Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:13 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,706,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcallen Kid View Post
And whats wrong with that?? Whether you like it or not, secularization is happing all the time, Tejas was once latino dominant, now its white dominant, and very well might soon be back to latino dominant. There's nothing wrong with that.

I have legitimate concerns that my future red-headed, blue eyed grandkids won't have the best opportunities in this state once Lationo's rise to 75%.

I never said there was anything wrong with hispanics as the leading ethnicity in Texas.

I said I believe many white people will leave when the state becomes about 75% hispanic.

Not all whites feel comfortable living in a majority hispanic state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 10:28 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
We're constantly being told that we must learn Spanish and English is fast becoming a distant second language.
Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous nonsense. Show me one Hispanic kid that goes all the way through public school in Texas that comes out not knowing proficient English.

And nobody is forced to learn Spanish in this country. You have to take a foreign language in high school, but it does not have to be Spanish.

Last edited by ClarenceBodiker; 02-21-2011 at 10:44 PM..

Old 02-22-2011, 07:18 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,690,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Why would INDIVIDUALS vote as a block? Some Latinos may prefer Big Government, higher taxes and taking guns away, while others may oppose those things.

Does it ever occur to you that it's possible for people with similar ethnic backgrounds to have DIFFERING world views?

Should ALL Latinos just fall in line with the notion that people opposed to ILLEGAL immigration are Latino-hating racists?
The subject of the thread is the growing political power of Latinos, I expressed an opinion as to why I did not believe that to be true.
In answer to your question, if they want to have power as a block they must first be a block

Old 02-22-2011, 08:32 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous nonsense. Show me one Hispanic kid that goes all the way through public school in Texas that comes out not knowing proficient English.

And nobody is forced to learn Spanish in this country. You have to take a foreign language in high school, but it does not have to be Spanish.
Oh yes it does. The schools here make Spanish mandatory in high school, and French, German, Latin, Greek - none are being taught. They eliminated all other foreign languages in some school districts and require the only one offered which is Spanish.

And take a look at some of the SAT scores, the TAKS scores in some schools especially along the border, and the drop out rates of over 50%. Kids are not learning English.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:00 AM

679 posts, read 1,802,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two4damoney View Post
But the problem is that they dont assimilate. Instead they expect us to assimilate to their culture in our own country. I've yet to see any other group of immigrants do that. What would Mexico say if I came through their country flying the American and the Texas flag demanding they speak english and tell them they have to press one for Spanish? You PC people all sound incredibly naive and completely out of touch with the real world.
My town is living proof of what you are arguing against... Years ago the Hill Country was flooded with German immigrants. Many started school here without knowing a word of English but they learned!! And guess what -- people flock from all over the state and the country to enjoy what the German immigrants have shared with us from their culture. Shoot, for better or worse, they've made a tourist industry out of it!

Out of touch? Really? Just how many Mexican people do you know personally? I know of many who have dreams and aspirations of success, and many of them have achieved it. I know adults who speak fairly good English but still take CE English classes because they know it's the right thing to do, for their future and their kids'. I volunteer in the schools and see how hard these children from Spanish-speaking homes work to catch up -- and they do!! These are just my observations based on talking to people in the community, my kids' friends, our friends. So who is out of touch?

Old 02-22-2011, 09:03 AM

I guess I can't speak for all public schools, but Spanish is not mandatory here. German is also offered and in fact, many of the Latino kids take German because they are already fluent in Spanish. But looking at Texas demographics, if you don't know Spanish, why would you learn any language OTHER than Spanish? Seems to be by far the most practical option.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:13 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,369,528 times
About assimilation look at that :

New York’s Little Italy, Littler by the Year

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/22/ny...ttleitaly.html

Italian-Americans are completely assimilated now, they're US-born and speak english fluently.
The same trends are occuring in the Cuban-American community, and you'll see the same thing for Mexican-Americans.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:24 AM

I would argue, though, that Mexicans are more likely not to move on, wanting "more", as the article says happened with the Italians. Not that they don't have aspirations, but family is so important to them that even if they go off to college, I bet a lot will come back to live where they were raised. No facts to back this up, these are just personal observations. It will be fascinating to see what happens.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:46 PM

674 posts, read 1,538,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
I have legitimate concerns that my future red-headed, blue eyed grandkids won't have the best opportunities in this state once Lationo's rise to 75%.

I never said there was anything wrong with hispanics as the leading ethnicity in Texas.

I said I believe many white people will leave when the state becomes about 75% hispanic.

And those whites now know how minorities feel.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:25 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,266,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post

I'm curious why you have concerns? What is it about Latinos that hampers opportunity? My family was one of about 4 Mexican families in a poor white neighborhood in E. Tx. A large percentage of my white childhood playmates spent time in the pen, and some are still there. I suppose you could say that living among white people should have hindered my opportunity, but that was hardly the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas