Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 03:52 PM

925 posts, read 1,228,076 times

Advertisements

No, it's not a dry heat, the only place in Texas you can get dry heat is west Texas, however, outside of El Paso and other small towns, it pretty baron. The humidity in SA isn't as bad as Puerto Rico, believe me. Honestly, the humidity never bothered me, probably because I lived in Houston for a short time and then south Florida before moving here and let me tell you, if you can tolerate those two places SA is a cake walk. lol However, fall, winter and spring weather in SA is almost perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 09:39 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,246,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi1 View Post
To me San Antonio is looking better all the time, looked at some real estate prices there and they looked pretty cheap, also got a good response from University of Texas, San Antonio about transfering my credits so I guess I better be sending husband there to look for jobs. I know that it is hot in Texas but I think it is more dry heat right? I don't mind heat but humidity can get me. I have spent quite alot of time in Puerto Rico visiting my inlaws and the humidity used to wring me out.
Welcome to Texas

I know a person who's lived in Australia's Outback who can't handle the Texas heat because of our humidity -- be warned.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:12 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
To me San Antonio is looking better all the time, looked at some real estate prices there and they looked pretty cheap, also got a good response from University of Texas, San Antonio about transfering my credits so I guess I better be sending husband there to look for jobs. I know that it is hot in Texas but I think it is more dry heat right? I don't mind heat but humidity can get me. I have spent quite alot of time in Puerto Rico visiting my inlaws and the humidity used to wring me out.
Summer in Texas is . . . Summer in Texas. I tend to shop hard for projects to work on ANYWHERE but Texas in the Summer. If we do wind up staying around here and working here -- it is deep night. As long as if gets below 80 F overnight things are tolerable. But August . . . geeeezzzz.

As much as I tend to trashtalk Texas, I have to say with that downside of Summer pointed out, the Spring and Fall here are wonderful. The nuisance is that tends to be when you will be in school. I did a BS and MS here. My advice on that is schedule classes heavy for Summer, as you will be sitting in Air Conditioned classrooms, lecture halls, and libraries. Winter is pretty tolerable here, too -- not the case for much of the US. We have done New Year's Eve outdoor on the River Walk in San Antonio in shirtsleeves. Pretty pleasant.

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 11-01-2007 at 11:43 AM..

Old 11-02-2007, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
But let's do a big picture check on this . . . .

1. You are leaving New Zealand?

AND

2. Coming to Texas????

omigod are you out of your minds???

Yunno George Bush is not a joke -- even though we treat him as such. He actually sort of does represent a chunk of the locals. And that is not a good thing.

But yeah, Austin and San Antonio are ok, if you must -- but let's make a deal -- you take our place here, and we will take your place in New Zealand.
Ah another voice of ignorance. I live in cold, rainy, rude, xenophobic, expensive, primitive Auckland, where we're slowly sliding to the bottom of the OECD rankings except in child abuse, sexual assault, and binge drinking. I've lived in Austin and spent time in San Antonio. I'd go back given the slightest opportunity.

Sounds like you and George are cut from similar moulds.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:18 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
Well, if you don't like humidity and you want to live in a city with a good university, you might consider Lubbock in West Texas. My son goes to Texas Tech University in Lubbock and we've been pleased with both the university and the city. You'd also be just a few hours' drive from the beautiful state of New Mexico, and near gorgeous canyons, state parks and skiing.

I don't know what size cities you're considering, but I live in Abilene, which is almost centrally located and has three universities. The population is about 115,000 and it's a good-sized city with a surprising amount of arts and cultural offerings, plus every store and restaurant you could possibly need.

Texas has a sizable Hispanic population, so being bilingual will help you in any city you choose. It's up to you how important you regard diversity -- meaning a mix of races/cultures. South Texas is predominantly Hispanic and I struggled with that, being raised as I was in the Northeast with a whole lot of different cultures and friends of all races. I found the attitudes about blacks and whites in deep South Texas to be astounding and hard to handle.

Good luck to you!

Old 11-02-2007, 09:29 PM

Another company in SA:

Bradford Lawton Design Group | Creative Strategy, Image Architecture/Branding, Web Development

Old 11-04-2007, 08:09 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kran View Post
Ah another voice of ignorance. I live in cold, rainy, rude, xenophobic, expensive, primitive Auckland, where we're slowly sliding to the bottom of the OECD rankings except in child abuse, sexual assault, and binge drinking.
WOO HOO!! THAT sounds EXACTLY like what we are looking for. The only place close to having all that in the States is Oregon. And that is the top of our list, here. Thanks!

btw, we could trade, too!

Quote:
I've lived in Austin and spent time in San Antonio. I'd go back given the slightest opportunity.
It is easy to get back.

Step 1. Go to Mexico
Step 2. Swim or wade the Rio Grande.
Step 3. Head North.

And then You are HERE! Stay a day, a week or a lifetime. Millions of Mexicans recommend this handy tour method, and that many folks could not be wrong.

Quote:
Sounds like you and George are cut from similar moulds.
Yep, we is both ignut jerky Yankees living fat off of Texas.

Thanks for noticing.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post

It is easy to get back.

Step 1. Go to Mexico
Step 2. Swim or wade the Rio Grande.
Step 3. Head North.

And then You are HERE! Stay a day, a week or a lifetime. Millions of Mexicans recommend this handy tour method, and that many folks could not be wrong.
Congratulations, you succeeded in not being funny.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,667 times
Quote:
Hi there, I am from from New Zealand and my husband is from Puerto Rico, we are planning to move to the US soon. We have been looking at a number of states including Texas basically because we are both bi-lingual (english/spanish). My question is what is a good place in Texas for a bi-lingual graphic designer (husband) and a place with a good university (I am finishing up my anthropology undergraduate degree). We have been looking into Austin or San Antonio. My husband plans to do a job finding trip next month. We have two young children as well so would like a place with reasonable schools. Any ideas?
Anywhere in the US is bi-lingual not just 'border states'. Since the crackdown by ICE, the illegals are now moving into Canada [programme on TV the other night about how Canada now is not happy!].

If you like heat and humidity, South Texas is the place lol... Today it was in the 70's with 90% humidity! Would you believe I have water lilies blooming! First time in December - global warming??? You can if you plant them in the right place, crop tomatoes up into Jan [picked some today!]. You do get a lot of warm moist air flowing up from the Gulf throughout the year. It's the fronts coming from the north that are cold.

Check out weather on www.weather.com or www.ksat.com which is a SAT tv station and one I use a lot for updated weather [plus they send out warnings etc].

Jobs -try Texas Workforce for starters even now. http://www.twc.state.tx.us/

Be aware that discrimination in job hiring *does* exist in TX by Hispanics towards 'whites' [sorry folks but just going from my own experience plus that of many friends and a recent local suit filed by former college staff]. Familiarise yourself with Federal Employment Laws.

I was discriminated on my being a New Zealander - NOT one word asked about if I was a U.S. citizen, legal perm resident or illegal ailen and this was by an Hispanic interviewer [with two other Hispanic dept managers also involved in the interview!]. And I have had the 'coming over and taking jobs' by white female employees in another job [they didn't realise I was sitting on the other side of a filing cabinet when they were discussing me!]. Most companies I have been employed by have had a Policy & Procedure Manual which addresses 'discrimination' by people being people still do it...

Some application forms will ask 'Are you a U.S. Citizen' [non-Federal Govt jobs] which is also discrimination. I *never* give my SS# on job applications due to rampant ID theft. I will write a note to the effect I will give it upon being the successful applicant.

Have lived here 7 years now just below San Anton and will be gone before next summer. Feel sorry for the kids in summer as it's too hot during the day to do anything outside especially over the hols. Just make sure the place you rent has a pool!

SAT is a nice place, and is growing rapidly. Good university hospitals etc. Also has it's down side as far as low income housing/crime goes but so does every other place. Try sites such as www.rent.com for apartment info/prices. Don't forget you will use a LOT of energy in summer with air conditioning! Our bills for a 2br place usually range over US$300 a month and we don't use all ac units 24/7 though I insist on the bedroom unit going overnight! Winters aren't that cold compared to many other places in the US! But it does get quite chilly once the sun goes down.

Another place to consider is Round Rock just to the east of SAT. North of SAT is Borne which is an area I particularly like.

I take it you do not have US citizenship as yet. Unfortunately the cost of all immigration visas et al has just risen dramatically. I believe based on my own application that they are now running 15 to 18 months behind now. I sent my application in in June and only got a receipt just after Thanksgiving - the TX service centre was running literally months behind due to the huge number of applications. Due to forever changing laws, would recommend you asap, do your citizenship.

Have fun deciding where to live

BTW, I understand about how NZ is not overly friendly to 'immigrants'. s. My former husband, Hispanic, was TAD over a period of many years to Operation Deep Freeze in Christchurch before being posted there. He was initially supposed to be on a 3 yr posting but when offered a return back stateside after 11 months, he took it quick! He was saddened by how he was treated by many kiwis because of his 'accent' which wasn't overly strong considering he had been in the US military and Federal Govt employment for some 20 plus years/definitely not a case of his being ESL.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,642 times
Hi,
Texas is beautiful. San Antonio is rolling hills, but very dry. Temp in August is 100. There could be water problems in the near future. If you are looking for green, you need to go north toward Dallas or east toward Houston. Houston and Galveston have humidity also. There is no state income tax, so, school and property taxes can be high.
There is great social life in SA, but you might look toward San Marcos. It's not far from Austin or SA, has 2 universities, and isn't so large....more laid back. SA has a large military population due to bases and being a major retirement area for air force.
My husband has thought of retiring to "hill country", but as I said, I worry about water in the future. Also, I like green. Hope you have great luck, wherever you move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas