Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 06:27 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
A Rodeo? I am not sure the pubic fluffing of livestock, no matter how lucrative rises to the level of a cultural event - a sporting event perhaps. And I always thought Fort Worth was Cowtown, not international, cosmopolitan, sophisticated Houston. Yeehaw!
Nothing wrong with that, I get the impression that is the one time of year Houstonians play dress-up and the Texan alter ego comes out, it's fun. Plus there's the historic aspect shutting down some roads for the trail riders(?) A place can be sophisticated and what not yet still acknowledge or celebrate a bygone time or unusual activity. NY Times I think and others even have some positive articles on it.

Obviously a much different kind of event than SXSW, but it's also worth noting SXSW imports much of the talent, it's not all Austin-produced talent, Austin is the host.... remember the thread on SA wanting to take it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 06:39 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,965,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I dont know. The White Stripes totally suck and Jack White isnt that much better on their own. I dont blame her for not knowing that.

I just cant get into the simplistic primative alternative.
They suck so bad that their last 3 albums in a row won Grammy's. Terrible group.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:48 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,308,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Coupla things: Its Jenna not Jenne. She was busted at the Chuy's on Barton Springs Road, not on 6th Street. SXSW is BY FAR the most important annual cultural event in Texas and the only one with national and increasingly global reach, followed by ACL. Nothing in Houston or Dallas comes REMOTELY close. Dallas is a good place for buying culture but besides Erykah Badu, a rather poor place for making it. Houston is a little better, but not a whole lot.

I agree that 6th Street is not in the same league as Bourbon Street NOLA, one of the truly famous nightlife streets in the U.S., but in a hundred years if alt/country rock attains the same status as blues or jazz it will be. I don't particularly like 6th Street, but along with the Riverwalk in San Antonio, it is the only nightlife area in the state of Texas with national recognition. McKinney in Dallas, Washington Ave in Houston are very weak, pale and failed imitations. 6th Street in Austin is the most famous street in the state, and if your professional musician siblings have never heard of it, I would advise them to keep their day jobs.
Maybe you should come to the Rodeo because I don't even know what SXSW is, never heard of it until I got on the Texas boards on CD. It's not that popular, Houston Rodeo is definitely a larger cultural event. SXSW is not Woodstock and the Houston Rodeo is the largest in the world that caters to many people, not just people into one kind of music. Comparing Austin to Houston/Dallas is not fair.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:36 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
You are trying to put Austin on the same level with Houston and Dallas...Austin does not come close. Austin is a college town. UT helps out with the economy in Austin and really puts the city on the map IMO. Most of the events are more geared for college students anyway. Without UT Austin would only be know as a place for politics.
Austin can have UT. As far as enrollment, A&M is the larger school as of last year.

UH is not that far behind in undergrads anyways (about 11,000 students), plus Houston has one of the most prestigious colleges in the nation, Rice University. Austin can't hang with that. Houston also has an all Black college, TSU. Sam Houston is right up the road too.

Not to mention UT, Baylor, A&M, etc. all in the largest medical complex in the world, the Texas Medical Center.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:20 AM

469 posts, read 886,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Maybe you should come to the Rodeo because I don't even know what SXSW is, never heard of it until I got on the Texas boards on CD. It's not that popular, Houston Rodeo is definitely a larger cultural event. SXSW is not Woodstock and the Houston Rodeo is the largest in the world that caters to many people, not just people into one kind of music. Comparing Austin to Houston/Dallas is not fair.
SXSW is huge world wide for music and movie fans. Like the largest fests in the world...

Old 03-06-2012, 10:49 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkispoison View Post
SXSW is huge world wide for music and movie fans. Like the largest fests in the world...
Not even

Burning Man - 50,000+

SXSW - 15,000-20,000

Old 03-06-2012, 11:35 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,773,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
You are trying to put Austin on the same level with Houston and Dallas...Austin does not come close. Austin is a college town. UT helps out with the economy in Austin and really puts the city on the map IMO. Most of the events are more geared for college students anyway. Without UT Austin would only be know as a place for politics.
No, it was a comparison of major cultural events and nightlife areas...yet here you decide to go off on some strange rant about UT and the economy...

Anyway, here are some 2011 cultural event attendance numbers for those of you that are uninformed:

Burning Man: 50,000
ACL Fest: 70,000
Lollapalooza: 270,000
SA Rodeo: 1.5 mil
Houston Rodeo: 2.3 mil
Texas State Fair: 2.6 mil

SXSW:
200,000 (2011) 250,000 (projected 2012)

I would consider all of the above cultural events, but definitely of a very different nature, and attracting very different demographics. Within the music/film/multimedia industry, SXSW is the most important cultural event. Overall if we are basing importance on attendance than the Texas State Fair is the most important cultural event in Texas.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Not even

Burning Man - 50,000+

SXSW - 15,000-20,000
Link??? Cuz you might be just thinking of a small part of the fest

Check this out:
SXSW By The Numbers: Complete Statistics Overview… | Bit Rebels

Old 03-06-2012, 11:57 AM

1,257 posts, read 2,535,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
No, it was a comparison of major cultural events and nightlife areas...yet here you decide to go off on some strange rant about UT and the economy...

Anyway, here are some 2011 cultural event attendance numbers for those of you that are uninformed:

Burning Man: 50,000
ACL Fest: 70,000
Lollapalooza: 270,000
SA Rodeo: 1.5 mil
Houston Rodeo: 2.3 mil
Texas State Fair: 2.6 mil

SXSW:
200,000 (2011) 250,000 (projected 2012)

I would consider all of the above cultural events, but definitely of a very different nature, and attracting very different demographics. Within the music/film/multimedia industry, SXSW is the most important cultural event. Overall if we are basing importance on attendance than the Texas State Fair is the most important cultural event in Texas.

I don't care how many people go to SXSW, it's unique and really well done. It's also growing in relevance and importance every year. I'm sorry, but you can go to a Rodeo anywhere in Texas. A music/film festival that attracts local and national celebrities and artists is a little more unique in this state.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
I don't care how many people go to SXSW, it's unique and really well done. It's also growing in relevance and importance every year. I'm sorry, but you can go to a Rodeo anywhere in Texas. A music/film festival that attracts local and national celebrities and artists is a little more unique in this state.
Amen, does Kanye do secret shows at the Houston Rodeo? Can you catch Beastie Boys with Wu Tang Clan in a basement at the rodeo? But I've caught all three at SXSW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas