Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 05:59 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times

Advertisements

Currently living in Meridian Mississippi and have been for the past several years, working at the Naval Air station here. I may have a possible job offer at Dyess Air Force base in Abilene Texas. I see it's also on I-20, just like Meridian...just really far out there. The city looks a good deal larger than Meridian, but also seems rather isolated.

For someone who's never been to Texas, and has no idea on what Abilene is like, what can you tell me? Is a decent city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 06:07 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
A search here will give you lots of insight. There have been many posts about Abilene!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/texas...ene-texas.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/texas...n-antonio.html

Old 06-06-2014, 06:44 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Currently living in Meridian Mississippi and have been for the past several years, working at the Naval Air station here. I may have a possible job offer at Dyess Air Force base in Abilene Texas. I see it's also on I-20, just like Meridian...just really far out there. The city looks a good deal larger than Meridian, but also seems rather isolated.

For someone who's never been to Texas, and has no idea on what Abilene is like, what can you tell me? Is a decent city?
well Abilene is a mid-sized West Texas city of over 100,000.It has 3 private Christian colleges with Church of Christ-affiliated Abilene Christian being prolly the most well-known of the three.It has a good location if you like to go to Dallas a lot.Its supposed to be a boom town in the future at some point cuz of the Cline.It has two well-known high school football teams, the Cooper Cougars and the Abilene High Eagles.I live about 150 miles west of there so I am somewhat familiar with the area.I think its a great town.Its not really an "exciting city".There is not much night life.The town itself is conservative and Christian.

Last edited by Westerntraveler; 06-06-2014 at 06:58 PM..

Old 06-06-2014, 07:50 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
well Abilene is a mid-sized West Texas city of over 100,000.It has 3 private Christian colleges with Church of Christ-affiliated Abilene Christian being prolly the most well-known of the three.It has a good location if you like to go to Dallas a lot.Its supposed to be a boom town in the future at some point cuz of the Cline.It has two well-known high school football teams, the Cooper Cougars and the Abilene High Eagles.I live about 150 miles west of there so I am somewhat familiar with the area.I think its a great town.Its not really an "exciting city".There is not much night life.The town itself is conservative and Christian.
Doesn't sound like it's too much different from my current city of Meridian Mississippi. Much smaller, still conservative, but a city that is pretty stagnant.

I read that Abilene has water restriction days, is that true?

Old 06-06-2014, 07:52 PM

130 posts, read 297,467 times
ColdAilment - I have conducted research on your question and found the answer.

Water Utilities Department

Old 06-06-2014, 07:58 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,974,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Doesn't sound like it's too much different from my current city of Meridian Mississippi. Much smaller, still conservative, but a city that is pretty stagnant.

I read that Abilene has water restriction days, is that true?
Im pretty sure there are water restrictions.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:01 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,916 times
I grew up here in Abilene, graduated from high school here, moved away for college and work for a while and then moved back here in the 90's. Check out the links above for some information about the best places to live in town, etc. Westerntraveler's description above is accurate. Abilene is a very conservative, Christian-oriented town. Abilene is a good place to raise a family but it's not an exciting town, that's for sure...lol. Most people just go out to eat or go to the movies for entertainment, that kind of stuff. There's a few bars/country-western music dance clubs here but it's been a long time since I've been to one of those. Most people I know are involved in church activities.

As noted in the link above by tx09, there are water restrictions here. Unfortunately we are still in a drought. If you have any more detailed questions about Abilene, just post them here or send me a personal message and I'll be glad to help out.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:57 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
In the early 90s my friends and I stopped in Abilene at a pancake house (can't remember the name). One of my friends had a grandmother who lived there and was recuperating from an illness in the local hospital. She took the car (while we stayed in the restaurant and ate breakfast) to go visit her. We finished eating, left a nice tip, and then went outside to wait for our friend to come back.

As we were waiting, we noticed that several people would stare at us as they arrived and made their way from their cars to the entrance. After about twenty minutes the waitress that had just served us came outside and told us we had to leave, that they had a no loitering policy. I told her what was up, but she insisted that we leave.

We walked next door to the convenience store to continue our wait. Luckily my friend came back after just a few more minutes.

My impression of Abilene is not a favorable one.

Last edited by AguaDulce; 06-07-2014 at 10:31 AM..

Old 06-07-2014, 10:52 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
In the early 90s my friends and I stopped in Abilene at a pancake house (can't remember the name). One of my friends had a grandmother who lived there and was recuperating from an illness in the local hospital. She took the car (while we stayed in the restaurant and ate breakfast) to go visit her. We finished eating, left a nice tip, and then went outside to wait for our friend to come back.

As we were waiting, we noticed that several people would stare at us as they arrived and made their way from their cars to the entrance. After about twenty minutes the waitress that had just served us came outside and told us we had to leave, that they had a no loitering policy. I told her what was up, but she insisted that we leave.

We walked next door to the convenience store to continue our wait. Luckily my friend came back after just a few more minutes.

My impression of Abilene is not a favorable one.
It was probably IHOP. I'm sorry you had that unpleasant experience! I'm very surprised by that because the people that live here are generally very easy-going and friendly. There are even some restaurants here that have benches out front for people to sit on while they wait, for whatever reason. I've sat or stood outside Chili's, the Olive Garden, Texas Roadhouse, and several other restaurants here in town more than once and I've never been asked to leave.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:56 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
I went to college in San Angelo, and then recently, a former employer required me to go to Abilene once a month, so I'm pretty familiar with the town.

Yes, it is a conservative, Christian, family-oriented town. It has decent shopping, some really good steakhouses and BBQ joints, and excellent rodeos several times a year. There's only one Starbucks in town, and the drive thru line can be really long. It's a 3-hour drive to Fort Worth or Midland, and a 1-hour flight to DFW. Yes, there are issues with water; it is West Texas, after all. Housing prices are fairly cheap on average, but there are also plenty of higher-end properties and ranchettes, too.

Dyes AFB is a fixture in the community, and military folks get a lot of respect and are welcomed by the locals. As a military spouse, I often went out on base to do some shopping and it is a small but nice base. I stayed in the VOQ once (hotels were full due to rodeo in town), and it was very nice and clean.

Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas