Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 12:52 PM

121 posts, read 126,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Where did you live in Ohio?
Northeast Ohio, Chagrin Falls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2020, 12:58 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,664,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender_blue View Post
Cookeville would be a lot different weather than that area of Ohio. 7/8 degrees hotter in July and the same amount warmer in January. And much, much less snow.

Old 09-21-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Cookeville would be a lot different weather than that area of Ohio. 7/8 degrees hotter in July and the same amount warmer in January. And much, much less snow.
Yes, I'm aware of that. Just trying to get a sense of what it's actually like to live there.

Old 09-21-2020, 03:56 PM

111 posts, read 136,941 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info on snow. I imagine most of middle TN has about the same weather?

When I say 'older' home I mean a lot older. A 1930 house is my ideal, 1900-20s homes are often very nice. Even 1940 depending on the quality of the home. I am discovering that those are harder to come by in the areas where we are looking (Williamson and Maury counties, there are more near Cookeville.)

Realtor.com has flood zone maps so that is helpful.

The realtor I spoke with also said they can 'encapsulate' areas where mold is or can develop, so there are remedies.
Hi. I came to Cookeville from the northern midwest and I can just envision the types of beautiful neighborhoods packed with early 1900s homes you are interested in from the North. And Im here to tell you that unfortunately they just are not as common here (in the South) in the quantities that you are used to. However I think that you will find the tradeoff being that Cookeville is a growing and satisfying place to live.

I suggest you look on google maps at the Historic N Dixie avenue and N Maple for homes that you are interested in. They are beautiful neighborhoods. If you visit in person drive around the new construction between N Pickard and Fisk rd. Of course a lot of it depends on your budget. Good luck to you!

Old 09-21-2020, 06:55 PM

Hi there, yes, I know they are not as common. I am finding contingent/sold listings though so they are there. We definitely need to have boots on the ground for this mission, lol. Which we will, soon enough.

We are not looking only in Cookeville, it's just one option. But I will bookmark those streets for when we check it out, thank you!

Old 09-21-2020, 07:23 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,670 times
Quote:
Oh my goodness! I know exactly where that is.

My maternal grandma used to buy her furniture from Brewster & Stroud, when they were on the corner of Rt. 422 and ???? as you came down the hill from Auburn, into the square—- the “It’s A Wonderful Life” square when they decorate for Christmas

The big difference that brought me down here for retirement is there aren’t near the days of damp, cold-to-the bone weather down here, as up home. I think the most days in a winter that I felt a like I never left the OH/PA border was ten and I am outside all the time with my horses.

While my internal thermostat does not tolerate the summer heat/humidity too well, my arthritis does. I have no regrets moving down here- none - zip - zero

I think I mentioned earlier we get ice storms more than we see snow. My road does not have any winter maintenance, so it can be a slidin’ ride getting up and the hair pin curves at the top of two hills, lollol

Old 09-22-2020, 07:19 AM

That was a great furniture store. I can't remember if still there or not. They changed a lot of the 'downtown' which is actually a triangle, not a square, btw

Fun fact: Ed Asner (if you remember him) produced and acted in a film shot in Chagrin. I am actually in it for a very brief moment (choir scene in the gazebo.) It was fun meeting him. Tim Conway is also from Chagrin Falls, probably gave Ed the idea of shooting a film there. We thought we were Hollywood for 6 months in 1979, etc. LOL

I think we will probably adjust just fine. I've been watching videos on the general area outside of Nashville and I like what I see
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee