Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2008, 04:12 PM

8 posts, read 33,572 times

Advertisements

My family and I (two adults, two children, two pets) would really like to relocate to the Maryville area in January (I will be graduating from Speech Pathology schooling). I have glanced at on-line housing and am only seeing homes for rent in the $1200.00+ range . Is there such a thing out there as a $700 home for rent (3 BR, fenced backyard, etc.)? We currently pay $600 for a 4 BR, 2 BA, garage, 1 acre of land, etc. I knew it would likely be higher out there but am getting discouraged with what I'm finding! Should we be looking at other areas? If so, what other towns are within commuting distance to Knoxville (I will be working as a Speech Language Pathologist and my husband hopes to get on the Knoxville Police Department) that have excellent schools, low crime, and a "small town" feel (with a Walmart, of course). Where should we begin our search in October when we begin making numerous trips for "house hunting"? I really just want a nice place to raise our children, surrounded by the company of that wonderful "southern" hospitality that we've fallen in-love with, and mountains somewhere close by!

Last edited by RLAlstott; 05-17-2008 at 04:27 PM.. Reason: add more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 04:27 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLAlstott View Post
My family and I (two adults, two children, two pets) would really like to relocate to the Maryville area in January (I will be graduating from Speech Pathology schooling). I have glanced at on-line housing and am only seeing homes for rent in the $1200.00+ range . Is there such a thing out there as a $700 home for rent (3 BR, fenced backyard, etc.)? We currently pay $600 for a 4 BR, 2 BA, garage, 1 acre of land, etc. I knew it would likely be higher out there but am getting discouraged with what I'm finding! Should we be looking at other areas? If so, what other towns are within commuting distance to Knoxville (I will be working as a Speech Language Pathologist and my husband hopes to get on the Knoxville Police Department) that have excellent schools, low crime, and a "small town" feel (with a Walmart, of course). Where should we begin our search in October when we begin making numerous trips for "house hunting"? I really just want a nice place to raise our children, surrounded by the company of that wonderful "southern" hospitality that we've fallen in-love with, and mountains somewhere close by!
Hi - I will try to answer some of your questions. Maryville city rents are high. It is because of the schools. I know of a pretty small house for rent in Maryville, 3 small bedrooms, 1 bath, tiny kitchen, carport, 1 living/dining combo on a .25 acre lot and it goes for $1000/month. Most of the houses for rent never make the internet or the paper. Usually word of mouth is how most of them are rented but in some cases the owner will stick a for rent sign in the front yard and have the place rented in a day or two. As far as your husband wanting to be a Knoxville police officer. Why do you want to live in Maryville? I personally knew one police officer that lived out here; but she married and his house was here. It is kind of an unwritten thing that Knox cops live in Knox. Yes, there are exceptions. Maryville city police and Blount County are both accepting applications for police officers until 5/31. If your husband wants to be a police officer, and you want to live in Maryville, why doesn't he do one of those? If I were you I would look at other areas. You can check the boards here for suggestions. I am not sure where you will be working but if you can give us an idea of where we can make suggestions on neighborhoods. I hope this helps a bit and I don't mean to come off so blunt. Sorry.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:24 PM

No offense taken by your "bluntness" at all! I appreciate the reply! I guess I just didn't want to live in a big city and have been told by SO MANY people that Maryville is just THE city to live in . In all honesty, because of this, it is the city I've really researched the most! If its common for most Knox police officers to live in Knoxville, I'm sure my hubby will want to stay with the trend (that's really the department he's most interested in). I just really want to live in a smaller community. Moving is a HUGE ordeal (I panic) but I am so in-love with Tennessee and that's making the transition mentally a bit easier! It's the logistics that are complicating! I will likely work in Knoxville or a community around Knoxville. Bigger cities tend to have more nursing homes and that's really where my interest lies! From the sound of it, Maryville is not going to be financially the best decision for us. What's Knoxville like? Are there schools that are better than others? I have a 9 year-old who is in the gifted program in our current school corporation and my youngest is starting kindergarten. Are there areas that are safer than others? Really, any suggestions would be wonderful. I feel like I couldn't possibly gather enough information on-line by just looking at all of the "numbers" and "statistics" and it's difficult to have those broken down into different parts of a city!
Again, thank you for your reply!

Old 05-18-2008, 06:42 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I would start reading the Knoxville forum posts. The chances of getting a rental in that price range in a decent area is going to be very tough. Getting the kind of house that you have now in that price range is not going to happen. Indiana housing is much cheaper than Knoxville.

Sorry. I'd rather that you know the truth ahead of time. Check out craigslist. Check out knoxnews.com.

And welcome to the forum.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:08 AM

I have never heard of "craiglist" before. I googled it and it's very helpful! Thank you so much! This is definitely something that we'll be using once we get down there and start searching for housing! Any resources as to how to determine best areas and school districts? How are Alcoa schools? What about Seymour?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee