Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 02:42 PM

3 posts, read 12,344 times

Advertisements

I have researched the Knoxville Tn area and am happy with what I have found. My concerns are: finding employment( for an accountant and a plumber), a great HS that assimilates "outsiders" , and making friends.
I have narrowed my choices to Maryville, Farragut, or Powell. I like a downtown which I think Maryville has. I like Farragut for the shopping.I like Powell for the cost of housing.
I also found Peachtree City ,Ga of interest. I like the community and resort living.It seems there is alot to do there and we could have some kind of social life. I am not sure if there are any jobs there or you have to go to Atlanta.It seems the traffic to Atlanta is a nightmare.
We are moving from Long Island,NY and have lived in the South before (Greeneville SC). We can't afford to make a mistake. Any help with any or all these concerns would be appreciated !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 03:50 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee29 View Post
I have researched the Knoxville Tn area and am happy with what I have found. My concerns are: finding employment( for an accountant and a plumber), a great HS that assimilates "outsiders" , and making friends.
I have narrowed my choices to Maryville, Farragut, or Powell. I like a downtown which I think Maryville has. I like Farragut for the shopping.I like Powell for the cost of housing.
I also found Peachtree City ,Ga of interest. I like the community and resort living.It seems there is alot to do there and we could have some kind of social life. I am not sure if there are any jobs there or you have to go to Atlanta.It seems the traffic to Atlanta is a nightmare.
We are moving from Long Island,NY and have lived in the South before (Greeneville SC). We can't afford to make a mistake. Any help with any or all these concerns would be appreciated !
I am in Maryville and we have plenty of plumbers. Also, there have been some very recent layoffs in our area and the job market is beyond tight. I recommend Maryville for many reasons; but cannot recommend it unless you already have jobs secured.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:51 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,350,104 times
DeeDee,
Have you visited and checked out your concerns for yourself?
If "resort living" suits you, then I can't see Tn. suiting you in any way.
Just my 2 cents
Pam

Old 01-08-2009, 04:17 PM
BST

451 posts, read 1,203,009 times
Currently live in Powell...work in Farragut...have a brother in Maryville. I'd recommend Maryville, based upon what you list as your criteria. It's still just 20 minutes from all the shopping in Farragut... and much closer to the outdoor recreation in the mountains.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:50 PM

I am new to forums, so please excuse me if I don't do this correctly. Thank you all for your replies. What I meant by "resort living" is GA has communities with lots of amenities. They have a clubhouse and have socials. We felt we made a mistake (felt isolated) when we moved into a SC subdivision without a clubhouse and pool. We have moved 4 times in the past all without securing employment first and it worked out. But I was concerned since I do not see alot of jobs for Accountants in Knoxville. My husband, a plumber, has contacted several companies and they are interested in him. I did contact a recruiter in Knoxville and he was vague about finding employment.
BST- Your response was real interesting to me and gave Maryville a big plus since you are familar with all areas.
I plan on taking a trip in March 2009. Any other insights greatly appreciated !!

Old 01-08-2009, 05:22 PM

<tap tap tap> Is this thing on? My mom lives in Farragut and loves it. More jobs on that side of town than Maryville. My friend since middle school lives in Powell and her husband is a dentist there; they love it and she things it is the best thing since sliced bread. As for clubhouse and pool developments in Maryville they are few and far between: Ross Springs and Savannah Park come to mind. Savannah Park is more of a mature community and is geared to latter middle age/empty nesters. Ross Springs is nice but it is not the "in" elementary in Maryville. Homes are generally priced a bit lower there and you can find some nice values. Farragut has a plethora of those clubhouse/pool neighborhoods. Not sure about Powell. Pam is right; you'll get a better feel when you visit in March. Many homes are getting ready to go on the market in Maryville due to the Alcoa and boat layoffs. The inventory should be plentiful then.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:45 AM

102 posts, read 429,910 times
I have lived in Maryville for 10 years, after living in Peachtree City 14 years. Personally, I couldn't get out of Peachtree City fast enough. PTC is a lot of things to a lot of people, but it is definitely NOT a resort. It's a high priced bedroom community for Delta pilots and flight attendants, corporate executives, and many, many wannabees living beyond their means. I was fed up with the pretentious attitudes, artificial lifestyles, and out of control govermental regulations. There's more, lots more, but I'll leave it alone for now. Whatever floats your boat.

We really like living in Maryville. It still has that home town feeling with friendly people, most ammenities, and reasonable home prices. When we need to go to Knoxville, it's ~30 minutes away. However, SMG is right. Jobs are in short supply around here right now, even in Knoxville.

Can't say anything about Powell as I've never been there. But Farragut has different things to offer. It doesn't have a downtown, but does have good shopping at Turkey Creek, which is row after row of strip malls on steroids. There's more subdivisions to choose from around Farragut, and no property taxes, but there's not much character there. It's more contemporary than Maryville, and is looking more and more like any other suburb in the country, but some people like that. Like I said earlier, whatever floats your boat.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixierambler View Post
I have lived in Maryville for 10 years, after living in Peachtree City 14 years. Personally, I couldn't get out of Peachtree City fast enough. PTC is a lot of things to a lot of people, but it is definitely NOT a resort. It's a high priced bedroom community for Delta pilots and flight attendants, corporate executives, and many, many wannabees living beyond their means. I was fed up with the pretentious attitudes, artificial lifestyles, and out of control govermental regulations. There's more, lots more, but I'll leave it alone for now. Whatever floats your boat.

We really like living in Maryville. It still has that home town feeling with friendly people, most ammenities, and reasonable home prices. When we need to go to Knoxville, it's ~30 minutes away. However, SMG is right. Jobs are in short supply around here right now, even in Knoxville.

Can't say anything about Powell as I've never been there. But Farragut has different things to offer. It doesn't have a downtown, but does have good shopping at Turkey Creek, which is row after row of strip malls on steroids. There's more subdivisions to choose from around Farragut, and no property taxes, but there's not much character there. It's more contemporary than Maryville, and is looking more and more like any other suburb in the country, but some people like that. Like I said earlier, whatever floats your boat.
Love this post, spot on! ~ "strip malls on steroids" ~ love that description! Howdy Neighbor!

Old 01-09-2009, 11:26 AM

Wow,this forum is great ! The information all of you are providing is so helpful. I would never have guessed someone actually lived in Peachtree City and in Maryville , what are the chances of that ! DixieRambler thank you so much for replying. Smokymtngal great info on the job situation with the layoffs in Alcoa. Peachtree City GA, I can finally get it off my list. I am glad to hear so many positives about Farragut. I was afraid it was going to be to "uppity". I thought if I lived in Maryville I could get employment in Knoxville. Is it too far away ? Also, is it loud in Maryville due to the Airport?

Old 01-09-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee29 View Post
Wow,this forum is great ! The information all of you are providing is so helpful. I would never have guessed someone actually lived in Peachtree City and in Maryville , what are the chances of that ! DixieRambler thank you so much for replying. Smokymtngal great info on the job situation with the layoffs in Alcoa. Peachtree City GA, I can finally get it off my list. I am glad to hear so many positives about Farragut. I was afraid it was going to be to "uppity". I thought if I lived in Maryville I could get employment in Knoxville. Is it too far away ? Also, is it loud in Maryville due to the Airport?
No noise in Maryville from the airport. I might hear a jet once a month (military jet doing maneuvers). Knoxville is a very doable commute but as we have said; the job outlook here is very, very bleak. Many accountants hitting the streets right now from all of the company closings (Goody's, Alcoa, Boat Manufacturers, Int Design company, etc.). Farragut has uppity people in it just like every other town, including Maryville. We just ignore them, bless their hearts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee