Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2021, 09:14 AM

55 posts, read 96,225 times

Advertisements

I am retired and wife works remotely.
We enjoy outdoors, hiking, boating and fishing. We would like to be close to lake or river , if not on it.
Love the small town atmosphere with amenities within hour away.

Live in Arizona now, originally from Alabama and lived half life in California.
I miss the green of this area. used ride motorcycles in Tennessee and fell in love with scenery and the people years ago.

All advice is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2021, 10:41 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthehunt49 View Post
I am retired and wife works remotely.
We enjoy outdoors, hiking, boating and fishing. We would like to be close to lake or river , if not on it.
Love the small town atmosphere with amenities within hour away.

Live in Arizona now, originally from Alabama and lived half life in California.
I miss the green of this area. used ride motorcycles in Tennessee and fell in love with scenery and the people years ago.

All advice is appreciated
I live near Cookeville which has become a wildly popular place for retirees, and it meets all of your criteria. Within 40 minutes of town there's 1200 miles of lake shoreline, 100 waterfalls, a dozen state parks, and lots of motorcycling. Cookeville has hosted several state and regional H.O.G. rallies, and our backroads are filled with motorcyclists much of the year. National and international fishing tournaments are held on our area lakes. An Olympic kayaker has set up shop in the area to take advantage of the beautiful rivers. And we're only an hour east of the Nashville airport which has nonstop flights back to Phoenix on American and Southwest.

Another advantage is gigabit internet which is available even out in the boonies. I'm 8 miles from the nearest gas station but have gigabit fiber internet at my house. Lots of people who are able to work remotely are choosing to live in this area and enjoy country living while still being able to work from home with reliable fiber internet.

Cookeville itself might be big enough for the amenities you need: Sam's Club, Publix, Academy Sports + Outdoors, over 200 restaurants, live music, breweries, coffee shops, etc. Otherwise Nashville is only an hour'ish away, less than an hour if you're on the west side of town near Center Hill Lake.

Speaking of Center Hill, here's a sampling of homes that have recently sold around there so you can see what it's like:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...1231873_zpid/?
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...1234683_zpid/?
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...1231620_zpid/?
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...93688418_zpid/

Cordell Hull is a smaller lake that's a bit more remote but still just an hour'ish from Nashville and a half hour to Cookeville.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...03819147_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...41554132_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...1557330_zpid/?
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...2971643_zpid/?

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-01-2021, 11:34 AM

TY for the informative reply. You seem to know lot about the area. you in real estate?

Cookeville definitely seems like a place to check out

Old 07-01-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
TY for the informative reply. You seem to know lot about the area. you in real estate?

Cookeville definitely seems like a place to check out
Thanks, but no I'm not a realtor although I enjoy dabbling in it.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-01-2021, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Thanks, but no I'm not a realtor although I enjoy dabbling in it.

what would be the comparison of Cookeville and Clarksville ?

Old 07-01-2021, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Clarksville is considerably larger than Cookeville, 160k vs 35k. It's home to a huge Army base and is one of the fastest growing cities in the country. It's a bit closer to Nashville, it's not as hilly as Cookeville, and it's close to a large national recreation area, Land Between the Lakes.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 07-08-2021 at 08:25 PM..

Old 07-02-2021, 09:17 AM

3,039 posts, read 3,308,574 times
Quote:
Clarksville may be 5th largest city in TN. Murfreesboro is next. Clarksville is on the border with KY. Home to 101st Airborne, Ft Campbell, a huge army base. With the war in Afghanistan over, hopefully all the troops will be home. On I-24 connection to Nashville & Paducah. I-69 to Evansville. Get Nashville TV/radio for news/information entertainment.

Cookeville maybe 1/2 way between Nashville & Knoxville on I-40. On the plateau so you get hilly terrain. Because of TVA dams, fishing lakes nearby.

Old 07-02-2021, 10:32 PM

319 posts, read 199,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
Cookeville maybe 1/2 way between Nashville & Knoxville on I-40. On the plateau so you get hilly terrain. Because of TVA dams, fishing lakes nearby.
Not the top of the plateau. Crossville is 800 feet higher and about 10 degrees cooler. US 70 has a dilly of a drop to get to 111

We looked at Cookeville, noted that it was probably going to be a boom town, and chose Crossville. Prefer the quieter region. It is becoming more popular because of Lake Tansi, a small lake/golf community. I'm glad we bought in two years ago because the condos in our small section are now 40-50K more than we paid in 2019. There are several internet providers with Spectrum being one of the most popular. I have a bone to pick with them, though. Raised our rates $16/month after the first year and another $15/month this year.

Old 07-03-2021, 11:12 AM
JRR

8,163 posts, read 5,654,439 times
We considered both Crossville and Cookeville and chose Cookeville four years ago. Cookeville seemed more vibrant and focused on families and retirees instead of so much on retirees. Plus the access to a larger medical system and a wider variety of shopping. But everyone has different ideas about what is the right place for them.

We are right at the foot of the first step up to the plateau and find that the temperature difference from Crossville to us is almost always 2-3 degrees

Old 07-03-2021, 11:40 AM

730 posts, read 814,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
We considered both Crossville and Cookeville and chose Cookeville four years ago. Cookeville seemed more vibrant and focused on families and retirees instead of so much on retirees. Plus the access to a larger medical system and a wider variety of shopping. But everyone has different ideas about what is the right place for them.

We are right at the foot of the first step up to the plateau and find that the temperature difference from Crossville to us is almost always 2-3 degrees
Exactly. The temperature difference between Cookeville and Crossville is only 2-3 degrees, not 10. And often they're the same. Right now (12:36pm) it's 79 degrees in Cookeville and 77 in Crossville. This morning's low was 54 in Cookeville and the same in Crossville. Plus, while the city of Cookeville is not on the plateau, parts of Cookeville outside the city, the 38506 zip code, are on the plateau (Buck Mountain, Brotherton Mountain). Here's a picture of downtown Cookeville taken from wikimedia, with the edge of the Cumberland Plateau in the background.

In addition, the OP specifically mentioned boating. That rules out Fairfield Glade where boats aren't allowed to make a wake, and in Lake Tansi only one of their lakes (550 acres) allows motorized boats. No jetskis or other personal water craft at any of the lakes. On the other hand, Center Hill Lake is over 18,000 acres and allows all kinds of boating, skiing, jetskiing, houseboating, etc. Dale Hollow is even larger at 27,000 acres, and Cordell Hull is around 10,000 acres.

Last edited by JMT; 07-03-2021 at 11:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee