Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 09:47 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times

Advertisements

Here on the plateau we have a mix of clay and sand as well but I think we have a bit more sand than you all do. There are some areas around my house that are almost solid clay and it seems weeds and native grasses are all that will thrive.

Rule of thumb around here is lime every second or third year, if too much clay, add sand and humus (or even shredded leaves and grass) if too much sand, add manure and top soil. The soil is generally acidic so things like Azaleas and tomato's grow really good but I too struggle with certain flowers and plants the prefer a more neutral or alkaline soil. I figure it will take about another 3 or 4 years to get my soil in tuned with specific attention paid to planting areas.

I am also considering buying a couple hundred pounds of wild flower seed and doing away with my grass in all but right around the house as mowing is for Quakers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 07:43 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kountrykitten View Post
I'm a Michigoner as well, just recent like 2 weeks. Jobs are terrible in Michigan so my husband finally found one here in Tennessee. I dug up alot of plants from home, and I had alot of them, from Butterfly bushes, to peonies, you name it I have it. Trouble is the clay is unreal. Have never delt with anything so horrible. My mom lives in Michigan too and has dealt with a gray clay garden and her things grow beautifully..What do I need to do with this red clay? Use sand? What else? Any help would be greatly appreciated..Thanks so much.
PS it was 76 here is Tennessee today and 20 in Michigan I love it. I truly Love it!
What part of TN are you in? Are you trying to replant these now or did you dig up the bulbs and trying to get the soil ready for spring planting?

Old 02-05-2008, 08:47 PM

185 posts, read 701,520 times
Try applying epson salt to the soil. It does wonder for my plants and gardens. You can get it at walmart, dollar store, drug stores and I'm sure some placees I haven't mention. The directions are on the bag or box whichever you buy. I especially like to broadcast over my gardens before a rain. You can use it on yor houseplants to.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:53 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainna View Post
Try applying epson salt to the soil. It does wonder for my plants and gardens. You can get it at walmart, dollar store, drug stores and I'm sure some placees I haven't mention. The directions are on the bag or box whichever you buy. I especially like to broadcast over my gardens before a rain. You can use it on yor houseplants to.
Really? How interesting. What does the salt actually do for the soil? Or does it act like a blooming agent?

Old 02-05-2008, 10:23 PM

It adds magnesium and sulfur to the soil. It makes the plants stronger, greener and it acts as a blooming agent to.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:44 AM

3 posts, read 8,527 times
MBmouse No I am not trying to plant them as of yet. I just went out the other day and dug in the ground and saw the hard hard clay. We live in Moscow about 35 min from Memphis. It is beautiful here just want some color and to be able to grow my plants with no problems. I was trying to get the soil ready for spring, I have Lillies, Iris, canna's, & Dahlia's to name a few to plant. Plus alot of seeds.
Rainna you mentioned Epson Salt how interesting..Will give it a try..Sorry to be so dumb but you mentioned that you broadcast before a rain? May I ask what that means?
I really appreciate all you help for a newbie in Tennessee.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:35 PM

kountrykitten, the epsom salt needs to be washed off the leaves, to keep it from burning them and after a rain the crystals will melt into the ground. You can water after you broadcast, (same results) but I think its easier to do it before a rain.
My roses and shrubs I work a teaspoon or 2 into the ground around the base of them.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:09 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,830,289 times
You might try a cup of Epsoms salt poured around the bottom of your peonies. I did that and had great results. This was in wyoming but a peony is a peony I'm figgering.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:37 PM

I haven't come across a flower or shrub yet that didn't like epsom salt. Hasn't anyone else ever heard of this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee