Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 07:07 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I also thought this thread was supposed to be about things we dislike that are somewhat specific to Texas. "Country music" is not.
Most things can't be "specific" to Texas (i.e. hot weather). However, country music is quite popular and somewhat synonymous to Texas.

http://www.countrystandardtime.com/b...ry.asp?xid=382
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 07:11 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
Most things can't be "specific" to Texas (i.e. hot weather). However, country music is quite popular and somewhat synonymous to Texas.

The Top 10 States for Country Music
Where???

Like I said, outside of certain things. Country is nowhere near the dominate music scene here in Texas. Nowhere close. I hear pop, rap, and tejano more than anything.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:11 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post

The Top 10 States for Country Music
Hot weather isn't unique to our state, but we are noted for having some of the worst there is. Country music isn't synonymous with Texas, but rather the South in general, and I haven't noticed that it's any more prominent here than in any southern states.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:45 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
The Title of this thread is: What Do You Like/Dislike About Texas?

So lets please stay on that topic...

Please, no name calling, bashing, hate speech, rudeness and inappropriate language, etc...

Thank you in advance.

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 05-15-2012 at 09:04 AM..

Old 05-15-2012, 11:15 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
One of the things I always hated about Austin-Bergstrom "International" Airport is that they often have country music (muzak?) playing in the terminal. It is so NOT Austin. Completely pretending to be something that Austin isn't and with which I think few in Austin identify.
[As I had mentioned] Actually country music is quite popular in many areas surrounding Austin. I also think that in general country music is more popular than most people realize.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:00 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,699 times
"Texas country music" is actually considered a sub-genre of country music. Just relaying a little musical facts for those who think country music ain't hugely popular here....you'd be wrong. We've even got our own style of it!

Old 05-15-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
"Texas country music" is actually considered a sub-genre of country music. Just relaying a little musical facts for those who think country music ain't hugely popular here....you'd be wrong. We've even got our own style of it!
Had DD said specifically that it was Texas country music that bothered him, I could've of understood. Country music, as a whole, is not exclusive to Texas, and I'm pretty sure all varieties can be heard on a regular basis here.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:57 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
This is still Texas, so as hard as we may try, we'll never be able to completely escape country music.

Now...Austin and jazz??? Talk about two things that just don't go together.
Austin Jazz Festival - Austin Texas Events

austin jazz workshop

http://www.atjs.org/

Welcome to the Austin Jazz Alliance website | Austin Jazz Alliance

Austinjazz.net - Austin's first resource dedicated to local jazz, fusion, experimental music. EST 2004

Maybe you should try visiting Austin. Perhaps, you could clear up some misconceptions you have about your capitol.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:11 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
When I lived in Austin there was jazz, but it definitely wasn't huge there. Certainly not the most popular. My Austin friends/family usually go to the big one in NOLA when they want a jazz fest.
You could probably use Google and also come up with a bunch of similar links for Houston, Dallas, etc.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
When I lived in Austin there was jazz, but it definitely wasn't huge there. Certainly not the most popular. My Austin friends/family usually go to the big one in NOLA when they want a jazz fest.
You could probably use Google and also come up with a bunch of similar links for Houston, Dallas, etc.
Austin's jazz history is linked to its black community, but like other things, it's been made into something trendy and seems to be part of the "Keep Austin Weird" campaign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas