Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 03:18 PM

7 posts, read 18,253 times

Advertisements

My hubby is graduating in a few weeks with his teaching credential and we had visited Dallas/Ft Worth, Austin, and San Antonio in the summer. We liked all 3 cities but thought that Austin met our needs best as my hubby wants to attend UT in 2013 after getting state residency. UT-Dallas does not offer the program he wants- so we thought that maybe Houston would be a better option if we can't get to Austin by 2013.

We are conservative, both grew up in big cities(SF/San Diego) but need to get out of the San Joaquin Valley(Fresno) area as it is killing us with worst air in the nation, poverty and no jobs. I have a great pharma job now and could transfer to Fort Worth or Houston now or wait it out for who knows how long to get a transfer to Austin or San Antonio or continue looking for a new job. We have an 18 month old so looking for a family type community - open minded to living in a downtown fun area that is good for families- if it exists- one of the reasons we were interested in Austin as we have traveled and lived in other countries.

My hubby can substitute teach until August but we need to try to get to Texas by April so he can start interviewing for High School English jobs for Fall.

we didnt visit Houston because we had heard that it was too hot/humid, poor, lots of traffic and with high crime rates.

We have a family member in the Dallas area and will have a great church in any city, although Austin was especially welcoming.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 04:18 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyda2000 View Post
My hubby is graduating in a few weeks with his teaching credential and we had visited Dallas/Ft Worth, Austin, and San Antonio in the summer. We liked all 3 cities but thought that Austin met our needs best as my hubby wants to attend UT in 2013 after getting state residency. UT-Dallas does not offer the program he wants- so we thought that maybe Houston would be a better option if we can't get to Austin by 2013.
I thought UT-Houston was specifically medicine and biotech... is that his area?

Quote:
we didnt visit Houston because we had heard that it was too hot/humid, poor, lots of traffic and with high crime rates.
Who told you that?
There wouldn't be the huge amounts of people flocking to Houston (and staying) if it were so horrible. It also makes lots of "best of" lists.

All of the Texas cities are hot, Houston is slightly less hot but more humid. Crime rates are almost identical in Houston and Dallas. Austin has lower violent crime but higher property crime. All three have bad traffic, one recent measure even had Austin worse than Houston and Dallas. San Antonio has the least amount of traffic of these. There is more poverty in Houston and Dallas than Austin which is also a smaller, less cosmopolitan city, but Houston also has some of the wealthiest areas in the state and recently ranked 1st in income growth.

Last edited by AK123; 11-09-2011 at 04:31 PM..

Old 11-09-2011, 04:36 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,582 times
Well, getting a teaching job is going to be tough even in Texas now. There will be more opportunity in Houston than those other places. The humidity here iin Houston is terrible if that is that important to you. Houston feels much, much more dangerous than Austin. Houston feels like a blue collar town (which it is while Austin feels much more intellectual and bohemian.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:00 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:

We are conservative, both grew up in big cities(SF/San Diego) but need to get out of the San Joaquin Valley(Fresno) area as it is killing us with worst air in the nation, poverty and no jobs. I have a great pharma job now and could transfer to Fort Worth or Houston now or wait it out for who knows how long to get a transfer to Austin or San Antonio or continue looking for a new job. We have an 18 month old so looking for a family type community - open minded to living in a downtown fun area that is good for families- if it exists- one of the reasons we were interested in Austin as we have traveled and lived in other countries.

My hubby can substitute teach until August but we need to try to get to Texas by April so he can start interviewing for High School English jobs for Fall.

We have a family member in the Dallas area and will have a great church in any city, although Austin was especially welcoming.

Any suggestions?
With more millionaires per capita than most cities, Houston is anything but poor.

Its the Oil & Energy Capital of The World. That notorious "smell" in Southeast Houston is the smell of money. Good thing all those refineries & factories are concentrated in one area.

THE Medical Center of Texas & largest of its kind in the World. Lots of famous doctors have called Houston home.

Traffic is no worse than Dallas & the freeways are certainly much more modern.

Crime is going to be high in any big city. Suburbs are of course safer, but can offer no guarantees. Welcome to life in the big city.

The hot & humid part is true about 8 months out of the year. It goes with living on the Gulf Coast. I've been in NYC in summer time when its just as hot & humid as Houston.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:34 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
The humidity here iin Houston is terrible if that is that important to you. Houston feels much, much more dangerous than Austin. Houston feels like a blue collar town (which it is while Austin feels much more intellectual and bohemian.
The humidity in Austin averages about 10% less. So though slightly better, it's still humid there to some people.

Montrose, the Museum District, West University Place, etc. in Houston feel just as intellectual and bohemian as anything in Austin. Likewise, there are parts of Austin, such as east that feel very blue collar town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
With more millionaires per capita than most cities, Houston is anything but poor.
Its the Oil & Energy Capital of The World. That notorious "smell" in Southeast Houston is the smell of money. Good thing all those refineries & factories are concentrated in one area.
Saying things like this just perpetuates the stereotypes people have of generalizing places like Channelview and Pasadena to all of Houston.
But yes, I guess good thing all of those refineries and factories are concentrated in one area, in the suburb cities east of town, where most of us don't have to ever see or smell them.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:51 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,966,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
The humidity in Austin averages about 10% less. So though slightly better, it's still humid there to some people.

Montrose, the Museum District, West University Place, etc. in Houston feel just as intellectual and bohemian as anything in Austin. Likewise, there are parts of Austin, such as east that feel very blue collar town.

Saying things like this just perpetuates the stereotypes people have of generalizing places like Channelview and Pasadena to all of Houston.
But yes, I guess good thing all of those refineries and factories are concentrated in one area, in the suburb cities east of town, where most of us don't have to ever see or smell them.
I didn't mean to say Houston doesn't have any culture or bohemian feel to it. Just not nearly as much as Austin. And honestly, bohemian may not be your thing. I spend a lot of time in Montrose, and Rice Village can be ok.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:16 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
I didn't mean to say Houston doesn't have any culture or bohemian feel to it. Just not nearly as much as Austin. And honestly, bohemian may not be your thing. I spend a lot of time in Montrose, and Rice Village can be ok.
I thought Houston had tons more culture than Austin. Austin Culture is narrowly focused. Houston is more broad.

I have many many many friends from Austin who come to Houston or Dallas for their Korean fix. I didn't even know Houston had a Guatemalan and Honduras part of town until I asked my friends from Austin from those countries why they come to Houston so much.

Having more of a college town feel does not equal culture. Austin is super for Live music, Houston is tops for Fine art, variety of music, variety of cultures. SO common. Austin has less Culture than San Antonio and El Paso let alone Houston and Dallas- Fort Worth.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:27 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,893,961 times
Good things come to those who wait. Hold out for Austin.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:57 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,449,471 times
Quote:

Any suggestions?
I can honestly say that in Austin you will take a major pay cut to work in your profession. Are you are pharmacist? Or when you say I have a great pharma job...do you mean that you work for a pharmaceutical company? I work in the medical industry and took a huge pay cut when I moved from Houston to Austin. 10K pay cut to do the same job as I did here in Houston. I also heard many other medical professionals talking about the lower salaries offered in Austin. I could not wait for the day that I was going to move out of Austin...that was the most enjoyable move I have ever experienced!

Houston is hot and humid for 6 months out of the year but has nice weather the other 6 months. Houston will offer much opportunities in many areas vs. Austin...however Houston does not have as many pharma jobs as Austin. If I had to choose between Houston or Ft. Worth I would pick Houston for many reasons but mainly due to the diversity.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:12 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
[color=black][FONT=Verdana

Houston is hot and humid for 6 months out of the year but has nice weather the other 6 months. Houston will offer much opportunities in many areas vs. Austin...however Houston does not have as many pharma jobs as Austin. If I had to choose between Houston or Ft. Worth I would pick Houston for many reasons but mainly due to the diversity.
I wish it wasn't so hot and humid for so long, but does it really bother you that much? It doesn't bother me that much, but am I the only one?? Most people only spend a few minutes out in the heat esp professionals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas