Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you want Texas?
Sovereign State 16 40.00%
Union 24 60.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 02:08 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,536,538 times

Advertisements

Uh, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 02:57 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,962,139 times
Sorry to have posted such a rediculous thread. This happens everytime I get into politics with someone.

How do you delete threads, is it something only moderators can do?

Old 01-13-2011, 04:32 AM

32 posts, read 134,345 times
It is not that ridicilous. Texas was a country before. And Texas is one of the few states in the US with a strong sense of pride. Things are not going well in the US. Europe shows that the European Union does not work anymore. The future might be back to smaller countries. Only the future will tell.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:24 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,167,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurodawg View Post
It is not that ridicilous. Texas was a country before.
From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Many Texans believe that because it joined the United States as a country, Texas retains the right to secede.[3] However, neither the ordinance of The Texas Annexation of 1845[4] nor The Annexation of Texas Joint Resolution of Congress March 1, 1845[5] included provisions giving Texas the right to secede.

Texas did originally retain the right to divide into as many as five independent States[6], and as part of the Compromise of 1850 continues to retain that right while ceding former claims westward and northward along the full length of the Rio Grande in exchange for $10 million from the federal government.[7]

Old 01-13-2011, 08:08 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,502,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
From Wikipedia:
I'm chuckling at the $10 million number. In this day and age, it sounds like chump change. It's almost cute!

Old 01-13-2011, 09:52 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,897,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
Sorry to have posted such a rediculous thread. This happens everytime I get into politics with someone.

How do you delete threads, is it something only moderators can do?
O-Ducky - even though you invoked a passionate response, just being able to say something like secession without being imprisoned, tortured, "disappearing in the night" is part of what makes this country great.

I'm sorry I tore into you, but I personally believe most who bandy on about secession have no idea the gravity of what they are proposing. Leaving the union isn't like checking out of a hotel or turning in the keys to your car when the lease is up.

Secession will almost decidedly lead to another civil war. We've truly been spoiled because we haven't seen the horrors of all-out war on our mainland since the end of the Civil War. It was our costliest war ever in terms of soldier deaths. 600,000 men died during the Civil War. No war since even comes close to that total. The number of men and women killed fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan comprise about 1% of the Civil War's total (approx. 6,000).

Secession will also lead to economic upheaval. The markets will go bonkers. Prices on goods will likely skyrocket, making even the most trivial things seem like extravagant expenditures. Additionally, unless we're planning on halting construction, raw materials like steel will now have to be imported from other countries.

The common refrain I hear is about oil and natural gas, and without the union, I don't believe the Texas energy sector is as big of a playing chip as most think it is. We already get most of our oil from overseas and will continue to do so. If anything, OPEC will just pull a Wal-Mart on Texas producers and lower prices to the point where they bankrupt the competition, thereby making them the only game in town again.

Oh and that pesky southern border. It would take the Mexican drug cartels 6 months or less to overrun our southern border once they know they face absolutely no chance of reprisal from the federal government. They also won't have to deal with US Border Patrol agents because they're guarding against those "damn illegal Texans" in New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana. So now you're fighting a two-front war. A well-trained fighting force from the north and guerilla fighters who don't give a sh*t about the Geneva Convention from the south. You have fun with that.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:52 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,962,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
O-Ducky - even though you invoked a passionate response, just being able to say something like secession without being imprisoned, tortured, "disappearing in the night" is part of what makes this country great.

I'm sorry I tore into you, but I personally believe most who bandy on about secession have no idea the gravity of what they are proposing. Leaving the union isn't like checking out of a hotel or turning in the keys to your car when the lease is up.

Secession will almost decidedly lead to another civil war. We've truly been spoiled because we haven't seen the horrors of all-out war on our mainland since the end of the Civil War. It was our costliest war ever in terms of soldier deaths. 600,000 men died during the Civil War. No war since even comes close to that total. The number of men and women killed fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan comprise about 1% of the Civil War's total (approx. 6,000).

Secession will also lead to economic upheaval. The markets will go bonkers. Prices on goods will likely skyrocket, making even the most trivial things seem like extravagant expenditures. Additionally, unless we're planning on halting construction, raw materials like steel will now have to be imported from other countries.

The common refrain I hear is about oil and natural gas, and without the union, I don't believe the Texas energy sector is as big of a playing chip as most think it is. We already get most of our oil from overseas and will continue to do so. If anything, OPEC will just pull a Wal-Mart on Texas producers and lower prices to the point where they bankrupt the competition, thereby making them the only game in town again.

Oh and that pesky southern border. It would take the Mexican drug cartels 6 months or less to overrun our southern border once they know they face absolutely no chance of reprisal from the federal government. They also won't have to deal with US Border Patrol agents because they're guarding against those "damn illegal Texans" in New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana. So now you're fighting a two-front war. A well-trained fighting force from the north and guerilla fighters who don't give a sh*t about the Geneva Convention from the south. You have fun with that.

Exactly. I understand all that and thats why this is the most rediculous post I've ever posted in my life. The perspective that I have on the bigger picture is just tearing me up everytime I think about it but I'm not a politician, I praise God I'm not a politician, and from here on out I am going to make an absolute effort to NEVER ever again mention anything dealing with politics. This is the last time I'm ever going to even think about it.

That was my little spankin and now I'm moving on with life. God bless you all.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:09 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,342,356 times
Who is going to take away the Second Amendment? The U.S. Supreme Court (SCOTUS) rendered a decision a few months ago that makes it difficult for states to regulate guns at all and SCOTUS has never ruled against gun ownership. Do you think a president can sing his own order to take your guns away or that Congress can pass laws that SCOTUS says are un-Constitutional? Have you studied your own government?

As Texan living in Mexico and from a Texas family who was in the first settlers to Texas (Mexico) with Stephen F. Austin, let me explain what is wrong with Texas now: Too many crazies and ignoramuses have moved there from other states, which is one reason I moved to Mexico.

If Texas declared independence from the U.S., it would last about one second. Texas is a debtor state. It gets back more U.S. dollars than it pays to the U.S. The U.S. would kill all contracts with companies in Texas which amounts to billions, maybe trillions, close all U.S. banks like federal reserve banks, move all military bases, like Fort Hood the largest in the U.S.

If there is anything related to or dependent on the U.S., it will be gone. Courts, banks, loans, insurance, medicine, etc. Millions will be out of jobs.

What military will Texas use to fight the U.S.? The beer bellied blow hards who bellow that Texas should secede? Texas doesn't have a military of its own to speak of, maybe a few hundred in its laughable air force. The military you are thinking about are in the U.S. military. They are not going to side with Texas and fight the U.S. They work for the U.S. There wouldn't be one shot fired anyway when Texas sees all U.S. dollars pulled out and the Texas' U.S. dollars are worthless to Texas. Texas will be begging to go back.

If you think the U.S. is in trouble, you should have started to think that when GWB was president. GWB is another Texas transplant from Connecticut and another wonderful example of the he-man wannbe. Texas was a peaceful state until air-conditioning made it possible for the "I wanna be a cowboy" types to live there comfortably. Yep, those were the good old days, before the swaggering, and BS.

Please stop watching Faux News and learn something about how your government works.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:30 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,426,799 times
"When the 2nd Amendment is taken away"?

Where on Earth do you get that? Take off your tinfoil hat for a few minutes.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:05 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,192,079 times
Give O-Ducky a break. He admitted the thread was a misstep. Not many here are capable of doing so.

I think Texas would probably secede (or try to) if the 2nd Amendment were taken away. But that isn't going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas