Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:01 AM

297 posts, read 896,692 times

Advertisements

I searched for this topic and found a few posts, most several years old. I'm looking for any first hand information as I 'explore' this possibility.

First, good 'ol uncle Google found a couple Texas builders that do this sort of thing. Reichardt Construction in Cat Spring and W.D. Metal Buildings down in Pleasanton. Has anyone had dealings with either company? Experience, comments, etc?

Second, does anyone live in such a structure or even been in one? Any first hand experience that you could share would be appreciated.

My thinking, at present, is about a 40 X 60 building with 800 sf (40 x 20) of living area and the rest used as a shop/garage/storage. A lean-to (12 x 20) for a porch. Which would offer the advantage of 2640 sf of roof collection for harvesting rainwater. A solar PV array could be placed on the lean-to roof if it can be oriented correctly but I prefer ground mount for easier 'old man' accessibility It would have to be built out of any city limits I imagine, on 1 to 5 acres with no covenants/HOA.

I believe a small Mini-Split heat pump could handle the cooling/heating IF it can be insulated very well ... the living area that is.) My biggest questions really revolve around being able to make it very well insulated (2 to 3 X code requirement) and tight ... minimum air infiltration.

Thanks for reading.

Edit to add: I will have to have it built at this point in my life ... I built a house in middle age and just don't have the physical abilities any more, arthritis, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 05:15 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,168,152 times
I have a friend here in New Mexico who is a retired engineer. He took on a project some years ago to erect a pre-fab qounset style building. Put it up himself with help of a couple of friends. I don't know the size but am guessing about 30 X 100 ft. The length can be virtually anything since it goes up one section at a time - indefinitely.

He built an apartment at one end where he lives - two stories high. The apartment end wall has a covered deck that extends from the upper floor.

At least one half of the building is his "hobby shop" where he experiments with various playthings of his own design.

The metal portion of the building sits atop a cinderblock foundation wall and concrete slab floor the full length of the structure.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:46 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,715,840 times
Aggie,
What part of the hill country are you looking to build in?

Have you seen this article about barndominiums in Texas?
Find Farm Credit : Rural properties, Rural property financing, Rural real estate

Barndos tend to work well for those that have lots of land (save money on house, put more $$ into land). The main reason why people build them is so they can save money, but it seems quite a few people end up trying to build a fancy house out of it--why? What's the point? Might as well go with a nice custom home. Anyways, keep your priorities in check as you make your final decision. Good luck.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:33 AM

579 posts, read 1,228,449 times
Check the local newspapers. There are many locals that build those type of structures. I know several people that live in them, or used them as temporary living quarters while they built their house, many also use them in place of hunting cabins.
The several that I have been inside, were actually really nice, and they didn't have problems with heating/cooling (didn't think to ask about what they were using though). Just make sure you insulate them really good. If I were to set up solar, I would use trackers. They are on the ground, easy to maintain, and maximize your ability to producer power since they track the sun throughout the day.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:14 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,078,038 times
Here's a previous thread on it too. It also quoted the same link that Texas Nick did in an earlier post.

Has anyone built a BARNDOMINIUM?

Old 01-22-2012, 06:34 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,618,662 times
There is a member here who has recently moved into his "barndominium". Find Oz in SC and send him a PM. He is a moderator and member of a couple of other forums I belong to.

Old 01-22-2012, 10:51 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,550,601 times
We lived that way for probably 10 years in South Dallas.

It was fun at the time. The 'hood got old before it got over.

The kids enjoyed it -- we would roll up the rug and roller skate around the "house."

They are asking that we build another.

I would recommend a window wall along the South side -- use old sliding glass doors from Craigslist or salvage. Overhang the porch on the South to protect from direct Summer Sun, but we will still get full Sun in the Winter. You could still do a sliding wall/barn doors over those windows if you want it to close up hard.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:08 AM
zix

79 posts, read 371,414 times
As far as taxes go, how does the central appraisal district know it includes living quarters to tax higher, if it LOOKS like a barn?

Old 01-23-2012, 10:20 AM

297 posts, read 896,692 times
OP here ...

joqua ... your friends solution sounds very interesting.

TexasNick ... I do not have a piece of ground yet but am currently around San Marcos ... this 4 to 5 county area probably. I had seen the article but it was a while back, thanks for the 'refresher link.' I know what you mean about priorities ... at present I'm focused on small, energy efficient, net zero if possible, water conservation and rainwater harvesting, etc. Perhaps I would describe it as 'plain and functional.'

die Eichkatze ... thanks, I am considering active trackers but some of what I read indicates limited advantage at this latitude?

LilyLady ... thanks for the link.

ETex2 ... thanks ... I'll be searching for him soon. It's interesting given that I was in SC for 27 years before I retired and came back home

Philip T ... I'm considering just such a configuration on the south side with the sliding barn doors to close it up when I travel ... which I hope to. Thanks.

zix ... not sure about taxes but one thought is that 'when' found out there could be a LOT of back taxes to pay. Probably better to get right from the get-go.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:50 AM

4 posts, read 12,162 times
Aggie -

Did you get that barndominium built? If so, let us know how it went for you. How did the experience line up with your expectations? I have built custom homes for 20 years and built my first "barndominium" 6 years ago without knowing it was a barndominium. My client loved it, and I have built several since then. They are so flexible in terms of meeting multiple needs / wants for my clients. So far, they have been a huge hit and I am just wondering how your experience was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas