Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 05:54 AM

4 posts, read 78,384 times

Advertisements

My husband was laid off from Nabors Drilling this past week and I'm a little panicked due to this being our only income for a family of five (including a newborn) and the lay off itself was so unexpected & sudden. We live in north east texas (about an hour from Tyler & Dallas). I've been submitting online apps & he has gone in person to oil companies around Tyler. We aren't getting any good news. Everyone is stacking out around here & I'm afraid the online apps don't do much good & get ignored.
I've heard lots about the Midland/Odessa & South Texas - eagle ford oil booms. He doesn't mind traveling for work...previously he worked on rigs in TX, OK, & LA. But how would he go about applying for these jobs being so far away? Can someone help me out & give me the names of some of these companies that are hiring? I know he would have much better luck w/ a CDL but he doesn't have one, and can't really at this time. He's really only interested in the rig based work...this is where his heart is. He has worked as a floorhand for Nabors for the past year and has experience working motors & derricks as well.
He is 29, very healthy, extremely hard worker, focused, positive, and has a yr of rig experience under his belt. Surely with these qualities he can get another job in the oil field industry that he loves, but naturally I'm worried. He applied for unemployment but really wants to find another job before having to depend on that. He would rather work in TX or a surrounding state, but if it comes down to it, he would work in ND, PA, etc, if he had to until he could find something else.
Any specific info you have to lead us in the right direction would be so appreciated.....company names, numbers, websites, advice, encouragement...anything! Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 02:38 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,012,607 times
try http://www.sosemploymentgroup.com/ it is the one for south Texas . try that one

Old 03-02-2013, 03:17 PM

Thank you! I sure will!

Old 03-04-2013, 09:14 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,197 times
For rigs? West Texas and the Panhandle is where the action is in the state. Ohio and Pennsylvania is also heating up.

One of my brothers just got a long term gig near New Orleans on a huge oil and natural gas holding facility. He got out of roughnecking and into welding. He worked his union card for several years and now just made supervisor. Something to consider.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:41 AM

Interesting. He can also weld, but really loves the roughnecking for some reason. I will try to look for some companies in west tx & the panhandle. Thank you for the info!

Old 04-05-2013, 09:34 PM

2 posts, read 51,088 times
Dear lyndseyjill82,
I am so sorry to hear about hour hubby's lay-off! My hubby is from east Texas, I am in Dallas with our boys, and my husband is out in west Texas as he was offered a great job there and has already started. We are about to sell our house and move out there. I don't know the name of specific companies, because there are SO MANY in that area, but I know when we went for his interview, we drove past a TON of companies hiring for various jobs. I know just applying on job sites can be a lengthy process, with seemingly no results, but I would say, 1.) If he could drive to Odessa with a stack of resumes and spend a few days, there are a lot of companies along the main access road off of Hwy 20 in the "Industrial Park" area. Honestly, my husband interviewed and took a drug test one day/filled out a background check, was offered a job 3-4 days later, and started 1 week after his interview. On another note, I believe housing will be harder to find than a job. A big oil boom has caused 1.) housing prices to go up and 2.) a shortage of housing, as you've probably seen on this forum. Some are living in RV's, trailers, hotels, etc. Obviously, with a larger family this could be an issue, just wanted you to know. 2.) Has your hubby applied on these sites? www.indeed.com www.oilcareers.com/northamerica www.oilandgasjobsearch.com www.rigzone.com www.oilcareers.com 3.) I know there's a big boom in North Dakota, but we didn't want to go that far or be that cold. :-) There seems to be an increase in WV/PA as well, from what we've heard, but politics play more of a role there in how much drilling goes on. I'm from PA and we spent 2 years in WV while he worked in WV/PA, but I really think if he can go meet with some companies and hand out resumes, there are some great opportunities... 4.) If I can find or my hubby can tell me some specific names of companies there, I will let you know. What was your hubby's most recent title/position? Hang in there! Blessings! Sharon

Old 04-05-2013, 10:07 PM

2 posts, read 51,088 times
OK, a quick search jogged my memory and my hubby has mentioned several of these. Here are a few companies in the Midland/Odessa area IF you're interested: Key Energy Services (currently hiring a derrickhand), Weatherford, Chesapeake Energy, Schlumberger, J-W Energy Co., National Oilwell Varco, Baker Hughes, & Pioneer Natural Resources. Some will require a CDL but of course it depends on the position. Hope this helps!

Old 04-06-2013, 08:12 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,025,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon McKinney View Post
OK, a quick search jogged my memory and my hubby has mentioned several of these. Here are a few companies in the Midland/Odessa area IF you're interested: Key Energy Services (currently hiring a derrickhand), Weatherford, Chesapeake Energy, Schlumberger, J-W Energy Co., National Oilwell Varco, Baker Hughes, & Pioneer Natural Resources. Some will require a CDL but of course it depends on the position. Hope this helps!
Also look at Basic Energy, Devon Energy, Occidental Petroleum, Gray Wireline, Chevron, ConocoPhillips, Dow Chemical, Nabors, DCP Midstream, GE Oil & Gas, Sandridge, Archer Daniels, Kinder Morgan, Patterson UTI, Halliburton, and Apache.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:26 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
I read this week that the rig count in the Eagle-Ford shale is steady at about 240 rigs. Contact whoever is drilling in that area. That looks like the hot area right now in Texas.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:57 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,863 times
80% of all new wells being drilled a few years ago in the US, took place in Martin County (5-13 miles outside Midland). I'm not sure how much has changed but derricks are part of the skyline in West Texas and they prefer hiring guys with drilling experience like your husband. My best advice is for your husband to take a road trip out west and knock on some doors. Also, some companies will train and help people to get their CDLs, I would STRONGLY suggest going for it if offered. The oilfield is all about trucking and a CDL w/endorsements will open way more doors than anything else. I would also check out Fracking companies...Just seems like less danger and work in Fracking vs drilling buts that's my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas