Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 10:47 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times

Advertisements

I'd say Denton is pushing the edges of being a small town, with about 130K population. It is also not far from two much larger cities, in a metropolitan area of 6.3+ million. To me, a 'small town' is something much smaller. I left because it was getting too big!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 10:59 PM

663 posts, read 1,725,010 times
I don't really know enough about Denton to comment on that, but I hope you find what you're looking for in Philly. Good luck.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:52 PM

30 posts, read 49,663 times
Default i have lived in Denton all my life

sometimes i wonder if anyone stays in Denton after college i grew up here but after a few month im leaving forever its just i don't feel there is a place for me anymore here i wonder why i should stay well my mom and dad are here but we don't get along well any more its just i don't want to leave denton but i i feel like there is nothing left for me most of my old friends from high school all moved out and i wonder if denton can be more than a college town because i wish there were more good paying jobs i want to be in the car busness but i think i will have to move out like i want to fix cars i guss i wonder do most people who are born and raised move out one day i want to move out not that i hate it but i don't think there are any jobs that pay well

Old 02-13-2015, 10:53 PM

153 posts, read 226,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclover12 View Post
I grew up in Denton TX ... most of the people other than the college student just work the same old low pay job forever and don't think there is a better life then here ... Im never going to like this town forever and ever.
Gee, I just *have* to offer my 0.0000002 cents worth.

My stepdaughter, who is a teacher with an M.E. degree, moved across country to Austin. One reason was that she hated to see most of her peers doing what the OP described: in sum, being in a rut, going nowhere fast.

If you have the chance to try something new, do it. You can move back to Denton later, but you probably won't want to. The old saying is true: "You can't go home again." The reason is that, once you leave home, you change.

I too left a small city. The old friends I knew have mostly stayed in their same ruts. I'm sure glad I left. I wish now that I'd taken more advantage of opportunities to move.

Some thoughts:
- Change is inevitable; growth is optional.
- You can be young once; you can be immature forever.
- Whether you think you can, or think you cannot, you're right.
- When you've made your last climb, you're old- whether 25 or 85.
- Man's mind, once stretched by new ideas, never regains its original dimensions.

Good luck!

Old 02-14-2015, 06:57 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Quote:
sometimes i wonder if anyone stays in Denton after college i grew up here but after a few month im leaving forever its just i don't feel there is a place for me anymore here i wonder why i should stay well my mom and dad are here but we don't get along well any more its just i don't want to leave denton but i i feel like there is nothing left for me most of my old friends from high school all moved out and i wonder if denton can be more than a college town because i wish there were more good paying jobs i want to be in the car busness but i think i will have to move out like i want to fix cars i guss i wonder do most people who are born and raised move out one day i want to move out not that i hate it but i don't think there are any jobs that pay well
You were leaving in 2011, when you were 26. It's 2015 now. What happened to the Philly move in 2011?

Old 02-14-2015, 09:28 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
Quote:
i don't think you will find what you are looking for in philly if you think denton is depressing you should drive thru n philly and see what depressing really looks like you live in the most economically thriving state in the country u should try some of the other cities right in your backyard dfw houston austin san antonio etc y did u not leave already u were talking about this four years ago moving away might actually bring u closer to your family it did for me i hate caps and punctuation

Old 02-15-2015, 12:25 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
This thread began in 2011--don't know if the OP went to Philly and then back to Denton before wanting to move again or if what is more likely--he was venting the first time and never left...

Old 02-15-2015, 04:51 PM

511 posts, read 838,466 times
It is kind of funny the two posts are several years apart. In that length of time I gave birth to twins, moved 1500 miles and lived on unemployment for a year, moved to Fort Worth for a position, went back to an old company working from home, started doing same job for AT&T and moved back to the town I initially lived in here, and am planning to move to the Plano area (not sure exactly) this summer.

OP, I hope you have taken the leap to and moved in the direction of the life you want

Old 02-15-2015, 04:53 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,212 times
Funny. I moved from Philly to McKinney with no intention of going back other than to visit.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:19 AM

267 posts, read 618,871 times
I drove through there expecting a Lawrence, Kansas. Oh gawd how I was disappointed. Most depressing college town I've ever seen besides probably Arlington. That said, the people I've met who go to UNT have been very chill, friendly people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas