Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 06:24 PM

378 posts, read 1,442,216 times

Advertisements

A megalopolis is formed when two or more major metros are combined. and if SA and Austin combine to form one CSA then it would met megalopolis definition.

Also this argument was started to show SA and Austin combined would be a beast which is true they will be huge when they finally connect with each other.

I see your point and DFW area and the Houston area are both way bigger then Austin or San Antonio but that wasn't the point intended by these posters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 06:55 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,700,202 times
By that definition, DFW could also be considered a megalopolis (loosely speaking).

Megalopolis (city type) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The key looks like a population of 10M+.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:59 PM

415 posts, read 506,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler guy View Post
A megalopolis is formed when two or more major metros are combined. and if SA and Austin combine to form one CSA then it would met megalopolis definition.

Also this argument was started to show SA and Austin combined would be a beast which is true they will be huge when they finally connect with each other.

I see your point and DFW area and the Houston area are both way bigger then Austin or San Antonio but that wasn't the point intended by these posters.
Combined now, they aren't much larger than Minneapolis-St. Paul, or Seattle-Tacoma. Hell, they are smaller than Phoenix...

And a megalopolis has a population over 10 million. Austin-SA does not.

Old 07-06-2008, 10:20 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofi713 View Post
It's not a megalopolis. Go look up what a megalopolis is.

Again we agree....A megalopolis would be a continous urban corridor between DFW and SA......An example is the stretch along I-95 from Boston to Washington DC, even there, there are some voids, but only by about 20 -40 miles. A Mini-Megalopolis is possible between Waco and SA probably in the next 50 years, But between DFW and SA, closer to 100 years.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:12 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,146,572 times
This scholarly report which includes census data and current populations lists two megapolitan areas in Texas. The I-35 corridor is one. It begins in San Antonio and continues northward to Kansas. The population in the year 2000 is above 14,000,000. The second megapolitan area is along the Texas coast and follows the coast into Louisiana and beyond. The map of all US megapolitan areas is on page 13 of the report, and the I-35 corridor map is on page 21. Happy reading!

http://www.mi.vt.edu/uploads/MegaCensusReport.pdf (broken link)

Old 07-07-2008, 10:30 PM

415 posts, read 506,373 times
Yeah, the one that starts in Houston (though some reports have it extend to Brownsville), then it ends in Tallahassee I think. Population 13 million in 2000.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesAbilene View Post
This scholarly report which includes census data and current populations lists two megapolitan areas in Texas. The I-35 corridor is one. It begins in San Antonio and continues northward to Kansas. The population in the year 2000 is above 14,000,000. The second megapolitan area is along the Texas coast and follows the coast into Louisiana and beyond. The map of all US megapolitan areas is on page 13 of the report, and the I-35 corridor map is on page 21. Happy reading!

http://www.mi.vt.edu/uploads/MegaCensusReport.pdf (broken link)
I called them megapolitan areas instead of megalopolitan areas. The report uses the term megalopolis. If you read the report, you will see that its definition of the area includes strings of both metropolitan and micropolitan contiguous areas. Thus, the I-35 corridor makes the grade.

Old 07-07-2008, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kofi713 View Post
Yeah, the one that starts in Houston (though some reports have it extend to Brownsville), then it ends in Tallahassee I think. Population 13 million in 2000.
The report I referred to shows the Gulf Coast area beginning at Brownsville and extending into Florida. It is all pretty fascinating. They also make predictions as to the populations of the 10 US megas in 2040. Abilene, my home, is not in any of the lists.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,523 times
okay.. first of all, you are all considering DFW as if it was one city. It isn't. It is several cities with Dallas and Ft. Worth being the two major cities in the area. There are other much larger cities to be included. Take Dallas on its own and take Fort Worth on its own and both SA and Austin beat them respectively. IF you wanna begin adding all the towns and cities inbetween SA and Austin (you would have to include more than just New Braunsfels and San Marcos) and include cities north of austin which are pretty much part of a constant urban area (Georgetown on south till Buda) and give the proper urban growth that would encompass such an area (much larger than the areas of DFW and Houston COMBINED) then you would have one hell of a mega city. Besides, there are statiticians who believe there will be one giant megalopolis in Texas stretching from San Antonio all the way up to DFW. People will finally begin to get smart and get the hell out of Houston. Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/texas...#ixzz0X9gp5AGb

Old 11-18-2009, 11:15 PM

5 posts, read 8,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I'm glad Houston is not on IH-35. It's a good thing we're staying out of this. Hopefully we will become the Chicago or downstate New York in Texas.
Actually, the way things are looking, while it may take a decade longer than Dallas-Austin-San Antonio, Houston might end up connecting to Dallas seeing as Houston is very important as far as international commerce in the Gulf and, as of now, Dallas is in a much better position for domestic commerce than New Orleans. And no the houston metro area is SMALLER than DFW.

Houston will probably end up being the next Los Angeles, Dallas is analoguous to the Silicon Valley, and Austin is, well, San Francisco. San Antonio is pretty much Sacramento (or Death Valley).

But we in Dallas would rather not be connected to Houston either, on account of it being the least friendly city in Texas (I smell a rivalry brewing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas