Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 06:30 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenn or ozark bound View Post
Does anyone know about the quality of the new modular homes? The older ones had problems with ventilation?? (I forgot exactly what). The newer ones may have fixed this???
Here are bunches and bunches of different builders of modulars. I don't know much about all the different modular builders but I know lenders now see them the same as a construction built home. Now mind you, that is TRUE modulars,not mobiles. They must come in more than 2 pieces, no wheels or those 2 metal beams underneath that is the main supports. Be careful I have heard in the past that some mobile dealers were telling folks that they were buying a modular and it was really a mobile, so be careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 07:13 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
I have to disagree with folks who lump modulars in with mobile homes in any way.

They have one similarity: They're factory built.

That's it.

Our bank appraised our modular (by Integrity Building Systems in PA) for our construction loan, exactly like a stick-built home, and we received very competitive interest rates and have not been treated like second class citizens in any way. In fact, at no point did anyone even ask if the house was stick built vs. modular.

1. Modular homes are built in climate-controlled facilities, by people who have a specialized task to perform. The materials are machine-measured and there's very little margin of error; certainly less than a guy with a tape measure out in the blazing sun. There's none of the typical "Oh, geez, it's raining. Let me throw this together and get out of the storm". Also no exposure to the elements i.e. raining in a partially built home.

2. Modular homes are built to withstand the hardships of traveling hundreds of miles over the road on the back of a truck.

3. Modular homes are built to meet codes in large regional areas, not just in your particular town. So, your house may very well be built to standards that actually exceed your local building departments' requirements.

4. Modular homes are appraised, bought, and sold just like stick built homes. When it's time to sell your modular home, there is no statement that you're required to make about it being a manufactured home. Because it's as good or better than a stick built home. The only way to tell is if the buyer finds the code sticker which is usually hidden in a cabinet or closet within the house.

Our house cost $206K including many on-site custom features. I'm sure in other areas of the country it's far more reasonable. To put it in perspective, our 1/2 acre lot cost us more than our house: $215K!

The only thing to watch out for is making sure the finish work is done by a reputable contractor. There were several items after the house was assembled that we were not happy with; i.e. a shoddy spackle job or carpet job. This is not a problem related to the modular home, however.

We are thrilled with our modular and would recommend it to anyone. It took a little over 3 months to complete, during which we lived in a travel trailer on the property, and we couldn't be happier. (Note: it sure is cold for that midnight tinkle in a porta john in November!) Our home is already valued at around $475K and I fully expect the value to increase.

Anyone who feels a permanent home of any sort will decrease in value, I would be interested in seeing some sort of data on that; aside from fluctuations in the market or gross neglect, I've never seen a home actually decrease in value as it aged.

This link is to a group of pictures of our house being built. It was truly one of the most exciting times of our lives and we'll never forget it! These pics are from the demolition of the "bad house" which we lived in for a year and a half until we got our financing squared away, almost to completion of the home. August 13 was demolition day, and we had our CO on Christmas Eve.

http://picasaweb.google.com/frankieg...ConstructionNJ

Last edited by bbkaren; 01-11-2007 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: added detail

Old 01-11-2007, 09:23 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
What a nice house! I love the windows on the side. I am so glad you shared your pictures and experiences with us. And thank you for explaining it so well, I appreciate you! I hope you and your family will be happy for many years in that cozy home!

Old 01-12-2007, 06:21 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,964 times
Wow, great house. Great info!

Old 01-12-2007, 06:55 AM

Thanks! Well...as many years as it takes to save up to get the heck out of NJ and head down by you folks!!!

We so don't belong here.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:41 PM

Bumpin' for Amyevansmom! So I don't need to jump up on my soapbox again...

Old 03-13-2007, 08:55 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
That's the picture of a modular I've always had in my head. Never quite figured out why so many wouldn't consider one. Now that I've heard about mobile home dealers calling them modular I begin to understand.

Nice house! Excellent storage under the porch. Always a plus.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:03 PM

We love it, thanks! And...I assume the gallery worked okay for you? I'm not able to pull it up cause my computer's spazzing. Again.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:11 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Yes it did, and uh, I'm Tek_Freek (guess what I do for a living?)

Define spazzing.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:39 PM

176 posts, read 650,931 times
Default modular housing

There's a large modular home dealer on a main highway not far from Scranton, and they have over 30 model homes on their site. We stopped in one cold rainy weekend afternoon while down in the area, and we were pleasantly surprised. I don't think one would be able to distinguish the modular units from a stick built home. There were all types of floorplans, including some nice 3,000 sq ft center hall colonial models with many upgrades. These houses could be customized; there was a long list of options and upgrades available, and even the floorplans could be modified. For all practical purposes it would be like custom building a home. Unlike a mobile home, once the modular is on site it's not meant to be moved.
The primary difference is, as BBKAREN pointed out, that the modulars are built in sections at the factory, then assembled and interiors finished by the contractor on site. We saw a decent sized two story being built on town last yr.; it came in I think four sections (two upper and two lower) and the frame was assembled in two days. Not only is the quality supposed to be site controlled, but obviously the construction time is faster, too. If any of you have custom built a home as I have in the past, you know that there are plenty of delays and you almost never get into the house in time And of course they're never the builder's fault
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee