Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2012, 10:32 AM

3 posts, read 46,923 times

Advertisements

I'm really in need of a job. I've applied to almost every major oil field in texas and could really use some pointers on how to get hired. I was in the army but because of some stupid decisions I was put out. I was allowed to finish out my term but didn't receive an honorable discharge. It wasn't a dishonorable either. Vould any one please point me in the right direction.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 01:51 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Yeah. But first, like they say -- Thank you for your service.

The big operators have choices. Lots of choices on who to hire or not. They are risk adverse. If they hire you and something goes wrong -- someone in HR will get fried. Again, they are risk adverse. So of course they will not hire you.

But let's start where you are. Things suck. It is what it is, but you are used to it and life goes on and what you make of the rest of it is now in large part up to you.

I would be looking at doing two things. Maybe both at the same time.

1. Go for the absolute shiit job, whatever, wherever, and be the best ever at it. If you are thinking oil field -- I am thinking go see the contractor that does the portable toilets at the field/office site. You follow what I am saying? Out mexican the mexicans. And do it laughing and smiling all the way. Some folks will see that and figure you have something going right -- or that you must be crazy. Don't worry -- you will be the second -- something going right.

2. Pick some small business trade that records do not matter. Dunno that list, we can ponder together. Mechanic, or your own portable toilet business , whatever. Be doing that on the weekends, evenings, whenever on the side. Eventually it will overtake the shiit job.

We both know the record is going to follow you for sometime. Out run it, exceed it, be more than it.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:07 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Willing to consider N. Dakota as well? I agree go to the remote oil field locations and take any job to get in the door. Places to live can be tough to find so be flexible... mobil homes or man camp quarters which if you can handle give you a leg up in these locations which are booming. Thanks for your service and being open about the young stupid decisions. Good luck!

Old 05-16-2012, 04:44 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
The job market here in West Texas is starting push saturation levels. So basically oil companies have more employee options nd can be some what selective. Now with that said, I don't think securing a job is out of the question but I really think your odds of doing so would greatly improve if you was here live and in person knocking on doors.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:46 PM

98 posts, read 341,435 times
Get your CDL A and Tanker/hazmat if you can I think you'll still find a spot in the patch but it will take some work on your part... i second that you look in remote location oil patches. check indeed you'll see what jobs are up 30+ days in small,Texas is full of them and hit those up. good luck alot of Guys in the oil patch with felonys...Alot dont know about in Texas but here in Cali theres more than a few and ND doesnt seem to mind them.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:42 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
You can also look at manufacturing. Again, the dirtier, the more likely they will hire a felon. Look at the corrugated industry. Back in the day, I was HR at a corrugated plant, and we didn't even background check! We had many parolees working in our plant, and I never knew until their parole officer came by to check up on them!

Old 05-16-2012, 07:58 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
You can also look at manufacturing. Again, the dirtier, the more likely they will hire a felon. Look at the corrugated industry. Back in the day, I was HR at a corrugated plant, and we didn't even background check! We had many parolees working in our plant, and I never knew until their parole officer came by to check up on them!
Good point, when I referred to oils, I mean the smaller service companies. The E&P companies and larger service companies will do background checks. So try the remote areas where demand exceeds supply and smaller service companies where supply is shorter and hiring less rigorous than larger companies and especially E&P companies who get crucified for things other companies do but dont engender the same reaction

Old 05-16-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Good point, when I referred to oils, I mean the smaller service companies. The E&P companies and larger service companies will do background checks. So try the remote areas where demand exceeds supply and smaller service companies where supply is shorter and hiring less rigorous than larger companies and especially E&P companies who get crucified for things other companies do but dont engender the same reaction
We had people workin for us with questionable backgrounds and we haul fuel. You have to o n FBI/Finger print check. They usually look for things like arson, murder, bombers etc.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:35 PM

714 posts, read 2,931,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
We had people workin for us with questionable backgrounds and we haul fuel. You have to o n FBI/Finger print check. They usually look for things like arson, murder, bombers etc.
They also do drug screening.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboybootnut View Post
They also do drug screening.
Ya, that's a given....CDL drivers have to do a physical as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas