Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 12:52 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,681,852 times

Advertisements

Just read this and it got me thinking...

Top Ten Reasons Why California Is No Longer The Place To Be Or Move To | The TechReader

It seems like the situation in California has really escalated in the past few years.There are SO MANY California transplants here in the DFW area and in Texas in general.I am starting to really understand what is fueling the mass exodus from that area.

I really hope Texas does not turn into a state with similar problems as California.What direction do you think this state is going in?Do you think there is a high probability of similar problems happening here that are happening in California?What are your thoughts on the immigration issue going on there and how that relates to Texas since we are also a border state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 06:19 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,719,018 times
I think that the population will continue to increase for a while. However, there will be a point at which housing prices become too high for some people, or a bubble bursts. This will cause a slowdown in migration.

Maybe some of the smaller areas of Texas will start growing. Who knows...

I could never imagine Texas having taxes like CA. But my fear would be that these CA minded people try to implement CA policies in Texas.

Old 09-09-2016, 11:22 AM

201 posts, read 237,639 times

Old 09-10-2016, 07:55 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,107,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethisarea View Post
Hahahaha!!! Great post!

Old 09-10-2016, 09:02 PM

199 posts, read 176,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
Just read this and it got me thinking...

Top Ten Reasons Why California Is No Longer The Place To Be Or Move To | The TechReader

It seems like the situation in California has really escalated in the past few years.There are SO MANY California transplants here in the DFW area and in Texas in general.I am starting to really understand what is fueling the mass exodus from that area.

I really hope Texas does not turn into a state with similar problems as California.What direction do you think this state is going in?Do you think there is a high probability of similar problems happening here that are happening in California?What are your thoughts on the immigration issue going on there and how that relates to Texas since we are also a border state?
The large cities in Texas are already growing way too fast! Developers are uprooting every inch of green space that we have, traffic is a mess and housing prices are climbing rapidly. I think that this will get worse with time since I don't think that California will improve or that our country will try to slow the legal/illegal immigration rate into this country.
That being said, I do think that the writer of the article hyper-exaggerated some of the points. I never heard of children being taught "alternative lifestyles" at an early age. This might have been an isolated incident in a Bay Area school. Homosexual and feminist propaganda in school?! Please. Yes, Harvey Milk Day is a state holiday. They might teach who Harvey Milk was and what he did, but that is a far cry from "propaganda".
I call extreme hokum on the claim that El Centro's unemployment is the State govts fault. The El Centro's economy and other economies are exclusively based on agriculture, which has been killed by the Drought, a natural cycle, not a function of state government. The UE rate might be extremely high in these agricultural communities, but I doubt that these are the people that the author caters to.
Paragraph 3 is poorly written. BASE State sales tax is 7.5%, still high, but not the 8-9% that she throws in there. State and local govts are allowed to add in local taxes on top of the base just like in other states. The highest that I've seen is 9.5% in Montebello, Calif.
I'm not a fan of illegals, but even they DO pay some taxes that none of us can escape, namely sales tax, rental tax, gas tax, utility tax, phone tax. Vehicle License registration. But I'd have to guess that they come out ahead in receiving state and local services relative to what they pay in taxes.
Paragraph 2 is also poorly written. It blends the problems of having too much immigration: LEGAL AND ILLEGAL. The writer lumps these two classes together as if they are the same thing. The LEGAL immigrants of Irvine and other cities are well to do Chinese who have bought up nearly the entire city to the exclusion of native natural born American citizens. It is a travesty. The illegals present an entirely different set of problems.

Paragraph 1 is very true, but ignores that rentals away from the coast and the major cities are still affordable. It's just her typical reader prefers not to live there. Due to Prop 13, the property taxes are not spread evenly among prop owners. New homeowners pay excessively high taxes because of the ridiculous prices, although the percentage is less than major cities in Texas. Older homeowners pay ridiculously low because their valuations are based on old values (when homes were affordable) with stabilized, regulated increases.

Why doesn't California do more to keep more of its productive citizens in their state so they can stop overcrowding ours?

Old 09-11-2016, 02:31 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,003,879 times
CA and TX as so different in so many ways, including philosophically and culturally. The problems in each state - and solutions - will remain markedly different. I wouldn't worry about it. Plus, TX is too strong of a place to adopt ideas from other states, especially CA. If anything, TX would move farther away from being like CA than closer. As far as knowing what TX will look like in the future, none of us have that answer and that crystal ball. Beware of anyone selling you those goods.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:49 PM

716 posts, read 540,191 times
have you ever thought the people leaving calif are not the libs to complain about but conservities who want out out of the hell hole calif has become?

many of us are hard working owners and high earners that have just had it with high taxes, lib policies and want to be with other like minded people -

having been born and raised in calif -owned my own business you think its easy to move from the state thats all i know? but the libs just want to take take take and blame me and others for not paying my fair share - hows 10% date sales tax hows gas tax almost 85 cents- how about fees for this fees for that - you think i want to leave a home that i have been in 32 years, remodeled worked my ass off to get it just right- to be ran out by these crazy libs? your wrong - the majority of us leaving as hard working conservative folks looking for a state that believes in self reliance - state rights - don't tax at every turn - we bought out house in crawford and have it rented till March of 18 - then we are out of here -so don't think we all are libs and want to change a state - you would be very wrong

Old 09-11-2016, 05:03 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,219,204 times
Why do we need to trash another state in order to be proud of our own?

Old 09-12-2016, 07:39 AM

173 posts, read 290,273 times
A lot of the Californians moving here are people trying to escape the politics and other issues associated with CA -- myself included. We aren't looking to change TX!

Like ikoolu said, it isn't easy to pick up and move to another state when CA is all you've known. I think it's safe to say that a lot of Californians are looking for greener pastures here, and the Californian migration to TX won't change its politics or lifestyle here.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:11 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Have several friends that moved to Texas... most like it and some have said Austin is not very different from California... also meet lots of ex-Californians in the Austin area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: