Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2011, 05:10 PM

5 posts, read 6,416 times

Advertisements

I was recently laid off my job of 10+ years and currently on unemployment in the state of Texas. I would like to take a computer class at the local college, however, I've read the guidelines for TX Workforce Commission and it states that you can take a training/college course on condition that it does not interfere with the job search process and that the said person is willing to quit the class if a job offer were extended. There's more to it but that's the jist of it.

However, I've had dealings with TWC in the past (and their appeals process), and although they were clearly in the wrong, they still ruled against one of my siblings and refused to review any additional evidence of the wrongdoing. This is not uncommon (as I've learned) as numerous TX residents have legitimate complaints of unfair practices towards TWC yet are ignored. The system they have in place is the main problem. As a result, I wouldn't be surprised if they train their ppl to find any possible way to deny benefits and then do so. In any event, let's just say I do not have much faith with TWC and their practices.

In any event, my question is, do local community colleges somehow report that I am taking a course with them to some government agency or what not, and somehow TWC gets wind of this information?

I know that if you have financial aid to pay for a course, TWC is aware of that since you've taken a govt loan. However, does anyone know how the reporting process works if I just take ONE CLASS and pay for it out of my own pocket? Is there even a reporting process to begin with? Does anyone know for sure?

I understand some of you will tell me to just call TWC and let them know. I am leaning towards that, but my previous experiences and other horror stories I've come across is giving me pause.

The class I would like to take is a basic computer course that meets one day a week at night, after 8pm. It should NOT by definition interfere with my job search process as well as my availability work, but with Texas Workforce Commission you just never know.

So does anyone know if there is or how the reporting process works? I do not want to compromise my benefits while I am searching for work, but would still like to take this class, preferably without informing TWC.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. (Please no lectures. I'm just looking for the information)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 08:49 PM

5 posts, read 6,416 times
bump, anyone?

Old 08-12-2011, 07:19 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
can you call the college and ask--vs TWC

and I agree
there is no job search activity going on after 6 pm really unless you are doing internet search for leads

Old 08-12-2011, 08:14 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
I believe the guidelines for "job search" are clearly defined, and require a certain number of verifiable of job "contacts" each weekly reporting period. As long as you're satisfying that basic requirement, you should be in the clear otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas