Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 09:32 AM

228 posts, read 537,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780
it's acceptance and liberalness is overrated due to the fact that it lacks a black population.
Yes, the "progressive" core of Austin is predominately white. This is also true for the "progressive" parts of Houston and Dallas.

Montrose, Upper Kirby, the Museum District, Lakewood, South Oak Cliff, Uptown--these "liberal," "progressive" neighborhoods in Dallas and Houston ALL lack significant black populations. See for yourself here: Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com.

Sure, Houston and Dallas have much larger black populations than Austin. But by and large, there are small black populations in the so-called "progressive" parts of these cities, too. The same divide exists in Austin; there is just less black people in the city to begin with. Just the fact that Austin lacks a sizeable but highly segregated black population like Dallas or Houston doesn't make its liberalness "overrated."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya
It's very sad when blacks can't even gather for wholesome events without some whites going crazy. Since when do minorities go crazy when whites gather for SXSW?
The Texas Relays are an unfortunately well-publicized case of sour race relations which exist all over Texas. I'm not by any stretch of the imagination defending the actions of these business owners during the Relays BUT--when was the last time thousands of black people converged on Lakewood, Uptown, or Preston Hollow?

These Dallas neighborhoods have demographics somewhat reflective of those of central Austin. I personally find it hardly surprising that some fraction of this upwardly-mobile population--despite their largely liberal political views--is going to be intimidated by this sudden, temporary demographic shift.

The fact that 30 years ago Austin was literally a small sleepy college town probably doesn't help matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 09:56 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
I think Austin's liberal-ness is over-rated and has been for a long time. Hippies aren't really that common either. Compared to Texas as a whole Austin has a younger culture a bit more in sync with the "creative class." It may be exaggerated slightly, but I think it is authentic. Austin is less black than either Dallas or Houston. It doesn't have a gay neighborhood. But gays are very present throughout Austin, more blended in the general population and neighborhoods.

The gold standards of liberal or progressive cities are probably Portland and San Francisco. Austin is not at all like either of them.

Even if Houston and Dallas are majority Democrat - I do not believe either of those cities are liberal either. They are both decidedly pro-business, pro-automobile, do little to limit suburban sprawl, do little to zone or restrict development, etc.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:01 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feconi View Post
Yes, the "progressive" core of Austin is predominately white. This is also true for the "progressive" parts of Houston and Dallas.

Montrose, Upper Kirby, the Museum District, Lakewood, South Oak Cliff, Uptown--these "liberal," "progressive" neighborhoods in Dallas and Houston ALL lack significant black populations. See for yourself here: Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com.

Sure, Houston and Dallas have much larger black populations than Austin. But by and large, there are small black populations in the so-called "progressive" parts of these cities, too. The same divide exists in Austin; there is just less black people in the city to begin with. Just the fact that Austin lacks a sizeable but highly segregated black population like Dallas or Houston doesn't make its liberalness "overrated."

The Texas Relays are an unfortunately well-publicized case of sour race relations which exist all over Texas. I'm not by any stretch of the imagination defending the actions of these business owners during the Relays BUT--when was the last time thousands of black people converged on Lakewood, Uptown, or Preston Hollow?

These Dallas neighborhoods have demographics somewhat reflective of those of central Austin. I personally find it hardly surprising that some fraction of this upwardly-mobile population--despite their largely liberal political views--is going to be intimidated by this sudden, temporary demographic shift.

The fact that 30 years ago Austin was literally a small sleepy college town probably doesn't help matters.
I would not say it is the same thing. While blacks may be priced out of inner loop neighborhoods, they are certainly not made to feel like they are not welcomed at business places. I was surprised by how many black people patronize entertainment establishments in the Heights and Montrose.

I don't think its the lack of black people that Jluke is concerned about, its the reception they get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I think Austin's liberal-ness is over-rated and has been for a long time. Hippies aren't really that common either. Compared to Texas as a whole Austin has a younger culture a bit more in sync with the "creative class." It may be exaggerated slightly, but I think it is authentic. Austin is less black than either Dallas or Houston. It doesn't have a gay neighborhood. But gays are very present throughout Austin, more blended in the general population and neighborhoods.
I am not to sure if by saying that Austin does not have a gay neighborhood you are implying that the other cities do have a gay neighborhood. Montrose is not a gay neighborhood. Montrose is where a lot of gay bars and clubs are located and some other gay owned businesses as well. Just like Austin the gay people in Houston and Dallas are spread out throughout the metro. So I don't think it is fair to say that the Gays are more blended in in Austin they are just as present throughout the metro, but converge in Montrose and Galveston for special events.

On that note, I am surprised that Austin doesn't have very many big gay events

Old 02-07-2011, 10:14 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:

Actually Montrose ,Upper Kirby, and Uptown all draw a large AA crowd. You even have urban clubs/bars in these areas.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:31 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,510 times
This question is answered very simply. Austin has a HUGE multi marketing campaigns that tell the rest of the world how "great" it is. According to the media campaigns, Austin is somewhat of a "godly place" where only the coolest people would live. Unfortunately, people in California (foolish people) buy into these rediculous statements and because of the downed economy in California, end up coming here.

But here's the reality of the situation.

* Austin has the highest housing prices in the state, causing most relocatees into the unpleasant and undisirable suburbs.

* Austin has the worst traffic of any medium sized city in the country.

* Austin has among the most corrupt city governments in the country.
Mainly by caring only about higher income people.

* Austin's "liberal" nature is HIGHLY exaggerated. It is nothing more than a large college town with it's liberal area being centered around UT. No different from Boulder or Madison. The vast majority of metro austin is extremely conservative (much like East Texas bible belt),

Of course, this is all left out in the multi media campaigns! Dallas and Houston get plenty of Californians looking for a REAL city with REAL city amenities. A reasonable cost of living and tons of jobs. As the quality of life in Austin continues to go downhill, places like San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston will continue to have a good steady stream of people from the west coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
There are 3 other major metropolises in Texas (each with its own gifts), but it seems that on this forum, they are always inquiring about Austin? why is that?

Old 02-07-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Of course, this is all left out in the multi media campaigns! Dallas and Houston get plenty of Californians looking for a REAL city with REAL city amenities. A reasonable cost of living and tons of jobs.
What do you mean by "tons of jobs?" No Texas metro has tons of available jobs right now and in that context it's worth noting that Austin currently has the lowest unemployment rate of the four major metros. If you mean that it has a fewer overall number of jobs than these cities, well, duh--employment figures tend to scale with the size of the city (although there isn't exactly a huge difference between Austin and SA).

You'll get no argument from me that Austin lacks in amenities for a city its size (e.g., major league sports, non-UT museums, etc.). Perhaps to many migrants from California and elsewhere, the amenities the city does have coupled with its proximity to other cities are enough. In any case, the overwhelming priorities in relocation are typically 1) jobs, 2) relatively cheap housing, and 3) good schools. Austin does offer these three things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
As the quality of life in Austin continues to go downhill, places like San Antonio, Dallas, and Houston will continue to have a good steady stream of people from the west coast.
I highly doubt the steady stream of migration into Austin is going to stop anytime soon. Keep in mind too that Dallas, Houston, and SA face many of the same challenges which are detrimental to their qualities of life as well. It's not like those cities don't have traffic problems, corruption/ineptitude in local government, crime, etc.

What's probably much more than likely to happen is that as the city of Austin gets more and more congested and expensive, more and more people and businesses will move to the suburbs, and population and economic growth in the city proper will slow significantly.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:15 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
What do you mean by "tons of jobs?" No Texas metro has tons of available jobs right now and in that context it's worth noting that Austin currently has the lowest unemployment rate of the four major metros. If you mean that it has a fewer overall number of jobs than these cities, well, duh--employment figures tend to scale with the size of the city (although there isn't exactly a huge difference between Austin and SA).
I think it has the lowest rate because it got the fewest people moving to the metro in raw numbers. people are flooding to Houston IN HOPES of finding a job. So while Houston and Dallas ARE creating tons of new jobs it is just hard keeping up with 175,000 (almost a quarter of Austins population) new people each year.

Quote:
I highly doubt the steady stream of migration into Austin is going to stop anytime soon. Keep in mind too that Dallas, Houston, and SA face many of the same challenges which are detrimental to their qualities of life as well. It's not like those cities don't have traffic problems, corruption/ineptitude in local government, crime, etc.
the quality of life they seek in Austin is totally different from that sort in Houston or Dallas. People prefer Austin over HOU/DAL because they love the outdoorsy hill country activities. Those who favor HOU/DAL over Austin like it for the job base, more amenities, direct flights, sports, etc. HOU/DAL isn't losing that imagine right now, but a megapolis encroaching into the Hill Country is not exactly the image Austin wants out there. They are more famed for their small town feel with more outdoors activities. Waiting for hours in traffic and overcrowding just doesn't shout small town anymore.

Quote:
What's probably much more than likely to happen is that as the city of Austin gets more and more congested and expensive, more and more people and businesses will move to the suburbs, and population and economic growth in the city proper will slow significantly.
I highly doubt that. Austin is still not very dense. Austin likes to think it has the better city planning from the cities in Texas, but crowding isn't the problem in Austin, it is sh^tty planning.

The density of Texas's major Cities are as follows

1. Houston
2. Dallas
3. San Antonio
4. Austin
5. El Paso
6. Fort Worth

Its not too many people that is causing the headache, it is poor planning.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:30 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I would just like to point out that I never said Austin wasn't progressive because it lack a significant black population; what I said was that it's acceptance and liberalness is overrated due to the fact that it lacks a black population.

Relations between blacks and whites is the strongest and have the most history. Race relations between whites and Hispanics/Asians/Indians/etc is MUCH different than it is with blacks and tends to be more controversial. Austin's true side come out during the TX Relays which is large event that attracts tons of blacks from all over the state; Me and my friends have been called racial slurs by passing cars, police taunt you and mess with you and many protest are organized throughout the city to get ride of the event [a few of these protest are fueled by racist intentions].

People talk about open-mindedness and acceptance in Austin, but many blacks know what Austin really is and how much the whole liberal BS is overrated. You don't have to agree, but my opinion still stands and this is strictly based on experience with the city.
That seems shocking to me, and I used to live in Austin. I could picture the frat people around the University doing that, but not Austin in general. Could I ask which part of town you were in? that's exactly what I'm talkin about. Austin may have a "liberal" image, but it is limited to certain areas of town,imo.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:27 PM

11 posts, read 18,219 times
Maybe it is because the majority of private employers in Austin and its suburbs SO happen to be California based companies. Intel, Google, Intuit, Yahoo, Cisco, Qualcomm, Adobe etc.. So perhaps Californians are relocated to work for these tech companies. See it as benefit to Texas as these transplants are more likely to be educated people.

YFY Texas is facing a projected $27 billion deficit. Looks like the Texan business model may not be working after all. Reason is pointed out in article.

Texas budget: A less rosy picture emerges of Texas' fiscal management - latimes.com

Last edited by NOVA Kate; 02-07-2011 at 02:56 PM..

Old 02-07-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
The density of Texas's major Cities are as follows

1. Houston - 3,897/sq mi
2. Dallas - 3,697/sq mi
3. San Antonio - 3,401/sq mi
4. Austin - 3,127/sq mi
5. El Paso - 2,447/sq mi
6. Fort Worth - 2,403/sq mi

Its not too many people that is causing the headache, it is poor planning.
I never said it was due to too many people. Note, however, I have filled in the actual values--the overall city density argument is lousy in any case, as all of Texas's major cities are dominated by low-density sprawl as evidenced by the very small spread in densities here.

Nowhere did I argue that Austin was "dense" or doesn't have room to grow. Indeed, I agree with you: Austin's congestion is a product largely of poor planning, not of population.

There are several factors that will likely act to mitigate future population growth of Austin proper: traffic congestion, school districts (i.e., lousy districts in areas where there's lots of room to expand), house prices, increasing crime, and resistance to density in many of the neighborhoods surrounding the CBD.

It's not that Austin proper won't grow--it's that I think it won't grow as fast as it has anymore, and that cities in, e.g., Williamson County are poised to see accelerated growth. Again, nothing to do with the city being too dense or overcrowded, but rather a variety of other factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I think it has the lowest rate because it got the fewest people moving to the metro in raw numbers. people are flooding to Houston IN HOPES of finding a job. So while Houston and Dallas ARE creating tons of new jobs it is just hard keeping up with 175,000 (almost a quarter of Austins population) new people each year.
Looking back over the decade, the average growth of both metros is much closer to 130,000 per year, with Austin averaging over 50,000 per year.

Also, in terms of raw numbers, Austin sees comparable domestic migration relative to both Dallas and Houston (and, in fact, saw higher domestic migration in raw numbers than greater Houston from 2000 to 2008) which is downright remarkable given the enormous size difference.

Don't think it isn't "hard" for a city of 1.7 million to expand its employment levels to keep pace with growth of over 50k per year (a much higher rate than Dallas or Houston).

Besides, you're kidding yourself if you think people aren't moving to Austin in hopes of finding a job. Just look at the last few pages of threads in the Austin forum and you'll see several posts about people moving to Austin without a job to look for work. For better or worse, Austin has been getting far more recent national press than Houston or Dallas for its job market--don't think that isn't having at least some effect...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas