Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 04:56 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times

Advertisements

For all the arguing and bellyaching that there is between those that do and don't appreciate San Antonio and Texas in general, it is important to acknowledge that like him or not, Gov Perry has managed to keep our state on track when so many others are in deep financial doo-doo.

THIS is a good reason to live in Texas alone...

California set to issue IOUs as fiscal crisis weighs | Reuters

Unprecedented number of states lack budgets with week left - Jun. 24, 2009

That says a lot given we have no state income tax (yes, I KNOW all to well high property taxes here), but no state income tax.

Sometimes you have to admit how bad things are in other locations to understand how good you have it in your current position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 06:46 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
FYI, the US government also has a few IOUs

Old 06-26-2009, 07:42 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Paka

Absolutely agree, the only problem is it seems everyone in California also realizes that and are now moving here if they can. While there is nothing wrong with that for the majority of them, some feel they have to try and mess this state up like they did that one!

Oh, and this thread will be moved to the Texas section of the forum in 3...2...1...

Cheers! M2

Old 06-26-2009, 08:45 AM

824 posts, read 1,816,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
For all the arguing and bellyaching that there is between those that do and don't appreciate San Antonio and Texas in general, it is important to acknowledge that like him or not, Gov Perry has managed to keep our state on track when so many others are in deep financial doo-doo.

THIS is a good reason to live in Texas alone...

California set to issue IOUs as fiscal crisis weighs | Reuters

Unprecedented number of states lack budgets with week left - Jun. 24, 2009

That says a lot given we have no state income tax (yes, I KNOW all to well high property taxes here), but no state income tax.

Sometimes you have to admit how bad things are in other locations to understand how good you have it in your current position.
Interesting point. I think giving Governor Perry credit for "keeping our state on track" is an underserved accolade. What keeps the TX economy in relatively good shape is our very low tax structure and low regulatory approach to business and development. And Perry can't take much credit for either of those things.

But where I'd agree with you is that the economic policies of the Texas Republican party and its leaders (in our libertarian-leaning Republican state) have kept the economy quite healthy. And this is coming from someone who rarely votes "R". Of course, having such a concentration of oil & gas companies doesn't hurt!

And I think it should be pointed out that the lax regulatory environment that makes TX such an attractive place to do business also gives property owners, builders, developers, and businesses broad liberties on what they can do with their properties (and gives our cities and counties very limited authority on regulating their activities).

Old 06-26-2009, 09:04 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,684,084 times
Perry told reporters he expects lawmakers to finish their work in “72 to 96 hours. I think that's three to four days, right? My Aggie math — y'all kind of check me on that.”

You mean this guy? ^^

Old 06-27-2009, 12:55 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Igive h9im alot of credit in keeping the state budget in balance and not going itno debt. I also think that Bush did a great job in uniting the legidalture of democrats and republicans. I wil vote for Perry agin by his results period.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:52 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I wil vote for Perry agin by his results period.
His results? In his position he's largely powerless, but based on the things he _has_ done there's no way in hell he'll get my vote.

Between the Gardasil mandate - done as a favor to his former chief-of-staff turned Merck lobbyist, his incessant push to put toll booths on every highway in Texas, and his overall attitude of arrogance and unaccountability, he's the second-to-last person I'd vote for, right next to Larry Kilgore.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:01 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
it is NOT Perry that keeps the budget out of debt --- it is the STATE CONSTITUTION
which Perry had nothing to do with creating (thank God)...
Perry is just a jerk and perfectly typical of most Texas politicians--
I so hope that either Kay Bailey Hutchinson or ANYONE will beat him in next election
he is perverse in his desire to be all things to all people (as in his adoption of any stance that is popular with people he thinks he can get to vote for him--religious right, states' rights, oil interests, small business owners)...
You can't trust Perry because Perry is all about himself--NOT Texas...
what Perry is angling for right now is a national presence so that he can be considered for vp for next Republican ticket for president

Old 06-27-2009, 09:45 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Igive h9im alot of credit in keeping the state budget in balance and not going itno debt. I also think that Bush did a great job in uniting the legidalture of democrats and republicans. I wil vote for Perry agin by his results period.
What on earth does Perry have to do with keeping the state budget in balance?

The State Constitution (don't bother to read it, it's about 500 pages long and confusing as hell) says that the budget MUST be balanced. It is not possible to pass a budget that isn't balanced because it will be stricken down.

Basically what happens is the Comptroller tells the Lege how much money they have to spend, and then the House and Senate start coming up with myriad ways to spend them. All Perry does is sign the bill at the end.

I don't even think a governor has vetoed a butget in a looong, looong, time.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:42 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
I wonder if the OP is from CA or just a Texan who does not know much about his state or state government--which would cover 90% probably
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas