Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 03:06 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times

Advertisements

I do not want to bash TX or anything, I just want a straight answer on why the Texas people are so proud from being from TX. I would appreciate if you guys do not get offended by this question, and I also would appreciate if someone can answer my question. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 05:21 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
This is a funny post. Why don't 'you guys' give us a reason we shouldn't be proud to be from Texas?

Old 07-23-2009, 06:54 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
What always puzzles me is why people from other states aren't just as proud of their states. I don't get it.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:06 AM

1,560 posts, read 1,263,843 times
Because we are.

I could go into a long shpiel about it, but I do not really need to; we just are.

In contrast, as TexasHorseLady pointed out, we do not quite understand why, to some people, it is so hip to dislike where you live.

Plus, I've met plenty of New Yorkers who are fiercely proud of being from the Apple, so I suppose it's just a matter of disposition.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:45 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,095 times
I think it has a lot to do with the fact that, for some reason or another, be it culture, history, media exposure, but Texas is very representative of a vital aspect of American culture. You have, essentially, four basic American culture types. Yankee, Southerner, Californian, and Texan. There are others, to be sure, but that's my experience in my travels those are the general types of American culture recognized around the world.

And let me tell you, the treatment you get as a "Texan" is vastly different than the treatment you get as an "American". Vastly. Night and day. It's pretty much gotten to point that, whenever I travel and people ask, "Are you American?" I say, "No, Texan" because I'm almost certain to be treated better.

Why this is, not sure. I think that people like the culture of brazen, in-your-face freedom. They are fascinated by our gun culture and the Texas political and military history. The idea that a whole culture can proudly embrace, "bigger, better, faster" is very enticing when governments around the world are constantly stifling, diminishing, and degrading every detail of people's personal lives (not that the Texas government doesn't do the same, but perceptions are hard to break).

Old 07-23-2009, 08:30 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
The idea that a whole culture can proudly embrace, "bigger, better, faster" is very enticing when governments around the world are constantly stifling, diminishing, and degrading every detail of people's personal lives (not that the Texas government doesn't do the same, but perceptions are hard to break).
Yeah, but we still know it's WRONG for the government to do so, and will say so right out loud.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:52 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I do not want to bash TX or anything, I just want a straight answer on why the Texas people are so proud from being from TX. I would appreciate if you guys do not get offended by this question, and I also would appreciate if someone can answer my question. Thanks
I truly don't mean to be flippant nor condecending -- if this OT is indeed on the level -- but IMHO, anyone who has to ask this question would probably never be able to understand the answer. Even if there was an easy one to give.

As LtT said, we just ARE! LOL Of course, there is much more to it than that...but one has to be "to the manor born" I suppose, to comprehend it.

Texas was a rough frontier when opened to settlement and it took men and women with a pioneer spirit and toughness to do it. Among the American states, it has a very unique history...

Yes, there were other states which were "nations" at one time, but only Texas fought for and won its own independence. Maybe those volunteers at the Alamo were just a bunch of old boys who liked to fight...but dammed if they didn't give worse than they got and go down fighting. Establishing a valor legacy for all time. And a standard.

Then, dealing as equals with the U.S. government, negotiated its own way into statehood.

Later, we became an original member of the Confederacy and, right or wrong as to cause (which my screen name ought to be a tip-off as to where I stand! LOL), it was the Texans who most distinguished themselves on the battlefields. "No soldiers have brought greater honor to their state as have my Texans"...said Gen. Robert E. Lee. Or, "Texans! The troops of the other states have their reputations to make, but the sons of the defenders of the Alamo have only to maintain theirs" -- Jefferson Davis, CSA president.

Although yes, certain lucky circumstances lead to that Texas emerged relatively better off than our southeastern cousins, but it still took a new hardy pioneer stock to take advantage of all this potential wealth. Overwhelmingly settlers from the devastated eastern states looking to get a new start (a fact which gives Texas its essential Southern character and affiliation today) came in, drove the cattle, planted cotton, and then, later, discovered oil.

And of course, it goes from there. Bottom line is, it was tough bunch who settled and made Texas. If you were a son/daughter of all that, wouldn't you be proud as well...?

God Bless Texas!

Last edited by TexasReb; 07-23-2009 at 10:07 AM..

Old 07-23-2009, 09:02 AM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Beats me, I'm a native Texan, and I don't see it as anything too brag about. I want out of Texas

Old 07-23-2009, 09:03 AM

Just to add...

I agree totally with what other fellow Texans have said, in essence, why do so many non-Texans seem to be so obscessed with what we think of our own state? And why do so many of the same seem almost resentful about it? Jealousy...? And I honestly don't mean that sarcastically...

Texans -- at least in my observations -- do not go into other state forums and bash them. As THL said, we sometimes wonder why they are not equally proud of their own states. This is one I have always wondered about, myself.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Beats me, I'm a native Texan, and I don't see it as anything too brag about. I want out of Texas
There's always I-20 East. Or Southwest Airlines! And Delta too, is ready when you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas