Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 10:46 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,768,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Look up the price of gasoline in other countries
No question this and other factors drive interest in EVs in general; my thought was given the difficulties of selling and supporting a new make in the US alone, there would be little or no support for overseas certification, sales and support. While emissions is usually the big hurdle in import/export of cars, there are still safety and local-requirement issues, and not all countries just waive those for US certification.

Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 10:59 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,899,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Last year.
European countries have higher per capita sales.
China was the only non-western country with significant purchases.
Great again to see a new American Automaker making strides Tesla's time is coming, and everyone knows it. Tesla just opened up a new factory in NorCal to increase production for the model 3 Fremont is at max capacity.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Great again to see a new American Automaker making strides Tesla's time is coming, and everyone knows it. Tesla just opened up a new factory in NorCal to increase production for the model 3 Fremont is at max capacity.
Maybe this time they will leave room for workers on the line, since automation that can be speeded up past museum-display rates is a ways off.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-13-2018 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: Orphaned (reference to post which has been deleted).

Old 11-13-2018, 12:08 PM

4,630 posts, read 4,902,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Look up the price of gasoline in other countries
And tax incentives.

That's why Norway is #3. 8k sold in one year in a country of 5 million. Taxes are high on ICE cars, initial purchase and annual taxes. Annual taxes on EV are almost non-existent.

An example I found: v6 Camaro in Norway.
VAT 9000
Tax for weight: 15k
HP tax: 27k
CO2 tax: 72k
NOx tax: 1k

MSRP on the Camaro is 156k in Norway, tax is 125k.

EVs pay VAT and the weight tax only.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:29 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,556,322 times
Why is this surprising?

Tesla is an American company, and the United States is the second largest vehicle market in the world. Tesla is a luxury car brand with all of their vehicles needing to plugged in, so therefore there isn’t much appeal outside of North America, Europe, and East Asia.

A country like Norway might have the most sales per capita, but it probably only has 15 million people whereas the US has 330 million people.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:45 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Many big cities of China have restrictions on private cars, but those restrictions are not applied to new-energy automobiles. That boosts the sales. (China also has its own brands though.)
So electric cars aren't subject to restrictions in terms of getting license tags? I know that Beijing City has a auction to get plates...

Old 11-13-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
So electric cars aren't subject to restrictions in terms of getting license tags? I know that Beijing City has a auction to get plates...
Is that an auction for any plate at all, or the auctions that have been common there for many decades for "premium" plates? I recall an article from at least 25 years ago that the Hong Kong plate "888" had just been auctioned for some insane amount like US$500k. (8 is a prized number in Chinese; I am told it sounds like the word for "happiness.")

Old 11-13-2018, 12:57 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Is that an auction for any plate at all, or the auctions that have been common there for many decades for "premium" plates? I recall an article from at least 25 years ago that the Hong Kong plate "888" had just been auctioned for some insane amount like US$500k. (8 is a prized number in Chinese; I am told it sounds like the word for "happiness.")
It's basically a lottery system for allocation of license plates because Beijing (and other major cities) want to limit the growth of new car registrations. You have to bid for them, and the price has been going up for them...

https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Bidd...rices-in-China

Yes, HK does auction lucky number plates with auspicious numbers; that's a different matter altogether.

Old 11-13-2018, 02:19 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,301,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Why is this surprising?

Tesla is an American company, and the United States is the second largest vehicle market in the world. Tesla is a luxury car brand with all of their vehicles needing to plugged in, so therefore there isn’t much appeal outside of North America, Europe, and East Asia.

A country like Norway might have the most sales per capita, but it probably only has 15 million people whereas the US has 330 million people.
Norway has 5 million people. I was there last summer. Saw quite a few Teslas is Oslo. Also, rode on 2 electric ferries (mfd by Siemens)!

Quote:
I was in China last year. Don't know the deal in Beijing, but in Shanghai, EVs get green plates and they are dirt cheap compared with regular plates which cost thousands of dollars. They are also exempt from the driving restrictions imposed on gas vehicles. Based on the last number on the plate, gas cars aren't permitted to drive on a number of expressways in the city several days/week, similar to the restriction on purchasing gas in the US during the Arab oil embargo of the 70s. I saw another popular EV in China. Although I didn't recognize the logo, I was told it was a Buick that is made in China, only.

In Hong Kong, I saw more Teslas there than any other place I've been, including the SF Bay Area.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:49 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,763,680 times
Quote:
It's basically a lottery system for allocation of license plates because Beijing (and other major cities) want to limit the growth of new car registrations. You have to bid for them, and the price has been going up for them...

https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Bidd...rices-in-China

Yes, HK does auction lucky number plates with auspicious numbers; that's a different matter altogether.
In Beijing it is like a lottery. In Shanghai it is an auction.
Also, in many Chinese cities they forbid plates with odd/even numbers to be on road on certain days, especially during winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla