Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 11:11 AM

52 posts, read 344,995 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I have another thread titled "Relocating to Tennessee! Where is best??"...it basically explains that my husband and I are looking to move prior to the summer of 2010 and we are inquiring about the state and which area is best. Ofcourse work is a major concern for both of us which leads me to my next concern.

I am approx. 5 weeks pregnant. I have a very solid work history. This is my 3rd child. I am concerned with whether or not I will be able to find employment while expecting. With each of my pregnancies I have always worked right up until 1 week prior to delivering and only taken the standard 6 weeks off and returned to work. I plan to do the same thing this time around if all goes well. I will need an employer who will not discriminate on hiring me due to my being pregnant because I really do not want this to delay our move prior to the summer and both my husband and I need work.

I am currently a buyer for an automotive company in Michigan and my experience is in buying, project management, material planning, analyst, administrative, and customer service.

I am open to all areas because I am still researching exactly which area we will be living in. We have relatives in Murfreesboro but don't want to limit ourselves to just there.

I will appreciate any leads you can offer! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 11:24 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
I wish you luck with your job search, move and addition to your family.
In all honesty the job market in TN is not good right now and with competition for the limited positions, there wont be many employers that will hire a pregnant woman.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:28 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
The only thing I can tell you is that Knox County has the lowest unemployment rate in the state when comparing the state's largest metro areas. It was 8.3 for July. Still, that can't guarantee you a job.

I talked with a woman from Detroit the other day. She did marketing for GM. She's thriving in Knoxville, but she opened her own business. It is going gangbusters, though.

Old 09-15-2009, 04:58 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,206,471 times
The more mature automotive related companies are in the greater Nashville area, but with the new VW plant being built in Chattanooga, there should be more suppliers coming to that area as well. I don't know enough to say how the OEM companies are doing; except to guess that they are hurting along with most other parts of the economy at the moment.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:53 AM

52 posts, read 344,995 times
Default RE: Alleycat

Thanks! I believe it which is why I am looking to totally get out of automotive. I don't want my next job (especially if we relocate) to be in automotive.

I majored in journalism in college and I am currently working on writing a book.

I would like for my next job to be with a company that is exciting and different and one which offers growth from within. The whole corporate thing (extremely tight smug corporate thing) is over for me. Life has so much more to offer.

I want to love what I do and I truly believe it's possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee