Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:58 PM

28 posts, read 95,256 times

Advertisements

We are considering to move to TX. Need some advice. Can anybody tell me, considering job opportunities, house, and weather, which city is more suitable for us?

1. Job Opportunities. I want to know which city has more job opportunities in Computer Software/programing area?
2. House. Which city has more cheap/confortable houses?
3. Weather. Looks like Dallas and Austin are close. Is Houston better, like, not that dry and hot?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 11:07 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,192,079 times
Dallas and Austin aren't all that dry, both having lots of humidity which is a trial in summer, although compared to Houston they are arid.

Old 02-14-2012, 01:35 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,450,730 times
Houston You will be thankful for the humidity that will keep your skin youthful.

Plus it is a very interesting city if your a fun playful soul

Old 02-14-2012, 06:31 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,055,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvoben View Post
We are considering to move to TX. Need some advice. Can anybody tell me, considering job opportunities, house, and weather, which city is more suitable for us?

1. Job Opportunities. I want to know which city has more job opportunities in Computer Software/programing area?
2. House. Which city has more cheap/confortable houses?
3. Weather. Looks like Dallas and Austin are close. Is Houston better, like, not that dry and hot?

Thanks.
For software programming jobs - Austin or Houston. Industries may differ.

Housing costs - similar in all three places overall, but will vary greatly by neighborhood or area of town.

Weather - again, similar, though Houston is the more humid of the three, and Dallas has the more harsh winters.

Where are you coming from?

Old 02-14-2012, 07:24 AM

663 posts, read 1,725,203 times
I'm a software developer who moved to the DFW area last year. When I was looking for work, Dallas had FAR more open positions listed than Austin. And a lot of the Austin listings were Dell positions in Round Rock, which is a nice area from what we saw but further away from downtown than we wanted to be. I really can't compare to Houston since it wasn't on our radar. I had no ill will towards Houston. We just didn't get the feeling it was the place for us when we went there.

As far as housing costs, I didn't notice a huge difference but I didn't get any serious enough offers from Austin to do thorough research.

As far as humidity, that's in the eye of the beholder. Where are you from? It's my experience that people from further out west consider Dallas a humid area. I lived in Georgia before this so Dallas is very dry compared to what I'm used to. I personally prefer the dry heat.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:42 AM

28 posts, read 95,256 times
I am from NY. The thing I am quite concerned with is, the job opportunities for Software/programming, since both of us are programmers.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:31 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,450,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvoben View Post
I am from NY. The thing I am quite concerned with is, the job opportunities for Software/programming, since both of us are programmers.

I would check out Houston. I have lived in both Dallas and Austin and I can honestly tell you that Houston has more diversity and plenty of job opportunities in that area. I would seriously check out Houston. I would not recommend working for Dell...they chew you up and spit you out. Both my brother and my partner worked for Dell and both are very top notch in what they do. My brother is an astrophysicists and EE. My partner is a ME but works as a Manager to Project Development Managers. They both hated working at Dell. Austin may be prettier than Houston or Dallas but it is a boring small unsophisticated college town. Houston has a lot to offer and I would put Dallas second behind Houston for several reasons.

Good Luck!

Old 02-15-2012, 04:18 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I would check out Houston. I have lived in both Dallas and Austin and I can honestly tell you that Houston has more diversity and plenty of job opportunities in that area.

Good Luck!
Technology jobs tend to be more plentiful in Dallas than Houston.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:11 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,737,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Austin may be prettier than Houston or Dallas but it is a boring small unsophisticated college town.

Good Luck!
Unnecessary information that is patently untrue. [A writing point] You don't need to make your point by slamming others. You only wind up raises doubts about your own assertions!

(You can thank me later!)

Carry on!

Old 02-15-2012, 12:35 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,055,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnFiya View Post
Unnecessary information that is patently untrue. [A writing point] You don't need to make your point by slamming others. You only wind up raises doubts about your own assertions!
There is some truth, though exaggerated.
Probably just backlash to Austintude.... usually is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas