Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2011, 01:50 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times

Advertisements

Often it seems like advocates of TOD, public transit, bicycling and other less-suburban modes of living are accused of hating automobiles or wanting to eliminate cars altogether. This article and its accompanying study point out what seems obvious to me: there is no such thing as a "war on cars," just as nobody is trying to force all Americans to live in Soviet-style apartment blocks or Manhattan-style skyscrapers.

The latest battle in the nonexistent ‘War on Cars’ | Grist
Quote:
Critics are wrong to claim that raising road tolls, parking fees or fuel taxes is unfair. Does charging admission at movie theatres constitute a "war on film viewers"? Does charging for bread constitute a "war on eaters?"
The truth is, as Litman points out, that no one is calling for an obliteration of cars from the American landscape. Reform advocates instead want policies that give more people more choice -- which might be nice, considering the way gas prices are going.
And choice is really what it is all about--the ability to choose between different modes of living and different modes of transportation, which varies from place to place.
Quote:
Recently, The Washington's Post Ezra Klein wrote a post (in response to the recent anti-rail screed from Newsweek's George Will) called "Can't I just be pro-transportation?" Here's how Klein puts it:
My household owns a car. When it breaks down, we will purchase another car. And yet, I think it'd be good for this country to have better mass transit and better high-speed rail lines. Why? Well, my car is good for some things and bad for others. It's good for going to get dinner in the suburbs, or furniture from Ikea. It's bad for driving around Washington's insanely crowded city streets during rush hour. It's good for picking up a used chair I bought on 14th Street. It's bad for driving to work, as parking costs $15 a day. It's good for getting to places an hour or two away. It's bad for getting to New York, as I don't have a place to park, don't want to drive while I'm there and would like to use my transit time to get some work done.
Nobody is saying that rural residents have to trade their autos for public transit, nobody is threatening to plow up all the suburbs and shove suburbanites in a "Trail of Tears" into cold-water flats and inner-city tenements. But the myth of the "War on Cars" persists somehow--this article (and its linked references) provides some solid evidence to the contrary.

Last edited by houstoner; 03-27-2011 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: copyright issues -- please review the TOS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 02:05 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
I admit it. I LOVE cars. I love the mobility and freedom I get from owning a couple nice cars. I love going fast and 4wheeling up/down crazy-hard trails..I really do.

But damn... I will not be able to afford to pay for future gas prices that will make today's prices seem like a bargain.

I will cry bucketloads of tears when I can no longer regularly hear the roar of gas engines, but it's gonna happen, sure as winter comes every year. Hell, it's already happening...

Old 03-25-2011, 10:06 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,285,320 times
Chango: I don't agree. The automobile is going to be with us for a long time. Your hobby may be more expensive, but you will still be able to engage in it--the difference is that your hobby may not continue to be a requirement for living and working in most of the United States.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:30 PM

896 posts, read 1,853,830 times
Cars don't need to go away. Imposed car based lifestyles do however. Owning a car should just be more akin to owning a boat, ATV, or snowmobile. Still a transportation option, but more of a personal toy, than a necessity. Maybe we would see way less cars everywhere and those driving them would just be leisure driving and not driving like reckless a-holes. Perhaps then we could put stiffer penalties on driving recklessly. That would be better.

I shouldn't need a car though.

Old 03-26-2011, 04:17 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,876,284 times
Nice post wburg. I don't see how anyone can argue against having options. This says it all:

Well, my car is good for some things and bad for others.

I've mentioned many times how I hate driving. However, it's mostly a product of not having options, as Klein wrote. Most places in the US provide little-to-no practical choices, thus my current reliance on a car.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:29 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
I do not think cars and trucks should have a monopoly on transportation. There is also the impression that since electric cars are being introduced, we will be forced to switch. Equally ludicrous.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:31 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
I would absolutely love a "war on auto dependency." I agree that in an ideal world the car would be a nice option, but not a necessity for life for most Americans. Cars certainly have their uses and their place, but it's a major problem that for so many Americans living without a car is not a realistic option.

Although as an aside, I hate it when former LA residents talk about "lack of options" living there; I've lived in LA and in DC, and I found LA's mass transit to be FAR better than most people realize. I think it's just the fashionable thing to do to bash LA on that front. I think the constant bashing of certain cities for lack of public transit (when it does exist, and is better than most places) and the simultaneous rhapsodizing about the public transit in a few select other cities, makes it easier for the general public to say "yeah, well, I don't live in New York or DC, so I don't have any choice but to rely on my car." I'd like to see more encouragement of people even in the non-traditional public-transit cities to give it a shot as it exists currently, and then build from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning