Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2006, 07:52 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,334,442 times

Advertisements

Hey Spooky!

Enjoy your drive out in the country tomorrow!! Sorry but no dining recommendations from me...never been to Abilene.

Your post reminded me of all the funny "critter" posts we get here which makes it sound like Texas is crawling (literally) with all kinds of crazy critters. Wouldn't it be funny if cows really were one of those critters??

Help! I just moved here from (fill in the blank) and once again I awoke to find a huge cow just standing there in the middle of my kitchen. How do I get rid of these huge critters here in Texas??? Do you think weekly or monthly sprayings will be best? Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2006, 08:06 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,280,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
Your post reminded me of all the funny "critter" posts we get here which makes it sound like Texas is crawling (literally) with all kinds of crazy critters. Wouldn't it be funny if cows really were one of those critters??

Help! I just moved here from (fill in the blank) and once again I awoke to find a huge cow just standing there in the middle of my kitchen. How do I get rid of these huge critters here in Texas??? Do you think weekly or monthly sprayings will be best? Please help!
Well heck, I'd be happy to find a cow in my kitchen. First, they're a lot less scary than the giant daddy long leg spider I found in our garage today with literally 5 inch legs, and the giant other bug that looked like a walking stick, only longer and skinnier and with less of a body. It was the size of my husband's size 13 shoe. What the heck?

Second and more importantly, I could milk the cow and save the $3.50 a gallon I spend on milk since according to HEB customer service in San Antonio, milk never goes on sale here! (it's always buy 1 get 1 free in Arizona, so I actually called HEB corporate yesterday to find out why I hadn't seen any milk sales in 3 weeks)

I think I have a lot to learn....Spooky, the frontage roads are just the tip of the iceberg for me, I'm afraid!!!!

Old 10-17-2006, 08:17 PM

806 posts, read 2,884,793 times
Ahh! You'll adjust and get to consider most of the TX oddities as normal in no time.

I remember way back when I started driving here and couldn't believe how many red light runners I had to let go by before I felt it was safe enough to cross an intersection! Particularly scary when you come from across the pond where the yellow light is considered 'red-in-waiting' and NO ONE dares cross the intersection. It seemed so lawless! Only other places scarier in the west are Italy and Mexico.
I dare anyone to attempt driving in India or Pakistan though. From first hand experience, it's an adventure sure to induce high blood pressure and if expecting...Labour. I've heard that S.E Asia is a place you never want to attempt driving if you value your life. Saigon has been mentioned as the worst.

AT, I hear you on the critter fears! Sometimes it makes me wonder what they'd do if we had the attack of the 50 foot spider I saw on some mindless cable show recently. These critters were chasing a dirt bike though the AZ desert at speeds that would make a leopard lose his spots and turn green with envy!
Not a biggie about lunch in Abilene, I'll run into locals that will guide my hunger to the appropriate trough.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:58 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,334,442 times
Default What's the Problem???

A spider with five inch legs and a bug as long as your husband's size 13 shoe?? Haven't you heard???

EVERYTHING IS BIGGER IN TEXAS!!!

Old 10-18-2006, 07:21 AM

1,207 posts, read 6,280,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
A spider with five inch legs and a bug as long as your husband's size 13 shoe?? Haven't you heard???

EVERYTHING IS BIGGER IN TEXAS!!!
You are correct there, Austin Traveler!!!

Old 10-18-2006, 11:03 AM

16 posts, read 23,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
Texas Critters???

I am going to move some of the last few posts into a new thread with same title (under general Texas forum). This should generate some more interesting comments, and, who knows, maybe something will "bite" or it just might "bug" you to read them!

Steel Man

Great idea we do have the critters..

Old 10-18-2006, 11:18 AM

16 posts, read 23,437 times
I am going to look in my emails and find one email sent to me from one of my CA client that moved to Lakeway. She wrote me a book on her first week in Texas and i was rolling in my chair will all of her close encounters lol.. I hope i didn't deleted it...... She was the first person to coin Texas critters and i have been using it daily. Great lady but i think she is scared of her own shadow.

Old 10-30-2006, 06:00 PM

105 posts, read 147,279 times
My kids and I adopted a baby possum in 2002 - unlike redneck myths - possums are clean animals and always groom themselves but they dont understand that if one is forced to eat out of garbage cans one might get dirty. Alex lived in the house 8 months and was pretty housebroken- a good pet! I have pics if someone wants to email me lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: