Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 11:38 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
That's OK, at $250,000 they will keep it out of the hands of many performance novices.
That’s funny that you’re correlating wealth with driving ability.

At track events I go to, the most expensive exotics are often the slowest in the novice groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 03:30 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That’s largely to do with it being a lot lighter. But it’s also not super practical.
The thing that’s holding EV back is the charge time it takes to get a full battery. Unlike a gas car were you pull up to the pump a fill the tank in a couple of minutes you have to wait 40 minuets to charge your battery. EV will never replace police or EMS vehicles. EV will never replace a gasoline engine entirely at least not in my life time. And as far as those apps you keep talking about were i live not everyone has a smartphone so so much for your app theory, i have a iPhone and i use GasBuddy but I’m not going to grieve 2 miles to save 3 cents a gallon when I have a gas station right around the corner from me, i value my time more than a couple of cents. And all that extra looking for cheap gas puts more wear and tear on your car. I’ll stay with my dependable gasoline engine car.

Old 11-19-2017, 04:44 AM

6,454 posts, read 9,816,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
The thing that’s holding EV back is the charge time it takes to get a full battery. Unlike a gas car were you pull up to the pump a fill the tank in a couple of minutes you have to wait 40 minuets to charge your battery. EV will never replace police or EMS vehicles. EV will never replace a gasoline engine entirely at least not in my life time. And as far as those apps you keep talking about were i live not everyone has a smartphone so so much for your app theory, i have a iPhone and i use GasBuddy but I’m not going to grieve 2 miles to save 3 cents a gallon when I have a gas station right around the corner from me, i value my time more than a couple of cents. And all that extra looking for cheap gas puts more wear and tear on your car. I’ll stay with my dependable gasoline engine car.
Now you use Gasbuddy??? Really?

He never said he was looking for CHEAP Gas lol Sir you really need to READ the posts here before making comments like that lol

Old 11-19-2017, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Now you use Gasbuddy??? Really?

He never said he was looking for CHEAP Gas lol Sir you really need to READ the posts here before making comments like that lol
I use GasBuddy only to check the price at sams club only to see if i should get gas there while I’m shopping, because i have a Kroger gas station less than a half mile from me. I’m not one to pinch pennies. I’m 62 years old I’ve driven many cars and trucks in my lifetime and by your name you hav or had a SVT Lightening F150. I have read his post he wants top tier gas maybe he has a GDI engine, i have one also i buy a bottle of injection cleaner when my manual says to, so i don’t go out of my way to get top tier gas. And we’re i live in metro Detroit the EV cannot survive, and I’m saying this even though the Chevy volt is made less than a half hour drive from we’re i live at GM’s Hamtramic assembly plant. Hell they just laid off people because of slow sales of the volt. But are working overtime at their truck assembly plant in Flint Michigan. So electric cars will never replace the ICE at least in my lifetime.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:31 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That’s funny that you’re correlating wealth with driving ability.

At track events I go to, the most expensive exotics are often the slowest in the novice groups.
No, what I said was that 250K will keep it out of the hands of most people - and that includes most novice drivers and people without experience driving performance cars. I said nothing about skill.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:44 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
They need to solve charging time problem (and distribution) with a better battery that doesn't depend on the limited supplies of lithium.

Old 11-19-2017, 03:45 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
No, what I said was that 250K will keep it out of the hands of most people - and that includes most novice drivers and people without experience driving performance cars. I said nothing about skill.
However, the whole point is to get EV into the hands of "most people".

Old 11-19-2017, 04:19 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Most people are novice drivers when it comes to performance cars. Income doesn’t change that. So there will be less cars total, but no reason to think the price tag will weed out poor/inexperienced drivers.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:26 PM

6,560 posts, read 7,139,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
When you drive around to look for the better price you are not saving money because you are useing more gas than you are saving. And if you want to go totally electric than have to figure out another way to back up the charging stations because you want to go fossil free right. So there is no such thing as a 100% electric car is their because it takes fossil fuels be it oil, or coal to make the electric car run and the parts to make it. I know there are nuclear power plants also but a majority are still fossil fule. And yes I’m from the Midwest we’re it snows and gasoline cars and trucks are king. A Tesla could not survive the winter climate here with snow storms and extreme cold, cold temperatures kill a battery.
I see a few Tesla’s everyday here in Twin Cities. Last time I checked, we have the lowest avg temp of any major city in the country.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
I see a few Tesla’s everyday here in Twin Cities. Last time I checked, we have the lowest avg temp of any major city in the country.
Do you see them driving in the snow or when the temps are in the single digits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla