Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 03:27 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,967,780 times

Advertisements

Everytime Texas economy is mentioned it is passed off as mainly oil, but I didn't realize Texas has such a huge chunk in the logistics game.

Top Ten logistics Hubs:
1.New York-Newark
2.Houston
3.Minneapolis-St. Paul
4.Dallas-Fort Worth
5.Kansas City
6.St. Louis
7.Chicago
8.Cleveland
9.Boston
10.San Francisco

San Antonio, Beaumont, Corpus, Austin, El Paso, Lubbock, Amarillo, Brownsville and Laredo all made tge top 100.
The Top 50 Logistics Cities in the United States | Transportation & Distribution content from Material Handling & Logistics

SUPPLY CHAIN TOP 5:

1. CHICAGO
2. Los Angeles
3. Houston
4 . Memphis
5. Atlanta
Top 5 US logistics cities - Supply Chain Digital

BUSINESS FACILITIES
1. MEMPHIS
2. CHICAGO
3 . HOUSTON
4. LA
5. New Orleans
6. New York
7. Mobile
8. Philadelphia
9. Charleston
10. Savannah
Memphis named nation?s No. 1 logistics hub - Memphis Business Journal

Logistics has been a major growth area but it is hardly ever mentioned as a reason Texas is booming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 04:32 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,218,878 times
After the 80's bust, Houston businesses wisely made the decision to diversify and grow the city's assets.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
After the bust, Houston businesses wisely made the decision to diversify and grow the city's assets.
Seems like a dozen other Texas cities did the same. Texas is doing well in diversified areas, but only oil is ever mentioned.

I think Nafta produced just as big a boom in the number of jobs as energy did

Old 08-17-2013, 04:48 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,900,657 times
Speaking of logistics...when we lived in Dallas I sent a prescription in to our mail order provider. When I got the tracking number back they were going to fill it in Fort Worth, put it on a plane to Louisville, then put it on another plane back to DFW and then drive it to my house. I called them directly and said "you do know my house is 50 miles from the warehouse, right?"

Old 08-17-2013, 05:47 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Everytime Texas economy is mentioned it is passed off as mainly oil, but I didn't realize Texas has such a huge chunk in the logistics game.

Top Ten logistics Hubs:
1.New York-Newark
2.Houston
3.Minneapolis-St. Paul
4.Dallas-Fort Worth
5.Kansas City
6.St. Louis
7.Chicago
8.Cleveland
9.Boston
10.San Francisco

San Antonio, Beaumont, Corpus, Austin, El Paso, Lubbock, Amarillo, Brownsville and Laredo all made tge top 100.
The Top 50 Logistics Cities in the United States | Transportation & Distribution content from Material Handling & Logistics

SUPPLY CHAIN TOP 5:

1. CHICAGO
2. Los Angeles
3. Houston
4 . Memphis
5. Atlanta

BUSINESS FACILITIES
1. MEMPHIS
2. CHICAGO
3 . HOUSTON
4. LA
5. New Orleans
6. New York
7. Mobile
8. Philadelphia
9. Charleston
10. Savannah

Logistics has been a major growth area but it is hardly ever mentioned as a reason Texas is booming
You're not very smooth Htown.

Old 08-17-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Speaking of logistics...when we lived in Dallas I sent a prescription in to our mail order provider. When I got the tracking number back they were going to fill it in Fort Worth, put it on a plane to Louisville, then put it on another plane back to DFW and then drive it to my house. I called them directly and said "you do know my house is 50 miles from the warehouse, right?"
Thats the crazy world we live in now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
You're not very smooth Htown.
I beg to differ. Smooth like a criminal

Old 08-17-2013, 06:26 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,976,058 times
Here in Austin we're starting to see a resurgence in the construction of warehouses. We're seeing an increase in hard manufacturing with Flextronics, Samsung, HID and Genesis Products. Warehouses are needed as part of the economic engine, especially since businesses use just in time (JIT) delivery to control production costs.

Currently I am working on one project that will add 350K of warehouse at on site on I-35 in North Austin. It's good to see this happening because it means the developers have customers wanting warehouse space.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:27 AM

581 posts, read 924,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post

Top Ten logistics Hubs:
1.New York-Newark
2.Houston
3.Minneapolis-St. Paul
4.Dallas-Fort Worth
5.Kansas City
6.St. Louis
7.Chicago
8.Cleveland
9.Boston
10.San Francisco

SUPPLY CHAIN TOP 5:

1. CHICAGO
2. Los Angeles
3. Houston
4 . Memphis
5. Atlanta

BUSINESS FACILITIES
1. MEMPHIS
2. CHICAGO
3 . HOUSTON
4. LA
5. New Orleans
6. New York
7. Mobile
8. Philadelphia
9. Charleston
10. Savannah

Binkyman' Market Report: What is logistics versus distribution?

As a distribution area of warehouses has developed in Ennis, Texas, a logistics center is developing further north along I-45 in southern Dallas county in and around the little city of Lancaster, Tx. While Ennis is located along a strategic point at a crossroads where 287 bypasses I-45 going north towards Dallas from Houston, the logistics are of Lancaster is a confluence of sorts of rail, of a freeway by-pass in I-20, an airport that is being redeveloped in Lancaster, and the ship channel of Houston located some 220 miles to the south.

The by-pass of 287 from I-45 now travels northwest of Ennis into Tarrant county where it serves an already existing logistics center located in northeast Tarrant county built up around a similar rail port, Alliance airport, and its location along by-passes outside of the inner cities, and, again, the port of Houston.

In other words, in the logistics world of by land, by air, and by water, the port of Houston plays the by water part for Dallas - Fort Worth.

What Lancaster has going for it right now are the three types of trucking that are forming at the intersection of I-45 and I-20 and south of there in the way of Over-the-Road, break down, and container hauling.

Significance?

Right now the city of Fort Worth is in the process of reloading its economy concerning its manufacturing base. When the right amount of logistics are combined in one area, then industry and manufacturing are attracted to that area. A lot of times those manufacturing plants and industry bring their own trucking fleets.

The hope in southeast Dallas county is to match the same synergy that now exists in northwest Tarrant county to the extent that manufacturing and industry develop out from it. A recent significant development happened recently when Alliance, the developer of the logistics area in northeast Tarrant county, bought property in the logistics area of southeast Dallas county for future warehouse development.

Last edited by binkyman; 08-18-2013 at 09:07 AM..

Old 08-18-2013, 08:47 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,056,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
Here in Austin we're starting to see a resurgence in the construction of warehouses. We're seeing an increase in hard manufacturing with Flextronics, Samsung, HID and Genesis Products. Warehouses are needed as part of the economic engine, especially since businesses use just in time (JIT) delivery to control production costs.

Currently I am working on one project that will add 350K of warehouse at on site on I-35 in North Austin. It's good to see this happening because it means the developers have customers wanting warehouse space.
...Which is great, and I hope we see more of it.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:48 AM

581 posts, read 924,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsson View Post
After the 80's bust, Houston businesses wisely made the decision to diversify and grow the city's assets.
Houston does have a lot of diversity of shipping into the port of Houston concerning the delivering of pipe to the 100 pipe yards that are located in the area, steel to the 300 or so fabricating plants serving the energy companies dotting the area, and the oil and gas to the 100 refineries also located all about southeast Texas.

Indeed, don't tankers deliver oil into the thousands of oil tanks located within the numerous refineries along the port?

What would a pipeline be considered in the world of logistics? Houston has a lot of those as well.

Pipe can legally come off a ship at the port of Houston from japan, be worked on at numerous pipe yards in northeast Harris county, reloaded back onto the ship to Latin American to be used there, and never touch U.S. soil. That is what is going on. Japan makes a lot of unfinished oil pipe. Lone Star, in Texas, makes better quality steel, but Japan makes a far better shape of steel in being perfectly round.

I once worked hauling pipe in Houston and we would, at times, deliver a load of pipe to another yard just across the street that specialized in doing something different to the foreign pipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas