Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 06:42 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,235,559 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about the battery degradation as well. Nissan seems to be the only one that went with a passively cooled battery for the 1st gen Leaf, while the other manufacturers went with an actively cooled/heated battery system. The Leaf has had more dramatic degradations due to climate swings. I believe Tesla has a 5% degradation after 50K miles which isn't bad at all.

The anxiety people have over buying an electrified car tends to be a based on misunderstandings. Only a small percentage of electrified cars have had battery issues and even a smaller percentage of that already small percentage was not covered under recall or warranty. Because of this, the secondary market is a great way to try out an electrified car without investing much money. For instance, we bought our first hybrid in 2012 and our first BEV in 2017.

We bought an 80K mile old Lexus Rx400h for $18K and have since added another 100K miles to it. Zero issues with the traction battery and drivetrain; only issue was the original radiator plastic end-tank started leaking at 120K miles...$150 to replace. About a year ago, I started shopping for a cheap used EV and my wife vetoed the Leaf after spending 3 seconds inside. We settled on a 2013 Fiat 500e with 24K miles on it for $7,300 out the door. We've added 20K miles in 11 months of ownership and haven't noticed any drop in range. We will upgrade to a longer range vehicle when we feel it is appropriate, but for now the Fiat is the perfect for us. I've been thinking about getting a used Model S, but my would want to keep the Fiat. The sub-compact size is great for downtown metro driving. I wonder if Telsa will ever make a compact/sub-compact (Audi A3 size).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 06:49 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
I wonder if Telsa will ever make a compact/sub-compact (Audi A3 size).
Model 3 looks pretty close

Old 01-16-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Model 3 looks pretty close
Wikipedia had it listed as a mid-size car that is about the same dimensions to a Honda Accord, Audi A4, and MB C-Class. I'm talking about a legitimate compact. I suppose range would be limited to less than 200 miles if they have less space to work with.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:39 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
Quote:
I wonder if Telsa will ever make a compact/sub-compact (Audi A3 size).
2019 Leaf? Should be about 176 inches long (compared to 175 for the Audi A3) and Nissan claims the range will be about 225 miles.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:32 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
The anxiety people have over buying an electrified car tends to be a based on misunderstandings.
My concern is that they will be heavy and drive like a sled like the Prius. However I test drove a Volt and it was pretty nimble and then a Tesla and it was extremely nimble.

Batteries are not an issue. GM guarantees the Volt battery for ten years. They have had to replace like 2 of them. I do not see that as a concern at all.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:50 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,752 times
Quote:
I'm curious about the battery degradation as well.
I have a Model S (85D) I bought new in Apr 2015 with about 35K miles on it now. There has been NO loss in range.

I have a friend with a 4 year old Model S (P85) with about 150K miles on it. He's lost about 10 miles.

The Tesla battery system is FAR more advanced than any other manufacturer in terms of temperature regulation, charge tapering, etc.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:23 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My concern is that they will be heavy and drive like a sled like the Prius. However I test drove a Volt and it was pretty nimble and then a Tesla and it was extremely nimble.

Batteries are not an issue. GM guarantees the Volt battery for ten years. They have had to replace like 2 of them. I do not see that as a concern at all.
One should be more worried about spare body parts and whatnot. Tests doesn't actually make money, so what they do get cash in the kitty ain't going into anything but reserved vehicles when they can afford to build one.

All the body shops and no parts to slap on is kinda pointless

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foo...ter-night.aspx

Old 02-04-2018, 02:18 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Don't worry, engines and transmissions in ICE vehicles are pretty costly as well. A quote on engine replacement in an upmarket vehicle can easily be $10k+.
Or $70k, like a friend had to pay recently. Luxury car repairs, especially for low volume models, is expensive.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Or $70k, like a friend had to pay recently. Luxury car repairs, especially for low volume models, is expensive.
Yikes! I'm curious to know the car with a $70K powertrain. Must be an exotic supercar no? When I was buying a diesel for an experiment to run on recycled vegetable oil, I was drawn to a 1998 MB E300TD but the replacement motor was $10K. I opted for a 2001 VW Gold TDI since it came in a manual transmission, it was tunable, and a brand new replacement motor was only $3K.

As for used Teslas, they seem to be just fine. The initial owner might have more issues with the fit and finish (panel gaps, weatherstripping, etc) because they sunk more money into the car. Used car shoppers tend to be more tolerant to imperfections given that they are typically paying 30%-60% less. I know there have been a handful of power modules that have been replaced, but I've never seen anyone complain that it was out of warranty.

Old 02-04-2018, 07:30 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Quote:
Yikes! I'm curious to know the car with a $70K powertrain. Must be an exotic supercar no? When I was buying a diesel for an experiment to run on recycled vegetable oil, I was drawn to a 1998 MB E300TD but the replacement motor was $10K. I opted for a 2001 VW Gold TDI since it came in a manual transmission, it was tunable, and a brand new replacement motor was only $3K.

As for used Teslas, they seem to be just fine. The initial owner might have more issues with the fit and finish (panel gaps, weatherstripping, etc) because they sunk more money into the car. Used car shoppers tend to be more tolerant to imperfections given that they are typically paying 30%-60% less. I know there have been a handful of power modules that have been replaced, but I've never seen anyone complain that it was out of warranty.
Bentley Continental, engine only. He fixed the car.

Another friend had an engine issue with a VW Phaeton he had bought new, with a similar estimate. Both had the same engine. Given the value of the Phaeton he scrapped the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla