Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city will make the most dramatic Change in its core?
Dallas 57 24.36%
Houston 103 44.02%
Austin 48 20.51%
San Antonio 26 11.11%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 04:04 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
But weather Houston passes Chicago, it won't make much of a difference. Population is just a number. I have been to Chicago several times and each time it was awesome. The people there where great as well. I just wish Houston would had learn from it's mistakes early a densify it's core. But better late than never I suppose.
Chicago is of course a much better tourist place to visit than any Texas city, but I'd rather live in any of the 4 Texas metro areas by far, and that's coming from someone who lived in Chicago for half a decade.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:34 PM

657 posts, read 740,232 times
I might live in Chicago if it wasnt for their winters.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:50 PM

17 posts, read 17,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
Chicago's skyline blows Houston's out of the water. The two aren't even in the same discussion.

Now back to the Houston vs Dallas cow chip tossing contest.
Chicago's skyline is beautiful, but is limited, as all its towers are in its CBD. Whereas Houston has several skylines, each distinct. On skylines it's a draw: Chicago for centralized tower density vs Houston with towers spread throughout vast expanse.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:53 PM

420 posts, read 705,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTXCITY View Post
Chicago's skyline is beautiful, but is limited, as all its towers are in its CBD. Whereas Houston has several skylines, each distinct. On skylines it's a draw: Chicago for centralized tower density vs Houston with towers spread throughout vast expanse.

LOL @ limited. Chicago's skyline dwarfs Houston's. Houston look clunky, random, and unorganized compared to Chicago with buildings all over the place and with much less density.

Old 09-15-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKAddict View Post
Dallas and Fort Worth aren't separate metro areas, sorry to break it to you.
But you're sadly mistaken. Dallas and Ft Worth congressional leaders worked for years to have the feds combine the two metros (Ft Worth-Arlington and Dallas-Plano-Irving), to better compete as the 12 county DFW metroplex. They were recently successful in the reconfiguration of the 2 into 1. Hence, DFW.

"The Dallas–Fort Worth–Arlington, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area, the official title designated by the United States Office of Management and Budget, encompasses 12 counties within the U.S. state of Texas. The area is divided into two distinct metropolitan divisions: Dallas–Plano–Irving and Fort Worth–Arlington. Residents of the area informally refer to it as the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, DFW, or The Metroplex."

Last edited by HTXCITY; 09-15-2015 at 08:34 PM..

Old 09-15-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayStokes View Post
LOL @ limited. Chicago's skyline dwarfs Houston's. Houston look clunky, random, and unorganized compared to Chicago with buildings all over the place and with much less density.
LOL That's what I said...Chicago's skyline is beautiful, but it only has 1 skyline in its CBD, albeit fantastic. Houston's skyline is striking...but in Houston you have to ask, which one: Downtown...Uptown...Greenway...TMC, etc...as Houston has several business districts (not just one) featuring skyscrapers throughout the city. Both very cosmpolitan cities, done different.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:11 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times
Quote:
LOL That's what I said...Chicago's skyline is beautiful, but it only has 1 skyline in its CBD, albeit fantastic. Houston's skyline is striking...but in Houston you have to ask, which one: Downtown...Uptown...Greenway...TMC, etc...as Houston has several business districts (not just one) featuring skyscrapers throughout the city. Both very cosmpolitan cities, done different.

Posters on this forum will not grasp the concept.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:49 PM

298 posts, read 416,728 times
Quote:
But you're sadly mistaken. Dallas and Ft Worth congressional leaders worked for years to have the feds combine the two metros (Ft Worth-Arlington and Dallas-Plano-Irving), to better compete as the 12 county DFW metroplex. They were recently successful in the reconfiguration of the 2 into 1. Hence, DFW.

"The Dallas–Fort Worth–Arlington, TX Metropolitan Statistical Area, the official title designated by the United States Office of Management and Budget, encompasses 12 counties within the U.S. state of Texas. The area is divided into two distinct metropolitan divisions: Dallas–Plano–Irving and Fort Worth–Arlington. Residents of the area informally refer to it as the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, DFW, or The Metroplex."
I'm sorry, where did you hear that at? And your quote proves my point. They the same metropolitan area, but there are two divisions. Trust me, dallas and Fort Worth and molded into a contiguous area. They're counties are bordered by each other.

If the two are two different metropolitan areas, where do you draw the line? The walmart I shop at is in both Dallas and Tarrant county, so is that Walmart is in two different metro areas??

Old 09-16-2015, 05:39 AM

7 posts, read 6,161 times
Quote:
If the two are two different metropolitan areas, where do you draw the line? The walmart I shop at is in both Dallas and Tarrant county, so is that Walmart is in two different metro areas??
I'm pretty sure that's not possible.

Old 09-16-2015, 11:04 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,790,281 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, where did you hear that at? And your quote proves my point. They the same metropolitan area, but there are two divisions. Trust me, dallas and Fort Worth and molded into a contiguous area. They're counties are bordered by each other.

Grand Prairie and DFW International Airport lay in both Dallas and Tarrant counties as well. The City of Fort Worth borders Dallas County. And like you said there are many businesses, houses, offices, apartments, streets, you name it in both counties. Some people that have never been to DFW can't grasp that so they assume that it's some kind of government scheme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas