Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2006, 11:38 AM

29 posts, read 139,045 times

Advertisements

I've posted here before... i've been looking for a job in austin, tx... this burnet, tx seems to be nice (and there is a job there)... but what do i need to know about "HILL COUNTRY" ??
any comments, suggestions???? any info would be greatly appreciated....!!!

thanks,

*jessy*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2006, 03:04 PM

92 posts, read 673,670 times
Default Burnet: not a bad choice

Burnet: Hill country is very nice..not mountains by any means, but nice.
Close to Lake Buchanan (home to American Bald Eagles and on the Highland Lakes chain of lakes that lead to Austin); nearby Marble Falls is perhaps more scenic
Climate: summertime, it's hot everywhere in Texas, but being this far inland, much less humid than nearer coast (where I've lived before), and the lower humidity (approx. 30-50% range in summer) makes a lot of difference to me in comfort compared to nearer coast;
Fall starts after Sept, and it finally starts to cool down after that..
Winters: very unpredictable...last winter we barely had much freezing temps.....a coupla winters ago, we've had snow and ice storms (that usually only shut things down for maybe 2 days at a time)...we can go years w/o any snow or ice;
Coupla Februaries ago: during the very same month, we had record-setting 100+ days, and within a week, several days in a row in the teens and twenties...less than 10 years ago we had two pretty severe ice storms within the two months of Jan-Feb....you never know.
May is historically the rainiest month.
Haven't spent much time in Burnet, but the little I did, people seemed friendly.
Deer hunting season: Llano (west of Burnet) gets lots of visiting hunters, but the locals seem to embrace them for the $ they spend while there.
I'd imagine Burnet would get a fair share of winter deer hunters, too.
Drive to Austin from Burnet is not very prohibitive at all, if you wanna take advantage of the "culture" and cultural events going in that marvelous, diverse, laid-back city.
So my limited observations of Burnet (usually has a pretty darned good HS football team the Bulldogs, in a state where Football is King) wouldn't be a bad choice...might consider looking to see what you can find out about Marble Falls, more scenic and about 14 mi. S. of Burnet. (Look at your Texas map: prettier scenery closer to the Highland Lakes Chain (Lake Buchanan, Inks Lake, Lake Marble Falls, etc.)
Marble Falls wouldn't be too bad a commute from Marble Falls to Burnet.
Nearby Bertram: Nah, wouldn't consider it at all myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessy01010 View Post
I've posted here before... i've been looking for a job in austin, tx... this burnet, tx seems to be nice (and there is a job there)... but what do i need to know about "HILL COUNTRY" ??
any comments, suggestions???? any info would be greatly appreciated....!!!

thanks,

*jessy*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas