Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2014, 05:05 PM

27 posts, read 39,580 times

Advertisements

Just moved to Colorado County from Connecticut, boy this stuff is confusing. Not even sure what my monthly usage will be. I live in a one level, two bedroom house. Looking at my old usage up north, I averaged about 850-900 kwh/month for the last year. Don't know if that's going to change because of more air conditioning usage and what not. I try to keep it on 76-78 during the day and 78 at night so far, but realize this isn't peak heat season anymore. My wife is going to be working from home as well.

I'm on powertochoose.com, looking at Breeze for a 3 month contract that charges 7.7 cents/1000kwh or 10 cents/500kwh Does most everyone use over 1,000/month?

Any suggestions for a provider you would recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2014, 05:19 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,815,933 times
Is your heat, and dryer gas or electric? Does the Ms. use the oven a lot? Gas or electric? Is it a fairly new home or an older? Are the windows in good shape? How about the exterior insulation? Do you have large trees for shade? On the west and south sides?

If you're going to use the AC a lot then 500kwh isn't going to be a lot. And that may be a tiered price structure. A rate for the first 1000kwh, a bit less for the next 1000kwh.

It's going to cool off dramatically in the next few weeks so if your heat is gas then your electric use is going to drop as well. Also, you might try using fans to keep the air moving rather than a lower temp. It's the compressor that uses the juice and the cooler you keep it the more juice the compressor drinks. And Columbus is going to be pretty humid being so close to the coast. Using a DE-humidifer helps to keep the air cooler. And plants will like the h2o it produces.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:30 PM

27 posts, read 39,580 times
Heat and the dryer are electric. Oven use is normal I believe, also electric. Older home, windows appear dated. Exterior is wood. Tons of trees on the property and the house is under good shade all around.

About to get some more ceiling fans put in as well.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:45 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,815,933 times
I'd try to get a short contract, watch how the appliances use the electric. If the house performs well against the cooler elements then it probably will against the heat. If it's drafty and cold then you'll probably use more AC in the summer. Watch the kwh's, check the bill closely for a while then shop for a good rate.

And watch for a difference between the kwh charge and an item called TDU. Some bill that separately, and it ain't cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas