Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 06:08 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times

Advertisements

These days, buying hay and grain to feed 7 horses in West Texas will be extremely expensive. Not to mention the upkeep on the horses, since the rocky soil will make shoes a must. And, we are talking YEARS of manure, too.

Honestly, if you want farmland, Junction isn't it. Go 100 miles east, and you will have plenty of land to choose from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 07:05 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
These days, buying hay and grain to feed 7 horses in West Texas will be extremely expensive. Not to mention the upkeep on the horses, since the rocky soil will make shoes a must. And, we are talking YEARS of manure, too.

Honestly, if you want farmland, Junction isn't it. Go 100 miles east, and you will have plenty of land to choose from.
I wonder if you even read the post you are replying to. I said we purchased a property that HAD 7 horses on it BEFORE we bought and hence that property was grazed down to rock. It took TWO years of manure and TLC to get enough soil to have a nice sized garden for veggies and a lot of nice grass growing everywhere.

As for the shoes - nonsense. Our two horses go barefoot and they are fine.

As for going 100 miles east - if a person likes a place and they are willing to put in the work, anything is possible.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:44 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
I did read your post. Obviously we do not see eye to eye on this issue.

In recent years, the drought conditions in Texas have gotten worse. Even 10 years ago, we got a lot more rain than we do now. In order to do what you are talking about, you are going to need rain. Right now, that is not guaranteed. To tell someone they can turn bare rock into arable land is, IMHO, a fallacy. YMMV.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:10 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,843,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I did read your post. Obviously we do not see eye to eye on this issue.

In recent years, the drought conditions in Texas have gotten worse. Even 10 years ago, we got a lot more rain than we do now. In order to do what you are talking about, you are going to need rain. Right now, that is not guaranteed. To tell someone they can turn bare rock into arable land is, IMHO, a fallacy. YMMV.
I speak from experience (have done this in the last two years). Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating the "rain follows the plow" theory. That's why I asked the OP if he is hoping to just farm to feed his family or is he actually looking to have a "for profit" business. The latter would be difficult, the former pretty easy.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:51 AM

14 posts, read 34,322 times
Hi everyone - thanks for all of the responses. I would only be interested in raising enough for me and the family, not more - I wasn't inquiring into the possibility of anything on a larger scale than that. Yes I know that the ground is rocky but I also know that there are patches where there is some workable soil and that some things can be done to improve the quality of what may or may not already be there. Very interesting about the seed company. I think I just need to spend some more time out there and drive around. I also started looking further north upriver in the Llano area. Thank you all!

Old 11-05-2013, 09:09 PM

578 posts, read 1,227,784 times
As long as you don't buy the side of a hill, you'll be fine. My family along with many others were self sufficient for many years in this area. If you know what you're doing, you will be just fine in Kimble County. Mason County will work also, but I wouldn't go into Llano. More granite and the water reliability is shaky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas