Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Tennessee: property development, residential construction, cabin, developer, traffic.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 11:47 AM

25 posts, read 68,929 times

Advertisements

Hello wanted to intoduce ourselves-Jerry & Marion from Florida soon to be Tenn.-We purchased residential land in WILDER mt ,BOBCAT LANE DOWN BY THE RIVER also lot 1A by the sales office=its the piece w/ the small existing cabin/gazebo/waterfall by the entrance-Here,s where we would like your input- Our plans are to build another larger bldg on site and have a smallgrocery store/mercantile type store-We will have room for a few more stores or offices and would love to hear from folks on there needs or views- As a furter resident we value your opinion and hope to be settled in by next year. Take a moment and contact w/ your wants we will contrruct another larger log dwelling on site-- welcome all opinions<pros and cons>Moderator cut: cut thanks in advance-hope to see and meet you shortly jerry & marion

Last edited by mbmouse; 10-24-2007 at 03:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 01:43 PM

14 posts, read 55,116 times
Hi,
We're Floridians Too!Hope to make the trip again in July/Aug 2007.I like the KOI pond and Gazebo at the entrance,very nice.We have lot 115A.We have not built. Was disapointed last year when we were up to see the property.I had selected it because of the natural landscape.I had invisioned certain trees and vegitation I wanted to remain as part of the landscape.To my dismay someone had been clearing for some reason,on our property.Scraping trees and plants off at the ground.I like the native Azaleas(red)they were plentiful on our lot.Now all gone.I hope they have grown back by now.
Hope to meet you both someday.
Candy,Alton and Aaron

Old 04-29-2007, 10:28 AM

5 posts, read 20,970 times
Default We too had some disappointments

Hi there!
I'm new to this thread and hope I'm using the reply correctly.
We also purchased on Wilder Mountain and are from Winter Haven Fl. and one day will be community neighbors. We own lot#17 on Parkstown Rd. My husband and I have been up there several times in the last few years and plan to build a cabin in 2010. We too were disappointed on our last trip. We have creek front property and our neighbors across the property have cleared their land and pushed their clearing into the creek. It would be real nice if one of the restrictions would be to clean up the debri left behind. This will become a real project for us if we have to clear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr1000 View Post
Hi,
We're Floridians Too!Hope to make the trip again in July/Aug 2007.I like the KOI pond and Gazebo at the entrance,very nice.We have lot 115A.We have not built. Was disapointed last year when we were up to see the property.I had selected it because of the natural landscape.I had invisioned certain trees and vegitation I wanted to remain as part of the landscape.To my dismay someone had been clearing for some reason,on our property.Scraping trees and plants off at the ground.I like the native Azaleas(red)they were plentiful on our lot.Now all gone.I hope they have grown back by now.
Hope to meet you both someday.
Candy,Alton and Aaron

Old 04-29-2007, 10:39 AM

5 posts, read 20,970 times
I like the enterance very much but was wondering... Are you connected with the developer?? You mentioned that you would like to open a store and some office buildings.
Honestly a small general store would be nice but I have some concerns about it. We purchased this property to get away from all the hustle and bustle. My concern is that if we as Association Property Owners start allowing offices and stores on the property. Where will it stop and what will the restrictions be. Something will be taken away from the peace and tranquility that was our intention for purchasing. If you have more details on this I'd love to here them. Please respond.
Ellen in Winter Haven Fl.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:16 AM

5 posts, read 15,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilderdreaming View Post
I like the enterance very much but was wondering... Are you connected with the developer?? You mentioned that you would like to open a store and some office buildings.
Honestly a small general store would be nice but I have some concerns about it. We purchased this property to get away from all the hustle and bustle. My concern is that if we as Association Property Owners start allowing offices and stores on the property. Where will it stop and what will the restrictions be. Something will be taken away from the peace and tranquility that was our intention for purchasing. If you have more details on this I'd love to here them. Please respond.
Ellen in Winter Haven Fl.
I agree with you about the general store. If you drive around the area you will find two general stores in the area with in a few miles. Also a pizza place that has great food and a small store that is known for its sandwiches.
I was just up there last week oct 07 and it was great roads have been fixed up and grass mowed. Still not a lot of building but lots of four wheelers all over the place.

Skip

Old 10-24-2007, 10:14 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
In order to make a store in Wilder viable, I think you may want to ask yourself how many full time residents it will take to keep it operating. I am willing to bet that the local folks who already live in the area will continue to shop at Tayes over in Cravenstown and Lanes over in Vines ridge, so your store will likely have to rely upon just the residents of Wilder Mountain.

As you will probably notice that many of the people who are moving into this development are escaping the urban and suburban sprawl of Florida and may not be inclined to desire such a store. The trip into Clarkrange is only about 10 miles and considering the lack of traffic on hwy 85, one would think a person would not mind such a nice drive.

If the business does not succeed, then you have an empty store at the front of the development and this is not very attractive to other residents either. I personally don't understand why people move into a very rural area if they really don't want a rural life style. Best of luck in your endeavors.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:10 PM
pdq

170 posts, read 527,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I personally don't understand why people move into a very rural area if they really don't want a rural life style. Best of luck in your endeavors.
I'm with you TnHilltopper, why do people want to keep adding convenience to rural areas? Why not move somewhere with more conveniences to start with?
How many years before Wilder gets a Super Walmart? Sound like a crazy idea huh? People have said crazier things that came true.

I'll never understand...

Old 10-25-2007, 09:01 AM

421 posts, read 1,691,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
In order to make a store in Wilder viable, I think you may want to ask yourself how many full time residents it will take to keep it operating. I am willing to bet that the local folks who already live in the area will continue to shop at Tayes over in Cravenstown and Lanes over in Vines ridge, so your store will likely have to rely upon just the residents of Wilder Mountain.

As you will probably notice that many of the people who are moving into this development are escaping the urban and suburban sprawl of Florida and may not be inclined to desire such a store. The trip into Clarkrange is only about 10 miles and considering the lack of traffic on hwy 85, one would think a person would not mind such a nice drive.

If the business does not succeed, then you have an empty store at the front of the development and this is not very attractive to other residents either. I personally don't understand why people move into a very rural area if they really don't want a rural life style. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Excellent post!

I've never quite thought of it like that but you're right on!

If you want convience move to Cookeville,Crossville etc... not Wilder.

There may be a NEED for it someday if the growth demands it but certainly not yet.

firepower

Old 10-27-2007, 06:21 PM

25 posts, read 68,929 times
Default update to wilder improvements

Hi Folks==Thanks for your comments and replies!! Mixed problems, and trust me, im not one of them!!!! Concerning any land clearing problems, what a shame but im sure w/a phone call to the wilder folks and/or the property owners somthing could be worked out?? RE involved w/ owners<Wilder> no im not=just a property owner of lot 24 on east bobcat point and owner of the property outside the property w/ goldfish pond/gazebos=Future plans might be for some constuction on this site something nice and fitting w/ the greatness of wilder,sbeauty. This is why iv asked for your wants and needs-what you would like to see or not see=im open to all sugestions=Certainly would like to retain the wilderness as is!!!!A point of fact is that all property outside of the propertys is county and able to be commercial-as was pointed out=at this time not much is needed. Many folks have e mail me w/ sugestion of a few B&B type cottages artsy?type shops but nothing has been firmed up at this time. Please keep the ideas coming pro or con as i do appreciate your views thanks jerry

Old 04-18-2011, 08:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,677 times
We are moving to wilder tenn and we just love the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville