Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Email ad: documented caves, largest aquarium, artificial skiing surface, amusement park, country music

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 04:26 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,136,321 times

Advertisements

Yes, it is true. This email showed up in my mailbox today. I would just send a link, but the page does not include one - just an ad which I will not send. I have included the websites below that were in the email.

It should be flattering, but we know how those folks in Florida and Asheville and so many other places feel about the word getting out.

I do worry so about how native Tennesseans view this type of advertising. It makes one feel guilty being one of the newbies. I hope that we can all preserve E. TN in all of its beauty for those who are native to the state and love it so much.

Someone turn the lights out, please - okay?

BIG AD BANNER WAS HERE WHICH WE DO NOT NEED!

Eastern Tennessee
The New Hot Spot

It has more than 3800 documented caves. It's considered to be the Turtle Capital of the World, and houses an aquarium that's the largest fresh-water facility of its kind. It plays host to the world's largest artificial skiing surface, is bordered by eight states, and was the first place to bottle Coca-Cola. Casey Jones, the legendary derailed engineer, laid his head down here each night. It conceals the largest underground sea in the United States, is home to the nation's oldest African-American architectural firm, and has a city that bears the title, "The Birthplace of Country Music." It's Tennessee, a state that's rapidly developing a reputation as the place to be.

The Allure
What makes Tennessee so special? Let's begin with one corner of the state: East Tennessee, home to Knoxville, Chattanooga, and innumerable smaller cities that have a lot to offer - like Pigeon Forge, where Dollywood amusement park sets the tone for non-stop fun, from kiddie rides to thrills to fully-staged shows. Here you can ride the new Mystery Mine steel coaster, where a 1,811-foot track travels through an abandoned coal mine (think 85-foot vertical drop into total blackness) and, of course, immerse yourself in the sounds of music - from bluegrass to country to gospel to seasonal tunes. This holiday season, visit Santa's Workshop, enjoy the Smoky Mountains Christmas Festival, and experience Babes in Toyland, featuring a cast of 20 performers.

Last edited by mbmouse; 11-30-2007 at 05:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 04:35 PM

611 posts, read 1,999,097 times
What's wrong with retirees? Hopefully one day you we will all be retirees.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:46 PM

Wink Sorry, if I caused you any concern, RiverView. I was using the article humorously, but I am the only one who got it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverView View Post
What's wrong with retirees? Hopefully one day you we will all be retirees.
I am just pulling your leg on the retiree thing, RiverView. We are retirees, also, but it seems that no matter what state or area you are interested in retiring to, the locals blame their rising cost of living, pollution, lack of natural environment, dwindling supply of water, etc. on out of state retirees.

It is a valid argument in some communities, but for most average Joe retirees like us, and probably yourself, we are just looking for a pleasant, friendly, lovely area to spend our final golden years in. We hope to add something to the community and not take away. We hope to be an asset and not a burden. We hope to make friends and not let outsider pertain to us and our attitudes. We want to be sure that we don't try to change TN into the places that we are leaving. We want it to remain unspoiled (but, unfortunately, with a few more folks) for all of the great native Tennesseans we hope to be neighbors with here.

That email I received is one of the things that causes much consternation among those who love Tennessee just the way it is and fear that a great influx of those who don't have that appreciation will spoil it for everyone of those TN lovers.

I hope I didn't offend anyone. I was being facetious about the article and hoped that it would be taken that way.

Last edited by gemkeeper; 11-29-2007 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: added a thought

Old 11-29-2007, 05:02 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,698 times
I thought your first post was right on, gem!

You know what they say: too many cooks spoil the broth, or in this case, too many mountaineers mean no more mountains.

No offense to retirees. I, too, would like to retire someday-- like maybe tomorrow.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:19 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,245 times
Gee not only do we find ads for land for sale posted in FL, GA and AL but I found this advertisement the northern NH newspaper i follow just today. Makes you wonder how they even find these small town newspapers. This is way up in Northern N.H. in a town of about 10,000 people where the majority of them are very low income and living on the government.

TN LAKEFRONT PROPERTIES Located on Pristine Norris Lake Homes from $370,000 Lots from $75,000 Lake view properties for LESS Call Lakeside Realty 888-291-5253 Lakeside Realty Norris Lake Tennessee Property Homes for Sale

Old 11-29-2007, 05:30 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Oh, gosh. Kill me now.

The only thing stopping all of this crap is the poor economy and housing market. Those developers are desperate.

I've lived in a retirement area, and it can be a very tough situation for the middle class and families. Housing prices go up, service jobs that are low-paying are created.

Retirees are great. My parents are retirees. Ask me how much I love them. But tip the balance and they can create economic havoc.

However, there are not a lot of ANYBODY moving about the country, right now.

Still, gem, you might want to tell me about The Midwest. I am still seriously eyeing the area. My husband is from Chicago, and at this rate, it just might be affordable, next year. Heck, with the pay, it is affordable, right now.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:31 PM

611 posts, read 1,999,097 times
TN is finally being discovered. No income tax, relatively low property tax, yes we have a sales tax but so do states with an income tax, cheap insurance. TVA controlling the developement around the lakes (read no more land sold for private development) This doesn't hurt if you've invested in waterfront property. Pleanty of water, mountains, and outdoor adventure. People from the Northeast are discovering us as well as FL, CA (yes California) and the Midwest. Retiring baby boomers are not like out parents, they are active, healthy and looking for fun things to do. I look forward to retirement and sure hope there are no retiree haters when my time comes. Gonna be a few years though.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:47 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Tennessee was discovered a couple of years ago. The only thing stopping the stampede was the housing market.

Mid-westerners that are still working would be crazy to move to Tennessee, unless they have a really good job sewn up.

Either way, what happens in three years has no relation to what is happening now.

Old 11-29-2007, 06:45 PM

Wink We are all right on these points, I think. Check my pulse!

You know, all of these comments are valid. The biggest problem right now is the fact that even if the same number of babies are being born this year as last (which would indicate a negative birth rate since the population is greater), there is still an exponential growth rate going on in this country.

You are right, RiverView, about seniors being healthier and living longer than ever before. Therefore, even if we are now only having 2.1 children/family versus the 2.5 children a decade ago, there are more Americans now than ever. There has to be someplace for this overflow to live.

So, naturally, those with the means and nothing to hold them to any particular geographic area will be the ones to seek out the choice spots. This generally will mean either the independently wealthy who don't have to work, or the retirees who no longer will work.

Goodbyehollywood and daniellefort, we all see those crazy ads and wonder in amazement, "who are these people who can afford these communities and how did these developers ever come up with the idea to target Poortown, N.H. for future residents?" I must have missed the boat when they said "All aboard the gravy boat!"

These seniors and others looking for a better place to live have to be accommodated someplace. Right now, NC and E TN seem to be the promised land. We see what happened to parts of NC in the past 5 years. Prices have gone up insanely for real estate, so these ads are hitting someone in just the right spot!

Just as you pointed out, GBH, too many mountaineers do spoil the mountains. They have denuded them in parts of NC. I really would be heart sick along with all Tennesseans if that happened in E TN.

Who is going to stop the avalanche? Will my husband and I altruistically say that we will not build and move to TN? Can't someone make that decision and let us in? And, RiverView wants in, too.

There is no real solution to this dilemma. It is sad, but very true. Maybe this economic crisis, particularly as it affects the housing market, is going to help turn the tide to all of the checker board maneuvers. Maybe one or two precious areas can be saved and tucked away.

Hik, I don't think that you will find that things are any better economically in the Midwest right now either. It was really sad to drive through familiar neighborhoods in Michigan last week and see all of the For Sale signs out.

Our son, David's, brother-in-law is a realtor and just had to send his wife back to work as a waitress 3 nights a week and a retail clerk a couple of days a week. They are just barely keeping their heads above water.

Our son isn't worried about his job as an engineer at this point, but the auto industry affects so many facets of our economy country wide. He thinks the new home he and his wife purchased 3 years ago is now worth 75% of what it sold for then.

No one is secure. Can't say for sure about Chicago, but it has a horrendous cost of living. That is enough to scare me away. I think we are looking at a 5 year recovery, at least. I am definitely no economic expert, but I'm not dumb either.

We all have to hunker down and work together. And, let's leave us retirees to live in peace. I have a theory about the retirees who are living high on the hog, but I'll leave that to another thread.

(Sorry, this got to be so long!)

Old 11-29-2007, 06:58 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,698 times
I luvluvluv Chicago! It's a world class city, and there's so much to do... and so many good jobs. But I just have two words to say: wind chill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee