Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 03:15 PM

4 posts, read 16,599 times

Advertisements

Currently in New York area.

I have anywhere between 500k and 700k in equity in my home that I can use to purchase a new home or have one built. I might have a mother and brother moving as well so I would probably need a 2 family home. So having one built might be best.

Our kids are 17, 13 and 2 twins at 9 years old.

I will need about 5 bedrooms.

My pension is about 6k a month and I am willing to do just about anything for work. My wife has a income as well of about 2500 a month so we will have about 8.5k a month coming in without working.

My work was in computer forensics, but I can do anything.

I've been to Texas a few times to San Antonio area. A friend of mine as been to Austin, he expressed it was like the village in NYC but cleaner.

Trying to hear what areas might be worth scoping out that might cover my needs. I will need a college, a Junior High School and a elementary school.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 04:37 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-Mover View Post

I have anywhere between 500k and 700k in equity in my home that I can use to purchase a new home or have one built. I might have a mother and brother moving as well so I would probably need a 2 family home. So having one built might be best.

My pension is about 6k a month and I am willing to do just about anything for work. My wife has a income as well of about 2500 a month so we will have about 8.5k a month coming in without working.

I've been to Texas a few times to San Antonio area. A friend of mine as been to Austin, he expressed it was like the village in NYC but cleaner.

Trying to hear what areas might be worth scoping out that might cover my needs. I will need a college, a Junior High School and a elementary school.

Thanks in advance.
Can you describe your ideal setting? Based off of what you've told us, you could go with virtually any place in Texas. What did you like/dislike about San Antonio?

Old 05-03-2013, 08:17 PM

517 posts, read 1,052,227 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
With that income and capital, the question is do you want to buy the college or just take out a long term lease?

Cheers
Qazulight

Old 05-06-2013, 02:15 PM

Work wise, I would like to stay in technology, but honestly I would do entry level work at a gaming company if needed.

My concerns as everyones is good schools. Coming from NYC just about any school will be probably better then where the kids are at now.

Home wise I would probably like to build something new. Of course I'm not going to turn away a good deal on a pre-existing home.

I would commute up to 1 hour to work if needed. Again nothing will compare to NYC commuting..

I just want to be in a place where you actually can make friends with your neighbors if you get what I mean and everyone is friendly.

I know there is more out in this country then NYC. I'm just really done with NYC. My kids deserve better.

As an example this is the type of home I would be interested. http://legendarycom.com/floorplans2/...gton_S_BRO.pdf

I'm just a burnt out New Yorker. Its a great place for people without kids, but kids put a whole different spin on living.

As an example my current home is a 3 family home where I live in 5 rooms. 2 bedrooms, kitchen, living room and dinning room, Oh and 1 bathroom. I only have 2 boys atm but eventually I will have the 2 girls with me from a current relationship.

My lot size is 30x100. The home alone in that link I provided is larger then my lot size..

College wise I am willing to help out, but I would rather cut the kids a check at the END instead of paying it upfront.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:28 PM

517 posts, read 1,052,227 times
Quote:
Work wise, I would like to stay in technology, but honestly I would do entry level work at a gaming company if needed.

My concerns as everyones is good schools. Coming from NYC just about any school will be probably better then where the kids are at now.

Home wise I would probably like to build something new. Of course I'm not going to turn away a good deal on a pre-existing home.

I would commute up to 1 hour to work if needed. Again nothing will compare to NYC commuting..

I just want to be in a place where you actually can make friends with your neighbors if you get what I mean and everyone is friendly.

I know there is more out in this country then NYC. I'm just really done with NYC. My kids deserve better.

As an example this is the type of home I would be interested. http://legendarycom.com/floorplans2/...gton_S_BRO.pdf

I'm just a burnt out New Yorker. Its a great place for people without kids, but kids put a whole different spin on living.

As an example my current home is a 3 family home where I live in 5 rooms. 2 bedrooms, kitchen, living room and dinning room, Oh and 1 bathroom. I only have 2 boys atm but eventually I will have the 2 girls with me from a current relationship.

My lot size is 30x100. The home alone in that link I provided is larger then my lot size..

College wise I am willing to help out, but I would rather cut the kids a check at the END instead of paying it upfront.
A couple of things to consider, you will pay 2 percent of the price of the house every year.

Here is a list of homes with your criteria.

Page 3 | 5-Bedroom Austin, TX Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

Lake Travis is a ways from Austin, but the commute can be done I think. (I have never lived there, only visited) I think you will like Austin better than other places. UT Austin is there just right down the road from the state capital. Dell is around there some where also.

Then again you might like Dallas. It has a mass transit system, the mob runs Irving, and there are few colleges around.

Dallas is a lot more conservative than Austin, so you may be uncomfortable there.

I lived in Houston for a couple of years, I dislike it less than Dallas, (I consider Tyler, pop 100,000 plus almost too big). Houston is a city with less pretense than Dallas. It has more heavy industry, and a couple of universes, Universty of Houston, and Rice University.

Finally there is College Station and Texas A&M university, compared to UT Texas at Austin, it is conservative. There is no reason to move there, you kids will not want you around anyway.

I normally caution people about the brutal summers in Texas, but I spent a summer in New York City (St. George, Staten Island) it was hot and humid like Houston.

I don't know if you have a car, if so you understand the cost of one, if not be sure a budget money for them. You will need one for every person over the age of sixteen in the household. As you have a net worth you will need to protect it with an umbrella policy and that can get pretty expensive with teenaged boys on the policy. Moreover, if they have a car or not, if they have a license and they are your dependents you ought to insure yourself against losses from them.

In Texas, the school districts are independent from the local governments. As such they are not always lined up with city boundaries. The majority of the property taxes are school taxes. City taxes are the second biggest tax (generally). These can be substantial. I live inside the city limits of Nacogdoches (pop 34000) for the same house payment in the city limit bought 15 percent less house than outside the city limit. On the other hand, I have city parks, city police, city parks and I walk to work in 25 minutes.

Good luck

Qazulight

Old 05-07-2013, 12:14 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,777,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qazulight View Post
A couple of things to consider, you will pay 2 percent of the price of the house every year.

Here is a list of homes with your criteria.

Page 3 | 5-Bedroom Austin, TX Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

Lake Travis is a ways from Austin, but the commute can be done I think. (I have never lived there, only visited) I think you will like Austin better than other places. UT Austin is there just right down the road from the state capital. Dell is around there some where also.

Then again you might like Dallas. It has a mass transit system, the mob runs Irving, and there are few colleges around.

Dallas is a lot more conservative than Austin, so you may be uncomfortable there.

I lived in Houston for a couple of years, I dislike it less than Dallas, (I consider Tyler, pop 100,000 plus almost too big). Houston is a city with less pretense than Dallas. It has more heavy industry, and a couple of universes, Universty of Houston, and Rice University.

Finally there is College Station and Texas A&M university, compared to UT Texas at Austin, it is conservative. There is no reason to move there, you kids will not want you around anyway.

I normally caution people about the brutal summers in Texas, but I spent a summer in New York City (St. George, Staten Island) it was hot and humid like Houston.

I don't know if you have a car, if so you understand the cost of one, if not be sure a budget money for them. You will need one for every person over the age of sixteen in the household. As you have a net worth you will need to protect it with an umbrella policy and that can get pretty expensive with teenaged boys on the policy. Moreover, if they have a car or not, if they have a license and they are your dependents you ought to insure yourself against losses from them.

In Texas, the school districts are independent from the local governments. As such they are not always lined up with city boundaries. The majority of the property taxes are school taxes. City taxes are the second biggest tax (generally). These can be substantial. I live inside the city limits of Nacogdoches (pop 34000) for the same house payment in the city limit bought 15 percent less house than outside the city limit. On the other hand, I have city parks, city police, city parks and I walk to work in 25 minutes.

Good luck

Qazulight
Plus Texas Southern and Prairie View

Old 05-09-2013, 06:04 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
Well shucks pardner, we got all them der schools you mention, and houses like the size that you want der. Seriously, being from NYC and expecting to find NYC in Texas is silly. Texas is not NYC. No Broadway, Statue of Liberty, etc. I'd suggest you do more research. Texas is nothing like NYC and the people far different for the most part. Thank God for that.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:14 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,375,526 times
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Richardson, TX

Old 05-09-2013, 07:53 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,408,992 times
Plano, just north of Dallas, has great public schools and is a location you should consider. DFW area is good for IT in field. Dallas area is a large city where Austin is a nice smaller city. Climates are different as well as the vite. I believe West Lake schools system is a nice public option there along with Eanes if I recall correctly.

I moved to Houston from N. NJ NYC suburbs a long time ago and consider it the best promotion I ever had!

You might be better off with an existing home that is somewhat new if you can find one to fit your needs. Two families in one home could be challenging and modifying or building it with two kitchens are anything unusual could impact its marketability as I am sure you know and have considered.

San Antonio is a nice city as well, I like the west side of SA which is new and hilly country like Austin area is. Do you plan to visit to see each city or going to try to decide via long distance then make a trip later?

Welcome to Texas and good luck!

Old 05-09-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Well shucks pardner, we got all them der schools you mention, and houses like the size that you want der. Seriously, being from NYC and expecting to find NYC in Texas is silly. Texas is not NYC. No Broadway, Statue of Liberty, etc. I'd suggest you do more research. Texas is nothing like NYC and the people far different for the most part. Thank God for that.
Sorry if you misunderstood that I wanted NYC in Texas..

I want exactly the opposite.

I'm just looking to see what I can get or if it is even possible to get what I am asking for, for the money I have available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas