Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 09:30 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,952,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I agree with you on the viewpoint differences. However, California's liberalism is sometimes exaggerated. Ironically, Texas has had a Democratic woman as governor for one term (Ann Richards) and that has yet to happen in California. Jerry Brown's sister Kathleen ran against Republican Pete Wilson in 1994 and lost.
California is odd because it has some of the most liberal and conservative areas in the country. The coastal areas tend to be liberal but the inland areas, particularly areas like Bakersfield, are just as conservative as places in Texas. The difference with Texas is that many Texas Democrats are probably more ideologically similar to east coast Republicans or establishment Republicans than they are California liberal Democrats. In other words, Texas is a more conservative state in part because our Democrats aren't as liberal.

Also, political scientists have been predicting that Texas will become purple for years now and it doesn't seem to be happening - even with the increasing Hispanic population. I have lived in both Texas and California and my experience is that Hispanics in Texas seem to assimilate faster and more completely than do the Hispanics in California. It doesn't take long for Hispanics here to adopt Texas interests such as guns and hunting. My perception in California was that the identification with the native country (usually Mexico) seemed to be more enduring.

Completely anecdotal, but that was my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 11:27 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,495,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
This is exactly what I fear/am excited for.
To be honest it kind of scares me too. Though land isn't at such a premium as San Fran or San Diego, housing prices have been steadily rising for quite some time. Huge population growth needs furious infrastructure improvements to accommodate them, which means higher taxes are inevitable.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:21 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,539,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post

I agree with you on the viewpoint differences. However, California's liberalism is sometimes exaggerated. Ironically, Texas has had a Democratic woman as governor for one term (Ann Richards) and that has yet to happen in California. Jerry Brown's sister Kathleen ran against Republican Pete Wilson in 1994 and lost
The liberals in California make the "liberals" in Texas look like right wing conservatives. Nothing compared to the liberal, anti 2nd amendment nuts out here like Feinstein and Boxer, nothing at all.

Old 07-25-2014, 03:24 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,793,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
The liberals in California make the "liberals" in Texas look like right wing conservatives. Nothing compared to the liberal, anti 2nd amendment nuts out here like Feinstein and Boxer, nothing at all.
You're either a liberal or not. It doesn't change based on where you live.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:52 PM

2,821 posts, read 3,539,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
You're either a liberal or not. It doesn't change based on where you live.
But the degrees of said liberalism do. Just as how both Republicans and the tea party are considered conservatives, The difference is the tea party is WAY to the right and may take issues with things other conservatives do not.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:52 PM

328 posts, read 471,844 times
Default The California comeback, according to Paul Krugman

Paul Krugman blows it out of the water with this piece.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/25/op...an-region&_r=1

California is back. Kansas is in the toilet. The so-called "Texas Miracle" is due to one thing: housing prices.

"Has there been any soul-searching among the prophets of California doom, asking why they were so wrong? Not that I’m aware of. Instead, I’ve been seeing many attempts to devalue the good news from California by pointing out that the state’s job growth still lags that of Texas, which is true, and claiming that this difference is driven by differential tax rates, which isn’t."

"Despite the bursting of the bubble, home values in California are still double the national average, while in Texas they’re 30 percent below that average. So a lot more people are moving to Texas even though wages and productivity are lower than they are in California."

The Republican prescription is failing in Kansas.
Kansas Republican Tax Cuts Are Becoming a Total Disaster - US News

The Democratic formula is working in California. The budget is back in surplus.

So much for all the anti-California nonsense.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:02 PM

382 posts, read 629,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
But the degrees of said liberalism do. Just as how both Republicans and the tea party are considered conservatives, The difference is the tea party is WAY to the right and may take issues with things other conservatives do not.
No, for most it is only the image and how they speak about it that is different in TX. Wendy Davis' history and advocacy suggest that she is as liberal as the rest of the ones you mentioned from CA. If the Dems in TX had power for as long, it would certainly look like CA.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:08 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,394,970 times
I think it's mostly exaggerated due to being an online forum, although there is something to it.

It does get irritating when a transplant to Houston goes on and on about what a great place they came from. And on and on. We just seem to get a lot of transplants from California lately. I also hear from the European transplants too, although they love our housing.

It makes polite conversation at parties and meetings awkward. After 5 minutes i just want to say, "I'm glad you loved it there." And change the subject. I don't talk about any topic ad nauseum. Hopefully?!

Old 07-26-2014, 08:51 AM

382 posts, read 629,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I think it's mostly exaggerated due to being an online forum, although there is something to it.

It does get irritating when a transplant to Houston goes on and on about what a great place they came from. And on and on. We just seem to get a lot of transplants from California lately. I also hear from the European transplants too, although they love our housing.

It makes polite conversation at parties and meetings awkward. After 5 minutes i just want to say, "I'm glad you loved it there." And change the subject. I don't talk about any topic ad nauseum. Hopefully?!
Too many want to have the results of the prior government policies and come here, but once here want the policies to reflect their homeland.

One or two generations later they find that they get what they asked/voted for and begin their search for the next golden land of opportunity.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:59 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bafbjian View Post
So what's the real basis of all the anti-California sentiment and vitriol that gets posted on this forum, with a similar attitude that also seems to be attributed to Californians vis a vis Texas?
Speaking as someone who was born and raised in Dallas...I'm just sick of people moving here and clogging up the roads and raising the COL for all of us because of massive, constant infrastructure work to keep up with population growth and constant construction on roads to attempt to deal with the huge increase in traffic. It drags down our quality of life, such as it was before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas