Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 05:01 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
You can't really argue that spanking decreases teen pregnancy rates when countries like Denmark, Finland, Sweden, and Greece have made spanking illegal but their teen pregnancy rates are much, much lower than the U.S.
The only proven method of reducing teen pregnancy is by EDUCATING teenagers about sex and providing them with the MEANS to protect themselves....

Beating the crap out of them with a belt until your arm gets tired doesn't do a damn thing to reduce pregnancy.....It's sad that you have to explain that to people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 05:04 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
I think the judge should receive a taste of his own medicine. Get a bunch of strapping bullies to wail on him to see what it feels like 16 times and belittle him as they do so. Do you think the judge will cry?

blkgiraffe I feel sorry for you if you think that behavior is okay. I hope to God you don't do that to your children if you have some but if you do then you should be reported. I cannot help but think that by condoning his behavior you do the same.

JMO
I don't think the behavior is necessarily OK; I clearly stated he went overboard, but I do believe people are exaggerating the extent of what happened. It's so easy in these times to throw out the word abuse.

If I ever do procreate *hopefully not*[keeps fingers crossed! ]; I will most likely use corporal punishment. I've used it on my nephews when necessary; however, I didn't do it out of anger; I handled it with control and technique. A few hits and I was done. That's where I feel he was wrong; he obviously allowed his anger get the best of him, but he still had control. Not once did he hit her in the face or bash her skull in.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
You can't really argue that spanking decreases teen pregnancy rates when countries like Denmark, Finland, Sweden, and Greece have made spanking illegal but their teen pregnancy rates are much, much lower than the U.S.
Yeah, but their whole government and societal culture is different than ours.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
The only proven method of reducing teen pregnancy is by EDUCATING teenagers about sex and providing them with the MEANS to protect themselves....

Beating the crap out of them with a belt until your arm gets tired doesn't do a damn thing to reduce pregnancy.....It's sad that you have to explain that to people.
This exactly what I speak of; you can never make a statement without exaggerating. Beating the hell out of someone and simply whooping a child are two different things.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I don't think the behavior is necessarily OK; I clearly stated he went overboard, but I do believe people are exaggerating the extent of what happened. It's so easy in these times to throw out the word abuse.

If I ever do procreate *hopefully not*[keeps fingers crossed! ]; I will most likely use corporal punishment. I've used it on my nephews when necessary; however, I didn't do it out of anger; I handled it with control and technique. A few hits and I was done. That's where I feel he was wrong; he obviously allowed his anger get the best of him, but he still had control. Not once did he hit her in the face or bash her skull in.
I am sorry, but according to the arguments you have provided, it's up to every individual parent to choose their "punishment method"...so had he chosen to hit her in the face with the belt, you would have supported his right to "choose his punishment method" on his daughter, correct? Because so far, that is what you have been saying, that a parents rights to "discipline" are sacrosanct.

Your demarcation line of abuse is "not in the face", mine is "don't beat a child with a belt at all".

I think you are being rather hypocritical in this thread, telling everyone not to judge this man. Just because he didn't cross your magical demarcation of abuse, doesn't mean that we don't get to say what we think.

It frightens me to know that there are people out there, like yourself, who can watch a grown man beat a 16 year old girl with a weapon and go "meh, the little witch had it coming, and hey, he didn't hit her in the face! No harm no foul. Maybe he shouldn't have cursed at her, but then again, this seems like a well deserved ass whupping"

Why does someone have to get hit in the face for it to be abuse? How is that worse than beating them on the arms, legs and torso? I don't care if your parents or aunts used to beat you all with table legs (I don't believe that ever happened at all). Who cares? If your uncle molested you, would that make it okay for you to molest some other child? Could you say "Dude, I got molested all the time and I turned out great!" That is the argument you are making. "I got beat, so everyone else can be beat too. It's no big deal!"

Last edited by JayBrown80; 11-03-2011 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: Missed a point

Old 11-03-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but their whole government and societal culture is different than ours.
So?

You said that parents don't beat their children enough anymore, and because of that it's no wonder that teen pregnancy is so high. You were establishing a causation between lack of corporal punishment and teen pregnancy.

Topaz pointed out that many countries don't allow corporal punishment, and their teen pregnancy rates are much lower than ours.

Your argument is "beatings lead to lower teen pregnancy rates".

Topaz proved your argument was incorrect....

So now you double down with your assumptions? "Beatings prevent teen pregnancy, unless you live in a country that doesn't allow beatings, and then beatings have NOTHING to do with teen pregnancy, b/c the government and societal culture is different"?

What argument are you making here? How many more caveats will you add to it so that you can make child abuse seem okay?

Old 11-03-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Beating the hell out of someone and simply whooping a child are two different things.
And I disagree with you on that statement.

And if I am reading you correctly, the behavior you saw in the video was simply an "ass whooping" and was not beating a child....so really, I dont think you know what you are talking about.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:22 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,743,388 times
and a handicapped child no less.........

Old 11-03-2011, 05:23 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Quote:
He won't be prosecuted because the statute of limitations has run out, but in my opinion, he shouldn't be a judge deciding child abuse cases, either.

The SOL has not run. There are different rules when talking about minors. I believe it is reaching the age of majority (18) + either 7 or 10 years.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I am sorry, but according to the arguments you have provided, it's up to every individual parent to choose their "punishment method"...so had he chosen to hit her in the face with the belt, you would have supported his right to "choose his punishment method" on his daughter, correct? Because so far, that is what you have been saying, that a parents rights to "discipline" are sacrosanct.

Your demarcation line of abuse is "not in the face", mine is "don't beat a child with a belt at all".

I think you are being rather hypocritical in this thread, telling everyone not to judge this man. Just because he didn't cross your magical demarcation of abuse, doesn't mean that we don't get to say what we think.

It frightens me to know that there are people out there, like yourself, who can watch a grown man beat a 16 year old girl with a weapon and go "meh, the little witch had it coming, and hey, he didn't hit her in the face! No harm no foul. Maybe he shouldn't have cursed at her, but then again, this seems like a well deserved ass whupping"

Why does someone have to get hit in the face for it to be abuse? How is that worse than beating them on the arms, legs and torso? I don't care if your parents or aunts used to beat you all with table legs (I don't believe that ever happened at all). Who cares? If your uncle molested you, would that make it okay for you to molest some other child? Could you say "Dude, I got molested all the time and I turned out great!" That is the argument you are making. "I got beat, so everyone else can be beat too. It's no big deal!"
Because the face is more sensitive which includes your eyes and mouth.

Also, I believe once you start hitting a child in face; that's when it become abuse. When I stated parents use different methods; I was speaking whether it was corporal punishment, taking things away, verbally, etc

Nothing extreme.

Quote:
So?

You said that parents don't beat their children enough anymore, and because of that it's no wonder that teen pregnancy is so high. You were establishing a causation between corporal punishment and teen pregnancy.

Topaz pointed out that many countries don't allow corporal punishment, and their teen pregnancy rates are much lower than ours.

Your argument is "beatings lead to lower teen pregnancy rates".

Topaz proved your argument was incorrect....

So now you double down with your assumptions? "Beatings prevent teen pregnancy, unless you live in a country that doesn't allow beatings, and then beatings have NOTHING to do with teen pregnancy, b/c the government and societal culture is different"?

What argument are you making here? How many more caveats will you add to it so that you can make child abuse seem okay?
No she didn't prove me incorrect; you can't compare things like this because America is completely different area and has a completely different set of rules and values. Those things affect us in how we are brought up.

Quote:
And I disagree with you on that statement.

And if I am reading you correct, the behavior you saw in the video was simply an "ass whooping" and was not beating a child....so really, I dont think you know what you are talking about.
I know exactly what I'm talking about; you just don't agree with my statement. You could argue with me about this until the next ice age, but my opinion will still be the same. There was no extreme physical abuse in that video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas