Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 11:33 AM

681 posts, read 1,671,391 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I was wondering which pick-up truck brand is most popular with Texans?

I spoke with one San Antonio native and was told that the Ford F150 and the Toyota Tundra pickups are most popular, and that driving a Dodge Ram pick-up would get me labeled as a criminal or day laborer lol... I for one prefer the Dodge Ram due to its looks etc.

What do you guys say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 12:27 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,090,187 times
Depends on what you plan on using it for. Regardless of what any brand loyalist might say, the Ford and Chevy truck offerings are pretty damn similar, just differences in styling really.

Dodge used to make GREAT trucks and SUV's... But ever since they became Chrysler LLC, quality has suffered a bit. Expect more problems with a Ram vs other American brands, and with less towing capacity. Toyota has legendary reliability, and the fit and finish of their vehicles is typically better than its American counterparts.

However, a Tundra will set you back more as well, and maintenance won't be as cheap. Plus, I don't know any guys who actually have a Tundra that use it for what it's supposed to be designed for... hauling heavy loads and towing. They don't want it to get scratched or damaged. To me, that's basically what a truck is for, for doing hard work, getting the bed and tailgate all scratched up, etc.

I think based on actual sales numbers, the F150 is the best selling truck in TX.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:50 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,091,523 times
Dodge truck as day laborer...LOL! Now I've heard 'em all. Too funny. But how about we put up some actual numbers?

May 2012 Top 15 Pickup Truck Sales - PickupTrucks.com News

1. F-series...(and most American built w/ more than 80% parts source w/in N. America)

2. Chevy Silverado

3. Ram trucks

And Toyota trucks are up more than 30% Y-T-Y for 2012.

September 2012 Top 5 Best-Selling Trucks In America - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

Old 10-08-2012, 01:34 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,904 times
I buy American. That being said, I guess I should amend it to as much American as it can be. So I can't comment on the foreign imports. I can't comment on the Dodge either since I've never owned one. Many years ago when I bought my first car I knew Chevrolet and Ford had the best resale value and Dodge had a bad resale value. Maybe that had something to do with it, but I just never had anything to do with Dodge.

I always was a Chevy person, but came across a real good deal on a Ford 150 Lariat some years ago and I've not looked backed since then. Now my truck and my car are both Fords.

IMO the Chevrolet is more about appearance and comfort, not endurance and reliability. When I drove my Chevy trucks I always thought it was just a normal thing to go down the road listening to one rattle or another. I always had the Silverados and they were comfortable to sit in and looked great, but they just always started rattling in no time. I've put the Ford trucks through way more hardships than the Chevys ever had to face and still have yet to hear that old familiar rattling which actually use to drive me crazy.

So I say, pretty is as pretty does. Ford all the way!

Old 10-08-2012, 01:44 PM

107 posts, read 167,895 times
I've seen Dodge being the most popular truck in Texas, it seems as though EVERYONE has one. :-D

Old 10-08-2012, 01:52 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,264,594 times
F150 (Raptor) owner.

The F Series truck is probably the most popular truck in Texas as well as the US. Now you get out away from the city like back home in West Texas, people like using the F Series and Dodge Commins for oilfield work. Chevys and the Tundra are used a lot for smaller light weight jobs.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:09 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,403,116 times
Titan... only in America is Toyota considered ahead of Nissan... talk to someone from Japan... Nissan is upscale, Toyota makes the taxi's and is for middle market. Nissan has more performance and capacity to have its performance boosted safely and is reliable... at least Infiniti's have been for me

Old 10-08-2012, 02:35 PM

663 posts, read 1,724,317 times
The most popular nationally has already been posted above. I doubt Texas' numbers are proportionally very different. If you talked to a RAM owner, you probably would've heard the same thing about some other truck. A Nissan owner might even claim a Titan is better than a Tundra Test drive them all and pick the one you like best. If this is a work truck, you'd also need to look at things like payload and maybe towing to see if it fits your needs. If you usually only hold onto a vehicle for a few years, you'll also want to look at the resale. There, the F150 and Tundra hold a bit of an edge according to KBB. But if you really like the Dodge, get the Dodge.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:16 PM

35 posts, read 102,521 times
Check carefully folks...buying American is more complicated than it sounds.

The Toyota Tundra might have been manufactured in US but the Ford F-150 might have been manufactured in Mexico. And this might change by Model year. So make sure you ask the right questions before you buy American.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:03 PM

681 posts, read 1,671,391 times
thanks for your responses!

If I get a pick up truck, it'll be for towing a car and trailer around, or moving stuff around in the bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas