Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 10:26 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,028,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
You could look west of San Antonio around Castroville, or south of San Antonio around Floresville.
Not lush enough. That area is very dry right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 10:41 AM

4,440 posts, read 5,361,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
You could look west of San Antonio around Castroville, or south of San Antonio around Floresville.
I concur even throwing in La Vernia, Lockhart, or Gonzales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Not lush enough. That area is very dry right now.
Floresville through Seguin up to the areas in between Austin and Houston are all apart of the post oak belt of Texas and are greener than anything west or south of Ft. Worth.

Quote:
The Post Oak Savanah region is a transitional area for many plants and animals whose ranges extend northward into the Great Plains or eastward into the forests. This region, sometimes called the Cross-Timbers, was named by early settlers, who found belts of oak forest crossing strips of prairie grassland. Average annual rainfall averages 28 to 40 inches per year. May or June usually brings a peak in monthly rainfall
Texas Ecoregions

Old 08-04-2014, 11:31 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,028,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
I concur even throwing in La Vernia, Lockhart, or Gonzales.

Floresville through Seguin up to the areas in between Austin and Houston are all apart of the post oak belt of Texas and are greener than anything west or south of Ft. Worth.

Texas Ecoregions
Still...Central Texas is VERY dry right now & its canopy of trees has absolutely nothing on East Texas.

Old 08-04-2014, 12:46 PM

254 posts, read 402,025 times
Good timing by the Star-Telegram today:

New state park west of Fort Worth awaits funding | Fort Worth | News from Fort Worth, Da...

Old 08-05-2014, 11:25 AM

17 posts, read 35,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
Agreed with Brenham suggestion. Green rolling hills. Pastoral looking area with lots of pleasant small towns.
Sounds divine!

Debbie

Old 08-05-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Please keep in mind that a large percentage of Texas is currently in a very prolonged drought.
United States Drought Monitor > Home
If you are looking for farmland, and you don't want to spend a fortune on irrigation, you need to look east of I35. And no, the area west of Fort Worth is not green at all. It looks more like the set of an old west movie with scrub brush, Mesquite trees, and a few high, rocky ridges.

Most importantly, what is your budget for this land, and how long of a commute are you willing to tolerate? Basements are not common in residential homes in most of Texas.
Just to clarify, we’re not looking to use the farmland as primary income.

While we recognize that the basement is not common, but we are aware that it is not unfeasible. We’d certainly prefer mostly soil (or clay, depending on location) than rocky type soil.

Up to an hour drive for hubby. He’s a senior structural/civil engineer with experiences of concrete, bridges, waste water, commercial building, construction, some aspects of environmental.

Budget? Preferably $100K to $300K, depending on the size of land and existing house. Also, we prefer at least 20 acres and up to few hundred acres (if the price is right).

Thanx.
Debbie

Old 08-05-2014, 11:58 AM

3,491 posts, read 6,985,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by four family View Post
Just to clarify, we’re not looking to use the farmland as primary income.

While we recognize that the basement is not common, but we are aware that it is not unfeasible. We’d certainly prefer mostly soil (or clay, depending on location) than rocky type soil.

Up to an hour drive for hubby. He’s a senior structural/civil engineer with experiences of concrete, bridges, waste water, commercial building, construction, some aspects of environmental.

Budget? Preferably $100K to $300K, depending on the size of land and existing house. Also, we prefer at least 20 acres and up to few hundred acres (if the price is right).

Thanx.
Debbie
there's no way you are gonna get a few hundred acres in Hill Country or La Grange area and possibly Brenham(although I don't quote me about that town) for that budget.Land in lots of Central Texas and most of the Hill Country is 5-10 k per acre.You may have a hard time having a house on 20 acres on your budget.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
there's no way you are gonna get a few hundred acres in Hill Country or La Grange area and possibly Brenham(although I don't quote me about that town) for that budget.Land in lots of Central Texas and most of the Hill Country is 5-10 k per acre.You may have a hard time having a house on 20 acres on your budget.
I know we’ve seen multiple lands (with or without existing houses) at very good price, when we visited Texas. I admit I don’t recall which section of Texas, because we traveled large portions of Texas.

Perhaps, we should start thinking of looking into ghost town for sale? I’m joking! Um…..I think I’m joking.

We live in our house that we and a part-time builder built. Building a house wouldn’t be new to us. A pain in the rear end, but not undoable for us.

Thanx. Much appreciated for your input!
Debbie

Old 08-05-2014, 12:10 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,553,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by four family View Post

Then I'd look east of Dallas, in the areas surrounding Interstates 20 and 30: Tyler, Mt Pleasant, Sulphur Springs. That's mostly sandy soil, green and rolling, and no water shortage looming.

Closer to Dallas, you can find black clay but the price goes up, the land is flat, and water shortage is of some concern, although not nearly as much as points south and west.

Wherever you look, your only shot at a basement would be a house built on the side of a hill, with a walk-out lower level room.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:12 PM

The rest of those I haven’t individually replied to, I have not ignored you. I am adding things to my list of your inputs.

I thank you all for your time and inputs.
Of course, any additional inputs will be appreciated.

Debbie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas