Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 06:38 PM

112 posts, read 181,127 times

Advertisements

Okay. Now that I know I'd like to move to Texas I'd have to make a plan. If I can secure a teaching job and take 40k in cash with me is that enough? Husband will have to try and find a job later on because I'm the one that keeps the household at the moment while he's looking for work. I would take that much in order to cover expenses such as rental, maybe leasing a second car for husband, in case my job were to fall through, moving expenses, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 06:52 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,568,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2? View Post
Okay. Now that I know I'd like to move to Texas I'd have to make a plan. If I can secure a teaching job and take 40k in cash with me is that enough? Husband will have to try and find a job later on because I'm the one that keeps the household at the moment while he's looking for work. I would take that much in order to cover expenses such as rental, maybe leasing a second car for husband, in case my job were to fall through, moving expenses, etc.
Glad you enjoyed your trip enough to want to move here. I can't help you in terms of financial decisions but I'm curious which part of the state your considering

Old 07-29-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Glad you enjoyed your trip enough to want to move here. I can't help you in terms of financial decisions but I'm curious which part of the state your considering

I'm willing to go to San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, or Houston.

Just want opinions if that might be enough money to get started. I can't be in this miserable state anymore. Makes me angry and sad to have been in NJ all my life. Didn't realize that what was making me so unhappy was my location. ONce I figured out I wanted to leave NJ, I visited some areas of the US to see something different. NOthing has felt as right as Texas so far. I've only explored the midwest and east coast, but I know it's too pricey to live in California which is another area I'd like.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:15 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,311,645 times
We're not exactly desperate for teachers in this state but need varies from city to city. Ask in each of the forums for the cities you're interested in. I know teachers in DISD and RISD and they say it's tough going; no huge need for teachers right now.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
We're not exactly desperate for teachers in this state but need varies from city to city. Ask in each of the forums for the cities you're interested in. I know teachers in DISD and RISD and they say it's tough going; no huge need for teachers right now.
what is DISD and RISD?

Old 07-29-2013, 07:38 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,957,539 times
Dallas & Richardson Independent School District.

My daughter's a teacher in one of Houston's school districts--I don't know what the demand is there. Agree that you should probably check around. The larger cities have several school systems each, all with various needs & pay scales. Good luck!
$40k sounds like a good nest egg to start with.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:36 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,660,788 times
40k is quite enough for most people, if you have job lined up. The job will be the hard part. If you have experience (maybe 5+ years), or teach secondary school, or especially if you are a secondary science or math teacher, you have a decent chance. If you are an inexperience or right out of school elementary teacher, that will be a lot tougher.

If you are willing to work in 'underperforming' schools or very rural schools, you will have more of a chance, as well. Finding a plum job in a excellent school district is hard to do.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:45 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,444,720 times
Many of the suburban San Antonio districts are holding huge job fairs right now as a last ditch effort to get teachers.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:29 AM

11,863 posts, read 26,903,548 times
Although I am not very familiar with that industry, I have heard that there are currently too many teachers in Texas. Thanks to our local ISDs shedding jobs, and the influx of relocating folks like yourself, the supply of teachers far exceeds demand. If you are bilingual, teach an in-demand subject (math or science) or coach, hopefully that will put you ahead of the rest of the herd.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:34 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,311,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
Many of the suburban San Antonio districts are holding huge job fairs right now as a last ditch effort to get teachers.
Maybe some of the out of work teachers up here should go down there. One of the RISD teachers I know only got her job through years (and I mean YEARS) of subbing for less than $100 a day. She made good connections while subbing and used them to her advantage when an opportunity presented itself.

It is definitely tough out there in some ISDs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas