Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 3,871 times

Advertisements

Hello, Everyone! We are planning a move to Texas, and are researching where we can live on a lake; we can choose any area of Texas, and are looking for the following: 1. Fewest tornadoes 2. Lowest humidity 3. Close to a large city (30-60 miles) 4. Not too windy 5. Good fishing Gee, we don't want much, do we? Can you all suggest some lakes to consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2007, 09:02 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,693,271 times
You're either going to have to move to California, or settle for 2-3 of those 5 options you listed.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:07 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,847,411 times
I suggest you look at the Highland Lakes area; Marble Falls, Meadowlakes, Horshoe Bay. Although it is a bit windier than some other places. An hour to Austin, an hour and a half to San Antonio. Tornadoes? I've lived in TX 30 years and only ever had one within 20 miles of me. It is a bit humid.

Before you settle on TX there are a few things you ought to know; we're not a "low tax" state as many politicians tell you, we just don't have a personal income tax. We have the highest homeowner's (and I think automobile) insurance rates in the country. We have killer property taxes.

Our K-12 schools kind of suck so check the school districts carefull, even if you don't have kids, school quality can drive home prices.

We used to have some top ranked colleges, but that's in the process of changing. A few more years of budget cuts and only the private schools like Rice will be top ranked.

Other than that come on in, we're leaving so there'll be plenty of room for you.

golfgod

Old 12-18-2007, 01:30 PM

13 posts, read 47,882 times
I had a hearty laugh golfgod. You forgot to mention all the toll roads that are going to be a reality. We'll be leaving as soon as retirement rolls around so there will be some more room lol

Old 12-18-2007, 01:42 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,150,148 times
99% of the Texas natives have never seen a tornado, just so you know...

Old 12-19-2007, 01:36 AM

140 posts, read 475,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman268 View Post
Hello, Everyone! We are planning a move to Texas, and are researching where we can live on a lake; we can choose any area of Texas, and are looking for the following: 1. Fewest tornadoes 2. Lowest humidity 3. Close to a large city (30-60 miles) 4. Not too windy 5. Good fishing Gee, we don't want much, do we? Can you all suggest some lakes to consider?
SOunds like you would like where we currently live in NO Central Arkansas, Mild Winters too, today was 51degrees, just an hour away in MO. was 40s to 30s, Great Fishin, and not crowded, also we have some great rivers here Whte and Buffalo , Happy Hunting,

Old 12-20-2007, 01:24 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,252,035 times
We have a few nice lake lakes that are within that commute distance to downtown Dallas if that helps. Lake Ray Hubbard in Rockwall, Lake Lewisville, Lake Grapevine... check this link.

http://www.dfwnetmall.com/e-mag/lakesdfw.htm

Been here 13 years by the lake and love it... haven't seen a tornado yet. Moderate humidity..

Old 12-20-2007, 05:26 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,341,913 times
Default hey Hibby and golfgod..

Say we were just wondering.. when you leave Texas, where are you moving to? My wife and I have been in serious plans in moving to Arizona. We had thoughts of maybe Texas also, but was worried about the humidity and tornado/storms. Can you give some pro's and con's of living in Texas, and what area's are you referring to? Thanks!

Old 12-20-2007, 10:41 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,150,148 times
Lake Texoma is north of Dallas - it has cliffs, trees and islands - lots of potential for appreciation as "Dallas" grows north. My family has had a place there since 1961. You are close enough to come in to the city for items or entertainment, yet still removed from the hustle and bustle. There is also a burgeoning arts scene in nearby Denison.

Old 12-20-2007, 01:51 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,434,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Bound View Post
Say we were just wondering.. when you leave Texas, where are you moving to? My wife and I have been in serious plans in moving to Arizona. We had thoughts of maybe Texas also, but was worried about the humidity and tornado/storms. Can you give some pro's and con's of living in Texas, and what area's are you referring to? Thanks!
Tx has no state income tax and has a lower cost of living then AZ. But I'd just chose the place I WANT to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas