Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2014, 10:16 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
A lot of Texas is classified as semi arid steppe which means that it gets a little more rain than a desert, but in the grand scheme of things doesn't look much different. Midland Odessa isn't a desert but to someone who didn't know better it looks like one. Same with Lubbock. Same with Amarillo. Same with Laredo. Probably 1/4th to 1/3rd of Texas looks similar enough to deserts that it could be mistaken for one.

Officially though, only the trans pecos region (roughly) is 'desert'.
Yes, it is truly fascinating how dumb people can be. I once had someone tell me that San Antonio was in the desert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 04:09 PM

5,447 posts, read 7,743,493 times
The state where I grew up--Oregon has the same problem but in reverse. Two-thirds of Oregon is actually desert but most people think the entire state is full of evergreens and rain. This is the typical landscape in the eastern 2/3rds of the state.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:18 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
It's rare, but I've even heard people claim that they thought Houston was in the desert. Houston.

Yes, the ignorance is rampant. Some people actually think that the presence of Cactus = "desert". The only part of Texas that strikes me as TRULY desert is the two Westernmost counties (El Paso and Hudspeth). Some of Presidio county as well, but even much of the Trans-Pecos, though definitely dry and rugged, seems more Steppe to me than actual desert. There are even some small pockets of Pine and Juniper forest in the Davis mountains.

Cities like Amarillo and Lubbock are not even close to being desert. That's just the high, grassy plains. More like Kansas than Arizona.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:16 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
The state where I grew up--Oregon has the same problem but in reverse. Two-thirds of Oregon is actually desert but most people think the entire state is full of evergreens and rain. This is the typical landscape in the eastern 2/3rds of the state.
I think that's mostly due to the fact that Oregon's most popular city is located in the forested 1/3 of the state. But in Texas, virtually none of the major cities or important points of interest are located in the desert.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:28 PM

587 posts, read 961,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
I think that's mostly due to the fact that Oregon's most popular city is located in the forested 1/3 of the state.
Yeah, and most people can only name one city in Oregon, Seattle. j/k

Old 12-17-2014, 06:55 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,583 times
This thread prompted me to remember a western movie from the 60s, "Texas Across the River". In it, a group of people flee across the Sabine River into Texas ... whereupon they gaze into a vast desert landscape. Which, in reality, would have been either dense pine forest or cypress swamp. I have never forgotten the weirdness of that misrepresentation.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:22 PM

5,447 posts, read 7,743,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone2k View Post
This thread prompted me to remember a western movie from the 60s, "Texas Across the River". In it, a group of people flee across the Sabine River into Texas ... whereupon they gaze into a vast desert landscape. Which, in reality, would have been either dense pine forest or cypress swamp. I have never forgotten the weirdness of that misrepresentation.
And the famous John Wayne western, "The Searchers" was set in Central Texas during the Comanche wars so it should have been rolling blackland prairie and post oak savannah landscape. Of of course they filmed it in Monument Valley Arizona

Last edited by texasdiver; 12-17-2014 at 08:13 PM..

Old 12-17-2014, 08:50 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
I think that's mostly due to the fact that Oregon's most popular city is located in the forested 1/3 of the state. But in Texas, virtually none of the major cities or important points of interest are located in the desert.
I'd consider Big Bend NP a fairly important point of interest, and El Paso may not be a "major" city, but it's the #5 metro in the state. Not exactly podunk. Still, it's not exactly representative of the entire state.

As for Oregon, there really isn't any city at all East of the Cascades, unless one considers Hermiston a metropolis. Eastern Oregon is one of the most desolate and uninhabited areas in the nation.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:23 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
It's rare, but I've even heard people claim that they thought Houston was in the desert. Houston.

Yes, the ignorance is rampant. Some people actually think that the presence of Cactus = "desert". The only part of Texas that strikes me as TRULY desert is the two Westernmost counties (El Paso and Hudspeth). Some of Presidio county as well, but even much of the Trans-Pecos, though definitely dry and rugged, seems more Steppe to me than actual desert. There are even some small pockets of Pine and Juniper forest in the Davis mountains.

Cities like Amarillo and Lubbock are not even close to being desert. That's just the high, grassy plains. More like Kansas than Arizona.
Have you not been to Winkler County? Pretty desert-like. Yes, there is low scrub and maybe some scattered mesquites, but the soil is largely sand. It might be classified as arid steppe, but to almost anyone it would be considered desert, and I'd say this is true of much of the Permian Basin.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:43 AM

107 posts, read 155,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
The state where I grew up--Oregon has the same problem but in reverse. Two-thirds of Oregon is actually desert but most people think the entire state is full of evergreens and rain.
Thanky you!
I have just stoped being one of them!

In fact I knew that Oregon is huge, so it would be logical to be diverse and not all the one way round, but never check it, and always took Oregon one of this Cascadian, storngly mountian, heavy forested, cold region with little sun presence. Something like Scandinavia with its fiords and mountians, but more unfriendly to habitation one.

Another myth deconstructed!

Now I will think of colder Arizona, whenever one will be referring to eastern Oregon.

Quote:
That's huge blow to mind. I never personally liked Houston, but how to be that humid, coastal and so on, and desert?

In Europe people excusively associate Houston with "Houston, we' ve got a problem" and hence aerospace facilities. But many do not know nothing about aero instudtry world class that is going in TX and, for exapmle, Huntsville, AL.

Quote:
Yes, the ignorance is rampant.
I am glad i am not the first who happenned to say it. But I age 100% in every topic. So let me make some another threads to spread knowledge and punch myth in the face. Cause knowledge is fun and I enjoy realising that Oregon is in fact more destrted than forested.

Last edited by Yenisey; 12-18-2014 at 12:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas