Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 07:58 PM

81 posts, read 332,637 times

Advertisements

Out of those 3, it's no contest, San Antonio. I love San Antonio. It's a blast, and the prettiest of those 3 cities. Definitely avoid Houston. I'm sure the suburbs are Ok though but you'd still have to go into Houston every day for work it sounds like.

Like some have said there are many other great choices among smaller cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 7,765 times
Default San Angelo Texas is a great place

I posted this on another tread also. Try San Angelo Texas. My brother lives in the Hill Country the Canyon Lake area. Gorgeous country with great views but I can’t afford the price of stuff in that area. I live in San Angelo 1 hour from both I10 and I20. Three to three and a half hours from Austin/San Antonio and Dallas/Fort Worth. San Angelo is almost in the center of Texas and just at 100,000 pop. All around us is rolling hills, trees, and wonderful country views. San Angelo and the surrounding area is becoming a very popular area because of property value is much lower but is on the rise. I am a retired Police Officer and I can tell you crime here is very low. San Angelo is a small city or a big town and I would have to suggest San Angelo as one to look in to.

Moderator cut: realtor advertising

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 07-26-2007 at 07:46 AM..

Old 07-26-2007, 07:55 AM

81 posts, read 332,637 times
Well, I am in San Angelo and have grown up here, and I would agree. I'm moving soon to the Hill Country though, but not because I don't like it here. Cost of living is real low. I'm shocked reading how expensive it is in some parts of the country. I always considered places like San Antonio to be very expensive but apparently not.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:38 AM

96 posts, read 371,025 times
I think we have landed on either Cypress or Katy. More than likely, I will be working in the west to northwest part of outer Houston. The Mrs. works from home, so one of these areas is ideal for us.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:58 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
Slippery Rock University
For some reason that I have never looked up, they tell the Slippery Rock football score at every UT football game....I should do look that up, but am too lazy.

As for advice, wherever you end up, you may not want to convert 100% of your value into a larger house. You can save on taxes by not buying the most expensive house you can afford, and you will end up having to cool all the square footage, which will add up. A $300k house in either SA or Houston (or even Dallas, for that matter), will get you way more house than you will probably need.

Chester Ambrose (apparently a SRU alumni) has on his webstie
Quote:
The announcement of Slippery Rock's football scores is a tradition at University of Texas Longhorn football games. Longhorn fans cheer for Slippery Rock. The tradition was started by Memorial Stadium Announcer Wally Prior.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 07-26-2007 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: SRU info :)

Old 07-26-2007, 12:36 PM

657 posts, read 2,545,568 times
There's some nice pictures of some Cypress neighborhoods on this thread - http://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...nt-houses.html

Old 07-26-2007, 04:05 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Dallas is known for being the most sophisticated and white-collar of the cities you named, so you might not be able to find much at that price - especially close to downtown. You would have to go out but there are some work centers out to the north. I myself live near downtown but you could only find a fixer-upper for that price. But my area is appreciating at 10 to 20% per year over the last 5 years, so you would make money on your home. And I never deal with any traffic being so close-in. We also have good schools in the north and east sections of Dallas.

Old 07-28-2007, 10:22 PM

791 posts, read 2,223,207 times
PennTx, you've made a good choice. Northwest Houston is a really nice area. It trends out of the piney woods of east Texas to the rolling plains of central Texas. It has pine and oak and excellent soil. Yes, there are trees in Texas. It's not far from Brenham which is the home of the contented cow and Blue Bell ice cream.

The Cypress area is on the slope from the higher elevations of central Texas to the lower elevation of Houston and the gulf coast. Houston is at about 50 feet above sea level with elevations increasing to the north and northwest. Katy and the I-10 corridor are at a lower elevation and may tend to flooding. The Katy to Sealy areas have been good ground for rice farming.

You may note from a map, the Barker and Cypress Reservoirs, along Hiway 6, between I-10 and 290. This is to control flooding from the west, as in the early 1900's (maybe 1920 +/-) near downtown Houston sat under about ten feet of water from a heavy rain.

You'll learn to enjoy the weather as it is quite phenomenal in the Houston area with some most spectacular thunder storms.

On a final note, I once drove through Pennsylvania (something like across western WVA, to NYC) on interstate, crossing the Susquehanna. I thought Pennsylvania to be the nicest looking state between Houston and Boston and looking more like the area you are moving to than any other part of the drive.

Good fortune and welcome home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas