Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 05:02 PM

219 posts, read 334,073 times

Advertisements

how does the utilities work in texas? do you guys only have one gas/heat/electric company like we do here in michigan? how much is the deposit? Can someone just explain it to me please? Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 05:12 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmykids08_10 View Post
how does the utilities work in texas? do you guys only have one gas/heat/electric company like we do here in michigan? how much is the deposit? Can someone just explain it to me please? Thank you in advance.
Texas is a deregulated market for electricity. In most areas you can pick and choose who you want to be your provider. The state has a website that lists all the electric providers who participate. It can be found at www.powertochoose.org.

Areas served by electric co-ops are typically NOT deregulated. You have one choice - the co-op.

IMHO deregulation in TX has been a total farce. Legislators screwed up big time when they failed to break up the vertical monopoly TXU had. The co-ops typically have lower base rates than most of the commercial providers, in part because they operate as non-profit organizations. They don't have to pay a blowhard board of directors 6 and 7-figure salaries.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:22 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Utilities in Texas have been deregulated. You can choose your provider and enter into a contractual agreement with that provider. Info on those choices can be found at the Power to Choose website.

In most cases those providers are simply re-sellers of electricity in Texas. The principle generator of electricity is TXU, the competition offered at Power to Choose is largely resellers of that energy. In short, a billing department under the guise of an energy company. Some of those choices do offer the inclusion of wind generated or other method generated electricity. If something breaks, you'll call your chosen contractual representative for help. Study... make a choice.

I stayed with TXU. I get a 10.5 cents per kilowatt hour rate, up to 1000 kilowatt hours, then it increases a cent. However, I get a 2.5 cent per kilowatt hour discount since I signed up for auto-credit card billing.

Depending on where you live, you will have electricity only or gas elec combination. Most apartments are now all electric. Many home are gas and electric. Gas is a separate utility, but I don't think you get much choice.

Bear in mind, where you live is going to make a difference in your electricity usage. And summer is the critical season. Coming from Michigan, I don't suspect you'll require much heat in winter.

In the summer, the heat can become... well, almost unbearable. Where you live, if in an apartment... upstairs or down. Facing south/north/east/west. Shade trees. Exposed windows. Most apartment are not going to be highly energy efficient. So, choose your locations and direction with cost in mind.

Sorry, I've had electricity so long that I don't know how much if any deposit. Sometimes a credit card guarantee will do.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:47 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
In most areas you can pick and choose who you want to be your provider.
Of the places I've lived, Dallas is the only city to offer a choice. It's certainly not common at all in East Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas