Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 04:25 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Obviously you found out that some counties have a property tax on vehicles. I thought that had gone away. Travis county does not have such a tax and I don't think the counties in most metros do either.

It is a bummer in any case.
I'm fairly sure this tax is only in the less populated, and much poorer, counties of west Texas but unfortunately I don't know. Even the tax office seemed reluctant to talk about it and I have never found a reference to the tax online or in Texas' tax laws. It appears to be one of those taxes that Austin allows some counties to collect but likes to keep it a secret.

It is indeed a bummer but I have in recent years sold most of my property in Bailey County. With the City's overall 3.5% real estate tax, Muleshoe is like a coyote caught in a leghold trap chewing it's leg off trying to stay alive. Or maybe it's just bad management. Who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 09:47 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Back to the general question - if you are a single income family looking for a good school district, you will be hit hard by property tax. If you are a dual income family, especially in a modest house or an average school district, you will come out ahead on taxes compared to income tax.

Also, generally speaking, areas with lower property values will have to charge a higher rate to fund their school system. Westlake (near Austin) has one of the lowest tax rates around - because it still adds up to a ton of cash when you look at the average value of the home in the area.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:28 PM

751 posts, read 1,482,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
It is indeed a bummer but I have in recent years sold most of my property in Bailey County. With the City's overall 3.5% real estate tax, Muleshoe is like a coyote caught in a leghold trap chewing it's leg off trying to stay alive. Or maybe it's just bad management. Who knows.
Like you, I have sold most of my property in Bailey County, but still own a tiny bit. Enough to get a (IMO) high tax bill every year that irritates me. Like you, I chose to drive a vehicle over 10 years old so I would not have to pay the taxes on it. The wife on the other hand, needed a road worthy vehicle for frequent trips out of town, so we owned 1 newer SUV that we paid (again IMO) exorbitant yearly taxes on, in addition to the normal registration fees.

Sad thing is, there are a number of folks who register their vehicles in other counties, or even in New Mexico, in an effort to avoid the taxes. Clearly against "the rules", but an incredibly common occurrence.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician View Post
Like you, I have sold most of my property in Bailey County, but still own a tiny bit.
Agreed. I had not wanted to sidetrack the OP's topic but just wanted to let people know there are a hand full of Texas counties that still access property taxes on POVs.

Another sad fact is that many of the new trucks parked in the wealthier residential areas of Muleshoe (Richland Hills, etc.) are registered as Texas farm trucks. I guess as long as there are loopholes, there will be those who find them.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 02-23-2012, 02:17 PM

751 posts, read 1,482,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Agreed. I had not wanted to sidetrack the OP's topic but just wanted to let people know there are a hand full of Texas counties that still access property taxes on POVs.

Another sad fact is that many of the new trucks parked in the wealthier residential areas of Muleshoe (Richland Hills, etc.) are registered as Texas farm trucks. I guess as long as there are loopholes, there will be those who find them.

Thanks for the reply.
You betcha! A last note before the OP can have the thread back... In Richland Hills, seems many of the vehicles are either farm truck plates or New Mexico plates. The rest of us had the play the game though.

I bet you and I know might each other in real life, ya think?

Old 02-23-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician View Post
You betcha! A last note before the OP can have the thread back... In Richland Hills, seems many of the vehicles are either farm truck plates or New Mexico plates. The rest of us had the play the game though.

I bet you and I know might each other in real life, ya think?
Could be. I had noted your posts before but had not pursued it. My wife's family was from Muleshoe since the 1950s.

Back the topic at hand though, I recall my FIL complaining about Bailey County property taxes in the 1960s. I always laughed at him. Then we inherited his property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas