Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 02:08 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Agreed!

No one has mentioned Albuquerque yet. I would recommend its summer climate and big city amenities over Tucson's. And Las Cruces over Fredericksburg or Kerrville for smaller city ambiance.
Both have a lower COL than either Tucson or San Antonio, I believe.
I will admit I miss the incredibly aridity of the Four Corners region, and its colder, drier winters.......

If they're considering Tucson, the heat in ABQ and LC won't bother them. But she's indicated she doesn't like NM.....

Last edited by Cathy4017; 11-28-2014 at 02:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 07:06 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
The Hill Country may be slightly less humid than Ohio, but it'll probably be considerably warmer in the summer, and depending on the person the extra heat may make it more unbearable.

You might want to check out Pueblo, Colorado. I normally wouldn't make that recommendation to someone who's explicitly looking to move to Colorado because Pueblo has more of a southwestern feel. It's not as hot as Tucson and nowhere near as humid as Ohio or the Hill Country. Humidity levels below 20% are common in the summer in Pueblo.

Pueblo still has a winter. The city gets some snow, but overall it's generally milder than a fair portion of the rest of the state. Plus it's reasonably close to Denver & Colorado Springs for entertainment, and the mountains offer a respite from the heat during the summer.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:24 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,847,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The Hill Country may be slightly less humid than Ohio, but it'll probably be considerably warmer in the summer, and depending on the person the extra heat may make it more unbearable.

You might want to check out Pueblo, Colorado. I normally wouldn't make that recommendation to someone who's explicitly looking to move to Colorado because Pueblo has more of a southwestern feel. It's not as hot as Tucson and nowhere near as humid as Ohio or the Hill Country. Humidity levels below 20% are common in the summer in Pueblo.

Pueblo still has a winter. The city gets some snow, but overall it's generally milder than a fair portion of the rest of the state. Plus it's reasonably close to Denver & Colorado Springs for entertainment, and the mountains offer a respite from the heat during the summer.
I didn't think of Colorado,since we are trying to escape winter weather,as well. Pueblo doesn't sound too bad at all.Do you know of any other places in CO with a similar climate?BTW, I love mountains!

OMG,you just shot my subject title to this thread!

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 11-29-2014 at 03:02 AM..

Old 11-29-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I didn't think of Colorado,since we are trying to escape winter weather,as well. Pueblo doesn't sound too bad at all.Do you know of any other places in CO with a similar climate?BTW, I love mountains!

Both of us having high blood pressure, are concerned about the high altitude,however!

Think we better stick with one of these two areas.

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 11-29-2014 at 09:44 AM..

Old 11-29-2014, 09:53 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Quote:
I didn't think of Colorado,since we are trying to escape winter weather,as well. Pueblo doesn't sound too bad at all.
Pueblo, CO thread with some good information.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:54 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
Quote:

Cañon City has a drier climate than Pueblo and is even closer to the mountains. The COL is a little higher, though, and it's a much smaller town.

Grand Junction is on the opposite side of the state, and while it can get chilly in the winter the city only averages 19.1 inches of snow per year. The climate in Junction is mild enough for peach orchards and vineyards. It's about 4 hours west of Denver, 4.5 hours southeast of Salt Lake City, and a leisurely 7.5 hour drive from Las Vegas.

Quote:
Both of us having high blood pressure, are concerned about the high altitude,however!

Think we better stick with one of these two areas.
For what it's worth, I had high blood pressure in Dallas, and I still have it here. It didn't go up or down when we moved back to Colorado. If you're on maintenance meds for it you should be fine.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post

There really wasn't any info about the winters there at all!

Old 11-29-2014, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by bluescreen73
Quote:
For what it's worth, I had high blood pressure in Dallas, and I still have it here. It didn't go up or down when we moved back to Colorado. If you're on maintenance meds for it you should be fine.
We are more concerned about the risk of 'elevation sickness'.
Also persistent strong winds don't appeal.

I'm strongly thinking that Texas is going to win out over,Tucson,so now will have to choose between Fredericksburg, Kerrville, and San Angelo.

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 11-29-2014 at 11:47 AM..

Old 12-03-2014, 04:03 AM

This is how I'm feeling,oh yeah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liuCTk2nPG8

Old 12-03-2014, 06:07 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
As long as people are bringing up Colorado, let me mention Grand Junction, another place I've lived. One of the natives - a secretary at the clinic where I worked - used to refer to GJ as "the banana belt", meaning that it was much warmer and more temperate than the more alpine regions of Colorado. GJ is on the Western Slope, only about 40 miles east of the Utah border. It's a small city with fairly adequate resources and amenities. It is nestled in the Grand Valley ("Grand" was once what American settlers called the Colorado River). It has a wonderful national park of high canyon lands just west of town, the Colorado National Monument. I used to hike their constantly. To the east is the largest flat-top mountain in the world, the Grand Mesa, which includes a small, family oriented ski resort (not a touristy place and pretty much unknown to people outside Colorado, I think). I only lived there a couple of years, neither of which had much snow in the valley at all. The place is VERY dry. We had a swamp cooler, which was pretty normal around there, and you can only effectively use those in places with extremely low humidity (in Texas you used to find them out in the Permian Basin). We moved there in the month of December and the climate was so dry that we had to put lotion on our cats' paw pads because they got chapped. It was also the first time, at the age of 27, that I bought facial moisturizer. Certainly GJ does have a winter with some snow, but it really isn't bad at all. It's a very cute small city and I felt bad to move from there, but did so in the interest of career advancement. It was a romantic thing to move there in the first place, as I'd always wanted to live in the West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas