Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 10:53 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,976,309 times

Advertisements

I lived in Lubbock many years ago and have some familiarity with the social outlooks there, although no real sense anymore of the current standards. I'm not talking about political culture so much as social conservatism-liberalism/progressivism.

Between the cities of Lubbock, Amarillo, Abilene, Witchita Falls, San Angelo, Midland, Odessa (let's consider the two of them separately), which one do people think is the most socially liberal. I'm omitting El Paso from the list because of its geographic and demographic differentness from the others (although I realise the others span variously across the South Plains, High Plains, Red River Valley, and Permian Basin).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 11:02 AM

130 posts, read 579,139 times
I don't know this, but I would guess Lubbock because it has a large university, Texas Tech. That always makes a city more liberal. The speads for elections look so similar in these cities, I would say Lubbock being a college town would have to put it over the top as the only thing distiguising it from the others.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:06 AM

130 posts, read 579,139 times
Lubbock had the highest Obama percentage votes at about 32 and Midland the least at about 21.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:11 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,824,700 times
However I would not recommend cruising downtown dressed like this..... US Airways lets man fly wearing women's underwear

Old 06-23-2011, 12:36 PM

687 posts, read 1,577,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Between the cities of Lubbock, Amarillo, Abilene, Witchita Falls, San Angelo, Midland, Odessa (let's consider the two of them separately), which one do people think is the most socially liberal.
What a tough question! That's like trying to determine which city in Alaska has the balmiest weather.

All kidding aside, I've spent time and/or lived in all of these cities and would have to say the most socially "progressive" (it's so hard for me to use that term in the same sentence as any city in west Texas...ha ha) city would be Lubbock. I think having the major university there brings in a lot of people from other parts of the country and world who lend the city at least some level of social diversity. With that said, Lubbock is still very socially conservative. However, compared with cities like Abilene, San Angelo, and Wichita Falls--which I believe are likely some of the most socially conservative places you will find in the entire country--Lubbock is at least slightly less conservative.

With that said, as a left-leaning individual myself, I absolutely loved living in Lubbock and love west Texas in general. Beneath the conservative politics are a whole bunch of genuinely kind-hearted and caring people.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:05 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Lubbock for sure. Its still super conservative, but the university helps.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:06 PM

My tendency likewise would have been to say Lubbock, and at the same time to say that they are all probably really about the same. I had just wondered if anyone would come up with some surprising opinion or slant on the question, but I guess not.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:25 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,030,205 times
I'm from Abilene and live back here now. I lived in Lubbock for a while and I've also lived in San Angelo and Midland. I cannot tell any difference in any of those cities based on your stated criteria. They're all conservative, very conservative. Of the four, I would say that Abilene and Midland are probably the most conservative...lol.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:40 PM

I had wondered if in some way the more working class demographic of Odessa might make it more socially liberal (I hesitate to say progressive) than some of the others, including the more uppity-Bu****y Midland.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:24 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,573,645 times
I find the whole "liberal=progressive=accepting" premise inaccurate to begin with, but I get your question. I'd say Lubbock has the least rigid social mold because it's the largest, youngest, and most diverse of the cities you've mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas